Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PThome
    • By PThome 15th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 65Thanks
    PThome
    How do you do to move out and in in the same day?
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    How do you do to move out and in in the same day? 15th Apr 18 at 9:27 PM
    Hi,

We are hopefully completing very soon (hopefully exchanging next week, after our buyer drop-out early January, luckily we got another offer few weeks after). We decided not to do any packing until exchange, due to what happened before, however on Friday we were told completion date can happen before the end of the Month ( and ).

So, I have to start to organise the removal company, etc, however I cannot imagine how to move out and in in the same day???? The company only collect the furniture and boxes in the morning of the completion!!! How do you have time to clean the house?

Can you please share your experiences? Is this not so scary as it looks like?

Thanks and good luck for all waiting to complete soon!
Page 3
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 31,675 Posts
    • 19,976 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I would add to that list loo paper,soap and a towel.
    Also pack a complete change of clothers for every one (ready for the next day).
    When you do move in make sure the beds are made asap, nothing worse than being ready for bed after a busy day and it isn't made.
    Originally posted by tealady
    Things like phone charger would be handy too.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 17th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    vicki2221
    I'm moving next Thursday, and have taken notes of these great tips!
    Save 12k in 2018 #130 - 1200/7,000
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 17th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 49,324 Thanks
    kerri gt

When moving day gets closer, make a list of essentials to *not* pack - this would include a bag with clothes for each person, your hoover and other cleaning materials, bedding, and enough crockery and cutlery to use.
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    When we've moved (both moving ourselves and removal services) only hanging clothes have been 'packed' as such (ourselves these were on hangers in the back of the car, removal service used wardrobe boxes) For clothes in draws the draws were simply removed from the draw units with clothes in situ and replaced at the new destination. For smaller draws, the complete unit was just picked up - moved and put in its new home. There isn't a need to empty everything if its going with you.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• easterbunni
    • By easterbunni 17th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    easterbunni
    Packed ourselves in the weeks leading up to the move, and used a removals firm - the house was empty by 1030! Had a couple of hours to kill so used that time to call the Councils, phone company etc, triple and quadruple check nothing was left behind, clean, have lunch in the local cafe, and then pootle the 25 miles to the new house.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 17th Apr 18, 4:19 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    dunroving
    Some great tips in this thread. I am lucky in that I hope to move without the whole "same day" issue (i.e., I can move before completion on my own house).

The one thing that sticks out above all else for me is paying the extra to have stuff packed. I was going to only have a fragile item and kitchen pack, but I think I may go the "whole hog", or at least close to it. I figure all my clothes except formal jackets, etc. can be folded and put into the many luggage bags I have. My books and other sturdy or soft stuff are already packed. I figure the time it would take me to figure out how to pack the awkward shaped stuff, I'm better off leaving it to the experts.

I was fascinated by the various opinions on whether you would/should clean your house. I can't imagine just doing a 20-minute run-through with the hoover, and am considering paying a local company to do a deep clean. Even though the buyer may start off by doing a clean, it doesn't mean you should leave it uncleaned. Interestingly, I found on the TA6 (Law Society Property Information Form), the seller does tick a box (Section 14.4) that confirms (or otherwise) they will ensure that, "all rubbish will be removed from the property ... and that the property will be left in a clean and tidy condition"
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th Apr 18, 4:29 PM
    • 7,667 Posts
    • 7,810 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I can't imagine just doing a 20-minute run-through with the hoover, and am considering paying a local company to do a deep clean. I found on the TA6 (Law Society Property Information Form), the seller does tick a box (Section 14.4) that confirms (or otherwise) they will ensure that, "all rubbish will be removed from the property ... and that the property will be left in a clean and tidy condition"
    Originally posted by dunroving
    "Clean and tidy" does not mean that you need to do a deep clean. I suspect most buyers would prefer just to get the keys and start moving in rather than be told they need to wait for your cleaners to finish scrubbing.
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 17th Apr 18, 4:50 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    Personally, and dont get me wrong it did irk me, i found that the first thing you do when move into a new home, is tutt and curse at the state the the last people have left it in. And give it a damn good clean yourself.
    This time, when we retire and move to our final home i am going to do ZERO cleaning in the house we leave, other than what would normally be done, and cut out the middle man!
    Last edited by AylesburyDuck; 17-04-2018 at 4:55 PM.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 17th Apr 18, 4:50 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    dunroving
    "Clean and tidy" does not mean that you need to do a deep clean. I suspect most buyers would prefer just to get the keys and start moving in rather than be told they need to wait for your cleaners to finish scrubbing.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    As per my post, I'm not doing everything the same day, so they won't have to wait for "my" cleaners. ;-)

My point was mainly to an earlier post that said there was no requirement to leave the house clean. Depending on which box you tick on the TA6, there is some responsibility to at least consider whether you intend to leave the house clean. I've bought houses in the past that seemed like pigs lived there. I think the attitude is "I'll never see those people again, so why should I care whet they think?", but (to me, at least) there's an element of respect for other people in not leaving a house uncleaned.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 17th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 4,571 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I can't even do it in 3 days.
    Hats off to you guys!

"Broom clean" is the legal term used in the US to reflect the condition in which you leave your former property. I've never heard of a UK version, just whatever is in the contract I guess.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 17th Apr 18, 5:27 PM
    • 11,624 Posts
    • 11,234 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    If completion is at 1pm that means the time when the house is owned by the buyers. This time has nothing to do with when the sellers feel like moving out or cleaning. At 1pm the sellers no longer own the house so they have no right to be in there or leave anything in there or be still moving out. The fact that buyers might not be moving in at 1pm doesn't alter the fact that is it their house then and no one else has the right to be in it.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    I can't imagine any buyers being upset about the sellers still being in the house after completion if they are there cleaning and the buyers haven't got there yet!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 17th Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 49,324 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I can't imagine any buyers being upset about the sellers still being in the house after completion if they are there cleaning and the buyers haven't got there yet!
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    The last thing I wanted to do when we were moving was have to start cleaning - though I left our previous property spotless myself. We obviously lucked out with our vendors as they left the house spotless (including cleaning the oven and having the dishwasher repair man out on the day they were moving due to it having stopped working) I didn't have to clean a thing when we moved in.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Apr 18, 6:39 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 6,245 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    They have every right to be upset. The ex owners are in a house that they don't own anymore. Legally the sellers have no right to be there. Think of someone going into your house without your permission and proceeding to clean it. Would you be happy for them to be there even if you were out at the time?

The point about completion is that people sign to say that they will give vacant possession on completion if they are still in the house doing things they haven't given vacant possession at the time that the house no longer belongs to them. The keys have to be handed over or made available to the new owners at 1.00pm because that is when the house changes ownership.

Previous owners have no right to access a house that belongs to someone else even to clean it.

This has actually happened to us. We completed on a house at 1.00pm and at 2.00pm went round to start to sort it out (we were not moving in) the previous owner was still moving out and cleaning. They had assumed wrongly that because we didn't live close by we wouldn't need access to the whole house on that day. In the end the estate agents had to tell them that they no longer had a right to be there because it was by then our house to do with what we wished. Basically they were in the way in what should have been a vacant house.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 17-04-2018 at 6:48 PM.
    • RADDERS
    • By RADDERS 17th Apr 18, 7:02 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    RADDERS
    I know this is a money saving site, but on the day we moved I employed a local cleaner. As we emptied a room she cleaned it, skirtings and paintwork. As my buyers paid asking price and we had to delay completion due to my MIL dying I thought it was nice to leave the house spotless.
    It was the best 50 I spent !!!128514;
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Apr 18, 9:36 PM
    • 9,965 Posts
    • 62,222 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I have always left every house I have sold absolutely spotless, with a bunch of flowers, a bottle of fizz and a welcome card.

I also compile a little folder of local info, including a few takeaway leaflets.

Do unto others and all that.....

My house is currently on the market and I hope to move in the near future. Normally I pack myself but this time I shall let the movers do it.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 17-04-2018 at 9:38 PM.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 17th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 4,571 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I left my last (rented) house spotless and gleaming. I really went the extra mile and thought my (first-time) landlords would be delighted.

I did it myself, it took a day and a half with steaming and polishing floors and surfaces until they shone like never before. It was much better than the state they left it for me (it was their own former home).
    I had awful back-ache on the second night but I knew I'd done a good job and all would be well.

To say it was unappreciated would be an understatement. I don't even want to put it into words because I'm still so angry about what they did.

I'm never doing that again. From now on, it's the bare minimum or a cheap cleaner for me!
    • leon103
    • By leon103 17th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    leon103
    The issue we have about being out of one property at 1pm and into the other is that it's only across the road. Hopefully the sellers will allow us to move across earlier. Being friends will hopefully work in our favour.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 17th Apr 18, 10:20 PM
    • 3,179 Posts
    • 7,985 Thanks
    tori.k

I was fascinated by the various opinions on whether you would/should clean your house. I can't imagine just doing a 20-minute run-through with the hoover, and am considering paying a local company to do a deep clean. Even though the buyer may start off by doing a clean, it doesn't mean you should leave it uncleaned. Interestingly, I found on the TA6 (Law Society Property Information Form), the seller does tick a box (Section 14.4) that confirms (or otherwise) they will ensure that, "all rubbish will be removed from the property ... and that the property will be left in a clean and tidy condition"
    Originally posted by dunroving
    I think on the whole most people that are concerned enough to ask about cleaning are naturally clean and tidy people anyway, so a hover where bigger furniture has been, is likely all that's really needed.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 140000/ 870
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 3000/6000
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Apr 18, 10:46 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 6,245 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    The issue we have about being out of one property at 1pm and into the other is that it's only across the road. Hopefully the sellers will allow us to move across earlier. Being friends will hopefully work in our favour.
    Originally posted by leon103
    It isn't an issue. You have to have moved out by then. How you do it is up to you.

What you agree with your sellers over completion time is one thing but you have to be out by 1pm for your buyers. You can't use your buyers house as cheap storage until you are ready to move across the road.

If your sellers won't let you in earlier you can't leave your furniture in a house that no longer belongs to you in order to save moving/storage costs. You have to find a way round it and have cleared the house out by 1pm when you will cease to own it.

If you have sold through an estate agent you have to hand all the keys to the house into the estate agent by 1pm. You are not allowed back inside the house for any reason after 1pm because it isn't your house anymore. If you are moving across the road do you want to start off in the wrong with the new neighbours in your old house?

The contract says 1pm to stop people from doing what you thought you were going to do because you knew that your buyers were coming from some distance away.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Apr 18, 10:55 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 6,245 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I am losing the will to live. What is it that makes people think that they can continue to use a house that they no longer own to store furniture until they are ready to move it?

If the contract says that you have to be out by 1pm that is what you do. It is up to you to work out how to do it not to use someone else's home for storage because that is convenient for you.

It is this attitude that is why people are advised to have a locksmith ready to change the locks immediately on completion.
    • leon103
    • By leon103 18th Apr 18, 6:49 AM
    • 718 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    leon103
    Someone needs a !!!!ing chill pill. Most negative poster ever award goes to....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,469Posts Today

7,129Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin