Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RichardD111
    • By RichardD111 15th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    RichardD111
    Civil Enforcement LTD Please Help!
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    Civil Enforcement LTD Please Help! 15th Apr 18 at 9:56 PM
    Hello, we are looking for some help with a letter my wife has received from Civil Enforcement LTD.

Last week out of the blue my wife received a letter from Civil Enforcement LTD, titled LETTER OF NOTIFICATION REGARDING KEEPER LIABILITY. requesting payment of 100.00 for a parking ticket we knew nothing about.

it said it has been 30 days since they issued a parking notice, but we have received nothing prior to this letter, it goes on to say in accordance with Schedule 4 of the protection of freedoms act 2012 as the registered keeper of the vehicle you are now liable for the full amount outstanding for this PCN for the reasons listed below.

The letter gives us the car registration number, my wife name and address as well as date of the alleged incident, it is possible she was parked in that car park but there is no chance that a ticket was not purchased, and we had no ticket put on the car. The letter does not show a photo of our vehicle. it says we cant appeal as it has been 30 days since they issued us with the parking charge notice but we have received nothing until this letter.

the letter end saying if we don't pay within 14 days they will instruct a third party collection agent! i have tried to find a number to call them but all i can do is make an automated payment, not speak to anyone.

Any help in moving forward would be gratefully received, this cant be legal practice?

Many thanks,
Page 1
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 15th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    • 10,509 Posts
    • 9,833 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    Have you actually read the NEWBIES thread or searched for CEL on this forum? So much information already on file and it's not fair on the regulars who as you can see are inundated with current threads if newbies haven't done their basic homework.

Just do as I suggest and then target your questions after getting up to speed.

Thanks.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    • 8,733 Posts
    • 8,634 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    i have tried to find a number to call them but all i can do is make an automated payment, not speak to anyone.
    Originally posted by RichardD111
    Phew!! That was lucky, wasn't it?

For two reasons:
    1) your wife is the registered keeper of the car, not you, and it is your wife that is answerable to CEL.
    2) everyone is advised never to phone a private parking company. There is a great risk that in doing so the caller will give away vital information in answer to apparently innocuous questions.

As Guy's Dad says, you really need to read post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ thread before doing anything else.
    Last edited by KeithP; 15-04-2018 at 10:18 PM.
    • RichardD111
    • By RichardD111 15th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RichardD111
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    Hi, i'm sorry, its the first time i have used a forum, i did spend a long time reading related threads but i found the information mind boggling, it seemed you need specific information depending on your situation and i couldn't find anyone who had not received an initial parking fine, i don't want to upset anyone but i'm at a loss with how to respond to them.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 8,733 Posts
    • 8,634 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    Richard, if you now read post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread, you will see in there:
    Q - ''I have read the NEWBIES thread but cannot find anything specific to my case...my case is different''.

A - NO IT ISN'T. YOU DO NOT NEED SPECIFICS. FORGET THE DETAIL, MOST CASES ARE ALL THE SAME.
    If you read a bit further, you will find a template appeal.

Suggest the registered keeper sends that appeal just as it is to the parking company.

When sending the appeal, the appellant must make sure they do not give away the identity of the driver.
    • RichardD111
    • By RichardD111 15th Apr 18, 10:27 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RichardD111
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:27 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:27 PM
    Thank you for this Keith, i'm struggling to find #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

i'm sorry, this is completely new to me.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 8,733 Posts
    • 8,634 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    You are looking for a thread with the title:
    **NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!

It is always one of the first four threads in the thread index list and is currently the third thrad on that list.

Just one click on your browser's back button from here will take you to the thread index list. It the same place where you found the 'start new thread button'.

Every post on every thread has a number.
    For example, this is post #7 on this thread.
    So post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread is the first post on that thread.
    • RichardD111
    • By RichardD111 15th Apr 18, 10:36 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RichardD111
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:36 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:36 PM
    Got it, thank you
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Apr 18, 1:12 AM
    • 60,110 Posts
    • 73,256 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:12 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:12 AM
    So then email the appeal to CEL, exactly the same as this thread, which is exactly like yours:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5827725

I even show the OP where to appeal online, using the portal on their website (of course).
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 16-04-2018 at 1:26 AM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• RichardD111
    • By RichardD111 16th Apr 18, 1:33 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RichardD111
    Thank you Coupon-mad, yes its exactly the same situation.

can i just ask a quick question? in the appeal letter it identifies the reason for appeal as

"Your signage terms fail the test of 'large lettering' and prominence of the parking charge, as established inParkingEye Ltd v Beavis, which is fully distinguished.

is this correct for my appeal, as my wife wasn't even sure if she was in the car park that day, and if this is correct, should i include that as the registered owner of the vehicle she has not received a pcn or notice to keeper, before this letter arrived (on the 3rd of April 18) with the alleged date of the incident being 20/02/18.

hope this makes sense, thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Apr 18, 1:37 AM
    • 60,110 Posts
    • 73,256 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    is this correct for my appeal,
    Yes, always. Every time.

my wife wasn't even sure if she was in the car park that day, and if this is correct, should i include that as the registered owner of the vehicle
    No such thing as a registered owner.

Your words above would tell CEL who was driving, so you do not write 'I am not even sure of I was in the car park so...'.

Use the template! In your wife's name, OBVS! Not yours!

No need to add anything, pointless, not needed for CEL.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• RichardD111
    • By RichardD111 16th Apr 18, 1:43 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RichardD111
    Thank you all for your help,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,463Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin