Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alanmelon
    • By Alanmelon 15th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Alanmelon
    Car insurance - Liability dispute after accident
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    Car insurance - Liability dispute after accident 15th Apr 18 at 9:21 PM
    I wonder if anyone can advise on a dispute I'm currently having after an insurance claim following a minor car collision.
    I was subject to a rear end collision while stationary at some traffic lights, by a car which inexplicably steered from the adjacent left hand lane into the rear left corner of my car.. While I was proactive in obtaining the third party details, photographing damage and reporting it to my insurance company immediately, I unfortunately failed to capture specific car positions or any witnesses.
    Despite offering detailed and consistent accounts to my insurer, they now feel that they don't have sufficient evidence to hold the third party fully to account, wanting to offer a 50/50 settlement which I fully resent and dispute. What's more, the third party representative has now denied all and any responsibility, and wishes to hold me 100% to blame. I don't have the full third party account but the indication is that they have lied and allege that I was changing lanes into their path. I obviously cannot force the hand of my insurer, and have made it explicitly clear that I dispute their decision and the allegation of the third party; I have no wish to lose 11 years no claims and a 300 excess for something I had nothing to do with.
    So, what options do I have? Will employing the services of a solicitor potentially improve my position, or do I risk exposure to further costs with little chance of success?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Apr 18, 11:09 PM
    • 37,268 Posts
    • 21,425 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:09 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:09 PM
    You don't lose all NCD after single claim.

Check your policy wording to see what happens after one claim.

With most companies you lose 2 years from a maximum of 5. If your insurer operates that way you will have 3 years at renewal

A solicitor cannot do the same as an independent witness!

Often each party has a conflicting story and both swear to be telling the truth

Hard for an insurer (or a judge if it went to court) to decide who is telling the truth hence 50/50 being the outcome
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,485Posts Today

7,966Users online

Martin's Twitter