Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fred1987
    • By Fred1987 16th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fred1987
    Defaults approaching 6 years
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    Defaults approaching 6 years 16th Apr 18 at 12:27 AM
    Looking for abit of advise in what the best route to take is, i have 3 defaults on my credit file from June 2013 totalling 3000 from utility bills from a previous address.

I have not paid anything or cannot remember the last letter I received.

I have secured a good permenat job where I can realistically purchase a house with a deposit that will take me a year to save for June 2019 approx.

Will these 3 debts/defaults be wiped 6 years after the first default date? I calculate this as June 2019 as they were registed June 2013.
Page 1
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 16th Apr 18, 1:26 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:26 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:26 AM
    Yes they will be gone in June '19.

But do you genuinely owe this money? If you do, please pay it. If you can seriously save a deposit (and I had 30K as my house deposit) in a little over a year, then not being funny, 3k is a drop in the ocean.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 16th Apr 18, 5:16 AM
    • 12,170 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:16 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:16 AM
    Looking for abit of advise in what the best route to take is, i have 3 defaults on my credit file from June 2013 totalling 3000 from utility bills from a previous address.

I have not paid anything or cannot remember the last letter I received.

I have secured a good permenat job where I can realistically purchase a house with a deposit that will take me a year to save for June 2019 approx.

Will these 3 debts/defaults be wiped 6 years after the first default date? I calculate this as June 2019 as they were registed June 2013.
    Originally posted by Fred1987
    Yes, defaults drop off after 6 years. If the present debt owner is looking to get a court judgement (which would create its own entry lasting 6 years) then that process would probably commence this year.

See if anyone writes now that the addresses are linked through your credit file.
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 16th Apr 18, 6:15 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:15 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:15 AM
    As above - creditors are also aware of the 6 year limit so tend to take the most aggressive action in the last year or so.

If they go for a CCJ - which will be at their last known address for you - and you don't respond within 30 days of receiving it (which you won't as it will likely go to your last address) then the 6 year clock is reset.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Fred1987
    • By Fred1987 16th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fred1987
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    Thanks for the reply, i will no way be saving 30k, maybe 7-10k at best and will look on the first time buyers scheme.

Its a messy situation i was in a house with 4 other people and registered my name to the utilities, never got paid and have this small debt. Back when i explained i was only 1.4 of the debt they were not interested.
    • Fred1987
    • By Fred1987 16th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fred1987
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    In regards to a CCJ, would they normally give me a letter of warning that they are persuing this course of action or would a CCJ notice just be issued?

Thanks
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    You would have letters from the collection agencies or the companies you have the debts with warning you of an impending CCJ - these will be sent to the address they have registered for you on their systems.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    • 13,776 Posts
    • 13,092 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    Can I just add that a county court judgement does not just get awarded.

A creditor must follow civil procedure rules, and the pre-action protocol (Google it).

If they start a court claim, you should respond to it, and defend it on the basis you were only 1/4 liable for the debt.

That is your Defense.

That is the whole idea of a court, to obtain justice, not to railroad you.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 16-04-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Fred1987
    • By Fred1987 16th Apr 18, 11:26 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fred1987
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:26 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:26 AM
    Im just concerned i may not receive the letters, half of me feels i dont owe the money and let it drop off and another side feels its not worth CCJS for 3000. Surely they have to send CCJ to my current address to give me a chance to defend,
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    If the accounts you are in default with are registered to your current address.

If you feel you don't owe them then you should make contact with them rather than leaving them hoping they will go away - especially after 5 years....

Just don't acknowledge the debts and ask them to send you proof that you owe them etc,
    • Brock_and_Roll
    • By Brock_and_Roll 16th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    Brock_and_Roll
    "Surely they have to send CCJ to my current address to give me a chance to defend"

Yes indeed...If you have provided them with your current address. Otherwise they are only obliged to send it to your last known address.

Might be a nerve-wracking wait if you do nothing. In this modern digital age, people are pretty easy to track down unless you happen to be John Smith and have zero social media presence.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

271Posts Today

3,203Users online

Martin's Twitter