Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 16th Apr 18, 6:41 AM
    • 6,798Posts
    • 39,722Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 16th April?
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:41 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 16th April? 16th Apr 18 at 6:41 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Page 1
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 16th Apr 18, 6:48 AM
    • 6,798 Posts
    • 39,722 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:48 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:48 AM
    Morning Whoop day 3/3 of work (although it's harsh this week as because I worked the weekend I only have 1 day off tomorrow before going back - however I still have tomorrow off! )

Today:

* working miles away so will get a nice little brucey bonus in expenses
    * take B/L
    * make my lunch & madam's - mine will be a collection of things that need using up
    * quick shower
    * meeting up with dd afterwards and taking her out for dinner - she's low at the moment - will use my staff discount to get 20% off of the bill (paid for with said expenses )
    * plant some seeds tonight
    * think I will have a dip in the hot tub as oh did all the work and set it up yesterday

Ok that's all I can think of right now! I better get a move on if I don't want to be late! Have a great day
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 16th Apr 18, 7:24 AM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 14,326 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:24 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:24 AM
    Morning all thanks for the start DNMS

My list for today:
    Strip last bed - done
    Load of washing out -done
    More washing in -done
    Make enchiladas for DH lunches - going to try and do before school
    A HIIT workout
    Also plan when I'm going to workout this week so I can plan my meals better
    Make something for smalls and parents tea tomorrow night
    Work from Home, need to get ahead as I have a busy, busy week ahead
    DH to gym later, may go and do some weights and a quick sauna if he gets back at a reasonable time
    Dd1 to prepaid swimming lessons
    Check fridge for anything on the turn
    Open some windows
    Switch heating off on timer
    Check banking and surveys
    Measure for a potential sofa we have found

Oh, and as mentioned on my diary I have a frog to eat, been putting it off for weeks. Must eat it today.
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 16th Apr 18, 7:39 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:39 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:39 AM
    Is it sad that I am super excited about putting my washing out on the line to dry today?!?
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 16th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 39,051 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    Morning all
    Looks lovely and sunny outside, and my washing will be going out on the line too Dizzyblnd

Apart from that:
    Check banks and update spreadsheet Done
    Quick tidy round Very quick!
    Bring in baby items donated by sis-in-law from garage, so that DD can have a look to see what she wants to do with them Done, we decided between us that they would stay here. Not needed at home, and the travel cot is better then the one that DD left here. There is also a little chair thing that attaches to a dining chair, so I have told DD that I would prefer to use this for GS, over the Ikea high chair that I bought for GD. Suggested she sell the high chair and put the proceeds towards something else for the children. I'll be glad to see the back of that as it takes up so much space
    Think of some interesting things to do with little GD today - at least she can go outside! DD had to go out for a couple of hours and sadly I was left with screaming colicky baby and GD had to get on with it. Nose somewhat out of joint
    All meals and snacks from home - I think I can avoid going shopping again today I did go, as DD wanted me to get some baby rice for GS. Recorded spends in spending diary / spreadsheet. Forgot to get the garden compost though Will try tomorrow.
    Check seedlings Done
    Check for surveys later Not done, trying day!

Can't think of anything else atm, will be back to update later
    Folded up dry washing and texted my brother to come and get it when passing (it is his)
    Cleaned back porch / conservatory thing which was really mucky
    Washed one of the sofa throws as it was filthy.
    Nice weather is making us all notice the dirt a bit more I think! Envious of the spring cleaning going on, maybe I will get the chance to do a bit tomorrow!
    Last edited by DawnW; 16-04-2018 at 8:23 PM.
    NSDs for April: 9 / 15

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 16th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 25,956 Thanks
    allydowd
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    Hi April Awesomees,

A lovely day off. A year ago I injured my ankle mou
    ntaineering. I'd done a wonderful nine hour climb. All beautiful. Landed heavily on my ankle but thought it was just a jolt. Legs and ankles were tired on the descent but I didn't think I was injured. Awoke the next day to a double-sized ankle in shades of purple and black unable to walk. Ligaments torn from bones. Had rock-climbed and hiked on it for four hours unaware I was injured then drove home on it unaware it was injured. It healed 95% but every so often it has a tantrum. It's a bit swollen today which is annoying because I have stuff to do. I'll do what needs doing then elevate it and use my crutches to walk. (I didn't steal them from the NHS, they're my own pair. )

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Go to library to exchange books and use free WiFi.

* Clean house with Stardrops and washable cloths.

* Routine blood test at Doctor this morning.

* Take up trousers on sewing machine.

* Stop at delivery office to collect parcel. Naught postie keeps sticking a card through without ringing the bell.

* Sort out our banking. DW has purchased a new camera lens. I know it's her money and she can afford it and she loves her photography....but it was expensive, really expensive. It'll bring her joy and get used a lot, but to my thinking it was too much money. Getting 18 Top CashBack on it.

* Maybe do some baking.

* Get DW, a physio, to look at my ankle.

* Restaurant around the corner has a special offer on tonight. We may go.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 17-04-2018 at 9:46 AM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 250

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 16th Apr 18, 8:43 AM
    • 3,069 Posts
    • 23,243 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:43 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:43 AM
    Good Morning All

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off today

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Woke up to gorgeous sunshine, will possibly have a quiet day at home as DH says he's shattered (which is unusual). Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Meat in SC - Done
    Tesco survey - Done
    BIG tidy of under sink cupboard (as it's become a dumping ground) -
    Shopping with list (this is a big maybe) - Done
    Post Ebay sale - Done
    Class 7 of (free) online course -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    Swagbucks -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read -

Have a great day all.

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 16-04-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make 5 per day in Jan 18: 491.91/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 18: 51.40/140 Make 5 per day in Mar 18: 150.36/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 18: 76.03/150
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    Morning everyone

Back after a long, tiring but fantastic weekend. Was awake early very overtired also with a swollen leg so Ally elevation for me aswell which I do admit to finding it very tedious but it does help. How you managed to rock climb and hike on a damaged ankle for 4 hours I don't know
    U reminded me that I needed to check quidco
    Ate out every night while away, shock to my finances but I took budgeted monies with me to cover and extra foodstuffs for snacks so that I didn't spend monies on bitty things
    Planning a day of basically doing nothing but the sun is shining so hoping to get washing out on the line.
    Banking all checked, just about to update spends book.
    Don't need to buy anything, plenty still in that needs using up and after the amount of food my system coped with over the weekend.........its light meals only!
    Right off to do the cat cleaning and get some windows open to air the house....sonice to have good weather.
    Have a good day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=276.42
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 16th Apr 18, 10:16 AM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 11,338 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:16 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:16 AM
    Good morning!

Spring is springing!

Ally - have a good rest with that ankle

Well my washing is also out on the line

Budget sheet was all reconciled and didn't actually look quite as bad as I expected. Food spends are coming down a bit. We just had an expensive start to the month. I also feel some yarny spends coming on...

Got a bit of an annoying day in work. My current project lead is a bit of a flappy type and wants me to write a report today. but I need to process the data before I write the report... but the report is needed etc etc etc
    Just the way he says things is stressing me out.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores - managed to avoid spendyness by knocking up some tuna pasta this morning.
    • Charge phone in work
    • Gym at lunchtime - done
    • Check garden
    • No alcohol
    • Heating off - I have been needing to take the edge off the coolness in the evenings but should be ok now.
    • Ring car insurance people to tell them of hubby's naughtiness
    • Put weird piece of fabric (possibly property of long gone ex boyfriend) into rag bin
    • Nip to B&M for face scrub
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 16-04-2018 at 4:25 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 16th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 749 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Good morning all and thanks for the start Dnms.

Dizzy, I too am very happy to have my washing out on the line drying!
    Ally/Hk, rest up!
    Sods law, the weather is beautiful as the kids have gone back to school today.

Ah well, quick (but long) list from me as I want to be productive whilst I have the house to myself
    Todays list
    ys bread for toast with ds1s scrambled egg
    Ds2 had free breakfast at school breakfast club
    Went to the gym and did a class (first in two weeks - so I may not be able to walk tomorrow!) and refilled water bottle there twice
    My dad picked a few bits up from l1dl for me but wasn't able to the the granny smiths apples so I had to pop to tesc0 on the way back from the gym, got the apples, some ys chicken which we will have with chicken salad tonight and some ys cooking peppers that I will dice and freeze ready for another day.
    Breakfast for me was the last tortilla wrap with a bit of leftover egg mayonaise
    2 loads washed on the quick 30 degree wash and out on the line
    3rd load going in next and out on the line
    Check banking/update spreadsheet
    Record mileage
    Dice and freeze the peppers
    Families packed lunches for tomorrow
    ironing - might leave this for tomorrow when its forecast to be wet
    Hoover everywhere
    Priority job ** Deep clean downstairs toilet / bathroom and showeroom - as having the kids and friends over means they're not smelling too sweet! Done - Good job none of the men in my life are home right now as I would be shouting!

** Given the dishwasher a scrub out and now running normal wash with 1/4 cup of vinegar in it to freshen up

Right I've finished my so better get cracking although I hope to add lots more to the list as the day goes on!
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 16-04-2018 at 5:55 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 16th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 25,956 Thanks
    allydowd
    Was awake early very overtired also with a swollen leg so Ally elevation for me as well which I do admit to finding it very tedious but it does help. How you managed to rock climb and hike on a damaged ankle for 4 hours I don't know
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties
    Sorry, to hear your trouble; take care of yourself. I know you have a bigger issue than I have.

I think I survived the hike because my boots were strapped tight and they were acting as a splint. The consultant couldn't understand why I didn't feel it either. We think it was adrenaline!

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 16th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 25,956 Thanks
    allydowd
    * Bought lots of YS food in Morrison's, including some sour cherry sauce for 25p.

* Froze tiger bread loaf in lots of four slices.

* Washed bedroom curtains in machine. I used to always dry-clean them, til I discovered this was completedly unnecessary.

* DW and I Spring Cleaned the bedroom. Yikes! White coloured bedroom mats were looking awful, even after a wash and so I turned them over and removed the stitched in label and it looks like a new pair of mats! 0 spent.
    Last edited by allydowd; 16-04-2018 at 5:24 PM.

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 16th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 11,338 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta

* DW and I deep cleaned the bedroom. Yikes! White coloured bedroom mats were looking awful, even after a wash and so I turned them over and removed the stitched in label and it looks like a new pair of mats! 0 spent.
    Originally posted by allydowd
    Try soaking them in the cheapo Whizz oxy vanish stuff. it gets my nets quite good.

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 16th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 25,956 Thanks
    allydowd
    Try soaking them in the cheapo Whizz oxy vanish stuff. it gets my nets quite good.
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Thanks, we're trying that with the bathroom mat. Failing that it is getting bleached. It was only 75p in Ikea so if the bleach kills it we can afford another. It is nearly 10 years old.
    Last edited by allydowd; 16-04-2018 at 5:18 PM.

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 16th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 25,956 Thanks
    allydowd

* Washed sitting room curtains in machine. I wasn't sure how they'd fare as we bought them secondhand and they'd never been washed . They've come up lovely. We've just hung them back up and left the window open for the sea breeze to dry them.

* DW and I Spring Cleaned the bathroom, sitting room and kitchen using mainly Stardrops and washable cloths.
    Last edited by allydowd; 16-04-2018 at 5:28 PM.

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 16th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 11,338 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Ok....

Get car ins renewal. Last year 396. This year 364.

Not bad methinks. But now I need to tell them about hubby getting 3 points for speeding.

Call car ins people. Tell them. Lady very nice. Goes through all details.. yep yep yep.

"ok", she says. "I've applied as much discount as I can and your renewal is 278.14".

I'm confused but happy

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 16th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 20,403 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Monday peeps,
    Hope I have better luck with this post. Yesterday's post was gobbled up before my eyes & I just cba to type the whole thing out again. Today's efforts:
    *Rubber chicken. It did a roast yesterday, chicken salad with jackets tonight & I have also divvied up sufficient for stew, spicy pizza & either fajhitas or stir-fry. Big jug of stock made from carcass in slow cooker.
    *Cheap overnight laundry load plus 1x 30 min load at 30 deg & all dried beautifully for now't outside on the whirlygig.
    *Sowed scallopini, courgettes & guatemalan blue squash seeds.
    *Checked & watered all other baby veg plants.
    *Picked a bowl of lambs' lettuce.
    *Updated grocery budget & swapped some funds around to keep different pots straight.
    *Mixed up a sourdough loaf for baking tomorrow morning.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Sorted seedbox to plan next veggies for sowing. Still got the later stuff like beans & sweetcorn to do.
    *Free leisure listening to audiobook - a trilogy about a virus breaking out. Think I will defo order in parts 2 & 3. It's quite exciting & a bit different from my usual choices of reading material.
    Time to see how many questions we can get right on 'University Challenge'. I've eaten really healthily today so should be super-brainy.........haha.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 621-10
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 174
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th Apr 18, 6:24 AM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 14,326 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all, I did all of my list yesterday so that was good. I also managed to get 4 loads of washing done and dried and half put away another load has done overnight so that will be pegged out shortly. Then I'll be up to date and all beds have been changed

My list today:

Check surveys - getting back in the swing of them
    Check banking, quiet time of the month nothing going on
    Check cc to see if refund processed
    Pork and chorizo in sc for parents tea
    Packed lunches for DH, dd and I. I'm having left over Black bean stew, may take a little pot of yogurt with me as it was rather spicy first time round and it tends to develop I seem to remember
    Try and go to gym tonight if back at a decent time, if not do a Home workout instead
    Update shopping spreadsheet
    Book holiday insurance and research parking at airport, will use c/b sites

Right off to see what I can get done before the house wakes up.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 17th Apr 18, 6:32 AM
    • 6,798 Posts
    • 39,722 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Purps I have the day off whoop! I have things I really need to get done so I am just going to focus on those, in order of priority...

* do a load of washing & hang out

* cook chicken breast for oh's lunch - ys wrap with salad
    * plant seeds - my cumbers and 1 tomato seedling have germinated
    * go through finances & straighten out accounts
    * flylady
    * go to the allotment for a couple of hours
    * make a list of items needed to make a dress form
    * L will be whatever needs using up
    * D is salmon from when I bought a whole salmon and filleted it
    * hunt in madam's room for her pe top found it

Ok that's all for now. Going to finish my coffee then get madam ready for school Happy days guys
    Last edited by determined new ms; 17-04-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 17th Apr 18, 7:55 AM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 20,403 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Frugalistas,
    A 'short' day for me today, as need to go out early evening for a meeting. Today's plans:
    *2 baths from 1 lot of hot water - done.
    *Bake sourdough loaf I mixed up yesterday (currently in oven).
    *Phone plumber again.....not money saving in some ways but it is longer term as this damned leak is damaging our work surface & I can't get at it to try & do a temporary fix.
    *Pot up more seedlings (all free seeds) & sprinkle some free packets of annuals around my borders for a bit more colour.
    *Clear & dig over bed intended for climbing beans.
    *Continue sewing in ends on my little blanket squares before crocheting them together - thrift project using stash.
    *Tomorrow's packed lunch is leftovers from freezer.
    *De-clutter cat cupboard.
    *Pack charity bag.
    *Update my DFW diary if time.
    *Cooking a new recipe tonight.....see if I can stretch ingredients to 4 portions so as to freeze a couple.
    Ok, bread smelling good, must go & take it out & crack on.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 621-10
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 174
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,674Posts Today

8,655Users online

Martin's Twitter