Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maisey98
    • By Maisey98 15th Apr 18, 11:15 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Maisey98
    Aggregating earlier LGPS Benifits
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:15 PM
    Aggregating earlier LGPS Benifits 15th Apr 18 at 11:15 PM
    Hi, hopefully this is a fairly easy query, but I would appreciate some advice on whether or not to aggregate my pensions.

I am currently working for local government, and I have deferred benefits from a previous LGPS membership 1986-96 with a current Retirement Pension of 2448 and a Retirement Grant of 7345 payable when I'm 60 (currently 50) - I assume that the grant is a lump sum payment ?

As I have greater than a 5 year gap, I only have the option of aggregating on an earned pension basis, where I would be awarded a Earned Pension of 3810 payable at State Pension Age (67).

My initial thoughts are not to aggregate as I can take my deferred benefits pension at 60 and whilst the earned pension is higher it does not come in to play until I'm 67. My rough calcs seem to show that I would need to reach an age of 84 before the increase in earned pension caught up with the earlier paying deferred benefits ?

I believe the only negative from not combining is the reduced pension if I were to leave my current employment due to ill health or redundancy ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 16th Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    • 2,540 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    You've got a pretty good handle on it, Maisie.

The easiest way to compare the two pension options would be to convert them both to show the maximum 25% tax free lump sum conversion. So,

2448 pension plus 7345.00 lump sum or 1967.20 pension plus 13,114.64 lump sum at age 60.

3810 pension or 2449 pension plus 16,328.57 lump sum at 67.
    Or, if taken at 60, 3810 pension - 30% early retirement reduction = 2667.
    Commutation = 1714.50 plus 11430.00 lump sum.

Possibly not as much of a difference as you may have thought? Of course, if you do combine then you won't have the option of taking these benefits at 60 while you carry on working full time (flexible retirement is another matter!).

So, leave separate if you know that you would take this little pension at 60, or combine if you think that you may be made redundant (or retire) after age 55 but before age 60.

Ill health benefits are paid regardless of age, and so if the worse were to happen you would have access to both pensions combined or not.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 16-04-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    • Maisey98
    • By Maisey98 16th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Maisey98
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    Hi Silvertabby, That's some great information that helps me with my decision - Thanks.

On the ill heath front are you saying that the deferred benefits from a previous LG employment would be payable if I had to cease work due to ill heath in my current LG employment, although there is a gap of nearly 20 years between the two employments ?
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 16th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    • 2,540 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    Hi Silvertabby, That's some great information that helps me with my decision - Thanks.

On the ill heath front are you saying that the deferred benefits from a previous LG employment would be payable if I had to cease work due to ill heath in my current LG employment, although there is a gap of nearly 20 years between the two employments ?
    Originally posted by Maisey98
    Yes, although you would have to apply through (and be approved by) both employers/Local Authorities. In the case of your deferred pension, that would be paid without any ill health enhancements, but on the other hand it wouldn't be actuarily reduced for early payment. However, your current pension would be enhanced (assuming Tier 1 or 2).

Any difference between combining/not combining would be down to the fact that if you did combine and were then ill-health retired the higher pension you would have been given on transfer wouldn't be reduced for early payment.

It's real crystal ball stuff, I'm afraid !
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 16-04-2018 at 1:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,317Posts Today

9,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin