Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MindOnMyMoney
    • By MindOnMyMoney 15th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MindOnMyMoney
    Why the **** did I move to Nottingham!
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    Why the **** did I move to Nottingham! 15th Apr 18 at 9:45 PM
    Long story short, I was offered unpaid training by a friend in a field which interested me. I was self employed and living in Glasgow at the time, so I thought I'd relocate, carry on my self employment when I land in Nottingham and use that to fund life.

Then life threw spanners in the works, laughed, and said no.

So here I am. Living in said friend's (dad's) spare room, super thankful every day that they're being super charitable and not taking a penny from me in rent...... but I've been here four months now and just started a new 'regular' job, so it's time to do the SOA, 'fess up to my sins and face the long slog to getting my independence back.

****!

SOA.

I have four weeks of full time income during my work training period then I'm down to my contracted 25hrs per week, so right now it looks something like his:

4wk @ 8.5ph x 7.5hrs per day x 5 days pw = 318pw before tax / ins/ pension
    Then
    25hrs pw @ 8.5ph = 212 before break deductions, tax etc.

My current outgoings are:

Travel to work 22pw
    100 PCM to Bank of Mum (total debt 800)
    100 PCM to HMRC (700 left to pay for 16-17, need to find my log in details to see what I owe for this year :/ )
    25 PCM to Vanquis credit card (385 outstanding)

SO, the plan is, skim along for as long as I'm welcome here paying everything I have to try clear these debts before I then start saving to get a place of my own and start all over again.

I know I can do it, it's just..... lets say a smidge stressful.

Hi everyone. Thanks for reading my whining x
Page 1
    • savetosave
    • By savetosave 15th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    savetosave
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    Hi
    Are you being paid weekly or monthly?
    Would your parents let you miss a month so you could pay off your credit card first?
    Do you not have any other expenses at all?
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 16th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    Starmummy
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    good luck on your journey
    • MindOnMyMoney
    • By MindOnMyMoney 28th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MindOnMyMoney
    • 28th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 28th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    Hi
    Are you being paid weekly or monthly?
    Would your parents let you miss a month so you could pay off your credit card first?
    Do you not have any other expenses at all?
    Originally posted by savetosave
    Thankfully I'm being paid weekly. As for skipping some months of paying my mother back, that's not an option, I don't want to burden her commitments with my c**k ups, but it's manageable for now.

At the moment all my expenses are listed above - except from hostel payments. I need to book hostels for two saturdays of the month when the local bus service doesn't get me to work on a Sunday morning.... but now that I've passed training I expect I can pull in some overtime to start making that up.

good luck on your journey
    Originally posted by Starmummy
    Thank you Starmummy ^_^
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 53,953 Posts
    • 213,747 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 28th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 28th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,707Posts Today

7,824Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin