Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • claire07
    • By claire07 16th Apr 18, 6:02 AM
    • 517Posts
    • 149Thanks
    claire07
    Buying new car
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:02 AM
    Buying new car 16th Apr 18 at 6:02 AM
    I would appreciate any advice. My beloved 05 Ford Ka has just failed itís MOT and requires a lot of welding due to corrosion so have regretfully decided itís reached the end of the road.

Iím looking at a modern day equivalent such as Hyundai i10, Skoda Citigo, etc., and would most likely buy new and keep. Iíve had quotes from carwow but Iíve also seen quotes from online brokers such as buyanewcaronline which quote much lower delivered. This appeals as I dread going to a dealer and have to bat them off as I donít want extras just a basic car but are these online brokers safe?

Also am I likely to be able to go somewhere which has a scrappage scheme? As my Ka failed and only has a few weeks left on the MOT would it qualify or would nowhere be interested?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Page 1
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 16th Apr 18, 7:36 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:36 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:36 AM
    If you're getting a decent discount you are unlikely to get a 'scrappage' allowance, this will usually be applied to the list price in lieu of other discounts.

I have no experience of the online brokers but would suggest doing a bit of research before committing and paying the deposit on a credit card so you have some protection.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 16th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 2,044 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    Carwow direct you towards a dealer or dealers. If you go this route check offers allow for part exchange(many do) if that is what you want.
    Make sure you have written down the exact specs of the car you want. It will help stiffen your resolve if they start to pressure you. I think it is quite common to get offered a car which they already have in stock. The benefit for you is you don't have to wait and also the cars often have the odd extra which in practice they don't charge for.
    • claire07
    • By claire07 17th Apr 18, 7:41 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    claire07
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:41 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:41 AM
    Many thanks for the helpful replies. I realise a new car isn't very moneysaving but I know very little about cars and I just want the peace of mind.

I will narrow down exactly the specs I want and make sure I pay the deposit with a credit card.

I'll start a new thread asking for advice when I have a few potential candidates!
    • almillar
    • By almillar 17th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    almillar
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    Surely the modern day equivalent of the old Ka, is the new Ka?
    Carwow is great for getting good prices out of dealers, and you can pin them down to the particular spec you want. You'll also get offers for cars in stock that will save on delivery times.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 18th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    What I did was go to a couple of local dealers and ask if they would match online brokers. They said yes but only if I bought before the end of March, when they get their sales bonus. At this time of year they may have pre-registered cars and they might match the online brokers. Okay, you get an off the shelf car, and you don't get to choose options, but it's basically new albeit technically second hand. If they say no, go to another branch, or a totally separate dealership and try again. I found VW good, but with Audi I couldn't even get to talk to sales staff and the showroom was full of ever so trendy youngish people!!!!

Another point, when I bought I was told to take out PCP with VW. That gave an automatic £500 discount. After collecting the car, I paid off the PCP within the week i.e. ASAP. The contract allows you to pay it off whenever you like with no penalty, you just pay the interest acrued if any. I kept the £500 discount so the total discount was about £2000 on a £16,500 car before discount.

You often see nearly new cars for sale at the dealers which were demonstrators, but they are sold for the same price as a new car from an online broker, sometimes more!

I still have my 2012 VW UP which I am selling. I recommend this car, as well as the Skoda Citigo, very good mpg, nice perky engine, much much much quieter and more powerful than the Ka, but the Ka is a fun car to drive.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 18th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    Surely the modern day equivalent of the old Ka, is the new Ka?
    Carwow is great for getting good prices out of dealers, and you can pin them down to the particular spec you want. You'll also get offers for cars in stock that will save on delivery times.
    Originally posted by almillar
    Totally different car, it's basically the Fiat 500 with all of the joie de vivre removed!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    Many thanks for the helpful replies. I realise a new car isn't very moneysaving but I know very little about cars and I just want the peace of mind.
    Originally posted by claire07
    Absolutely nothing wrong with getting a new car if you want a new one, even a brand spanking new one fresh off the assembly line. Its when people con themselves into believing they're wanting to do it to save money that's the problem because you never ever do. The first owner of my Mondeo lost £16k in the two years he owned it. You could take my old car it replaced, blow the engine up, seize the gearbox, throw it off a cliff, drag it back up again, completely rebuild it, replace the engine and gearbox and put it on the road for half what that guy lost in depreciation.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 18-04-2018 at 1:59 PM.
    • Woodsy
    • By Woodsy 19th Apr 18, 12:58 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Woodsy
    • 19th Apr 18, 12:58 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 12:58 PM
    Hi, you lose sooo much money on a new car which I guess isn't a factor when you are keeping it permanently but I would advise looking at a 1 or 2 year old car for big savings. These car typically may have only done 5-10k miles, perhaps still under warranty etc.
    Good luck.
    What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
    • claire07
    • By claire07 20th Apr 18, 7:17 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    claire07
    Many thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

I thought I would start by going to a Hyundai dealer and was eventually offered £1500 off as a discount/scrappage deal if I bought an i10. I'm also thinking of going to Motorpoint for a look at other options.

I am interested in either Hyundai i10, Skoda Citigo or Suzuki Celerio and would be interested in which people would choose.
    • Alisha2008
    • By Alisha2008 20th Apr 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Alisha2008
    I agree with Woodsy, even to keep it a new car is a waste of money. 1-2 year old are as good as new. I've had a couple of Hyundai Atos in Spain for more than 10 years (equivalent to i10 I believe) and they've been brillant (for what they are, just a little city car).
    • S t e v e
    • By S t e v e 20th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    S t e v e
    Hi Claire

I'm in exactly the same situation. My daughters 2008 KA has just had lots of welding done on one side to get through the MOT but they warn the other side will probably need doing next year and it might be better to get rid of it.

Problem is now the MOT history shows welding done and a warning for next time it's going to be difficult to sell privately. That's when I found out that some manufacturers are offering Scrappage schemes on new cars.

If we can get £2000 scrappage off a new car that has a discounted price of around £8800 on Carwow (£10000 list price) that's looking cheaper than getting a nearly new car. Also you get a warranty which can be up to 7 years if it's a KIA Picanto (the latest version gets good reviews).

I'm not sure how the Scrappage works with the discounts offered.

So I'm at the same stage as you. I'd be interested to know how you get on.
    Steve
    • macman
    • By macman 20th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 41,889 Posts
    • 17,377 Thanks
    macman
    Online brokers are perfectly safe as long as you use one where you pay the supplying dealer, and the dealer pays the commission. Get a best price from them and ask the dealer to match it.
    If you are going for a Hyundai, check if you or spouse qualify for the Affinity scheme, which is very broad.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • melbury
    • By melbury 21st Apr 18, 10:54 AM
    • 10,035 Posts
    • 15,743 Thanks
    melbury
    My 54 plate Ford KA (which I loved driving) had to go three years ago due to excessive corrosion, despite only having done 45,000 miles Why is it that Fords rust so much? Our previous Fiestas did as well.

I spent ages checking out small cars and eventually got a cracking deal on a VW Move Up! that was only 9 months old and had just been reduced by £2,000. It had been a demonstrator at a large VW dealership and I just happened to see it at the right time. (I paid £6,995, new with all the extras it would have cost over £11,000).

I would really recommend that you try and find a car that is almost new, especially if it has been a demonstrator, as it still comes with any remaining warranty (in my case over two years) and I got a far higher spec car than I would have been able to afford new (air con, alloy wheels, maps & more, etc). Also the £20 per year road tax and 50+ to the gallon was a big incentive
    Last edited by melbury; 21-04-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• JP1978
    • By JP1978 21st Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    JP1978
    If you are buying new and keeping for a long time, surely the Hyundai or Kia equivalent would be the one to look at - they have the longest warranties.
    • claire07
    • By claire07 23rd Apr 18, 7:22 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    claire07
    Many thanks for all the suggestions which I have thought about. I went to a local Skoda dealer, liked the Citigo for what I require in a car, and even though new might not seem good value they are willing to give a good scrappage deal on my Ka.

I was offered what amounted to about £8000 to buy a new Citigo in the colour and higher spec if I took out the finance package and cancelled it after 2 months. As I was expecting a better deal for cash (well it is 13 years since I bought my previous car!) I was not expecting that but it sounds as though that is a regular occurrence nowadays.

Considering it is supposed to be a very popular car I must admit I haven't seen many on the roads whereas there seem a lot of the Hyundai i10 which was my other possibility.
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 23rd Apr 18, 8:47 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Tiexen
    Totally different car, it's basically the Fiat 500 with all of the joie de vivre removed!
    Originally posted by BananaRepublic
    Your about 2 years out of date the "New" KA is a cut down Fiesta

But if I wanted a cheap to run reliable runabout i'd get a Toyata Aygo.

From What Car:

The Aygo was the most reliable city car that featured in our most recent reliability survey. Owners reported fewer faults than drivers of the Citigo, i10 and Volkswagen Up, while Toyota was the third most reliable manufacturer (out of 32) in the survey, behind only Mitsubishi and Lexus.
    Last edited by Tiexen; 23-04-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 23rd Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    • 10,035 Posts
    • 15,743 Thanks
    melbury
    I wondered what the new Ford Ka would be like as I didn't like the previous version, but so far haven't seen any on the road so they can't be that popular.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• Alisha2008
    • By Alisha2008 26th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Alisha2008
    Give it some time, it just came out! It has the size of an old fiesta and I like it (as much as I can like a Ford, which is not that much )
    • photome
    • By photome 26th Apr 18, 4:51 PM
    • 13,097 Posts
    • 8,651 Thanks
    photome
    Give it some time, it just came out! It has the size of an old fiesta and I like it (as much as I can like a Ford, which is not that much )
    Originally posted by Alisha2008
    Unless I am mistaken the new KA came out in 2016, there are plenty about and they are ugly IMO
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,189Posts Today

7,106Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin