Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sec79
    • By sec79 15th Apr 18, 8:28 PM
    • 297Posts
    • 99Thanks
    sec79
    Extended warranty query - integrated washer dryer
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:28 PM
    Extended warranty query - integrated washer dryer 15th Apr 18 at 8:28 PM
    Hi
    When I moved into my current house which was a new build, the integrated washer dryer (Zanussi model) came with a 2 year guarantee. Just before the warranty expired earlier this year it needed 4 parts replacing. Given it is used twice a week I'm not filled with confidence as how long it will be before something else goes wrong with the machine.

I am seriously considering taking out an extended warranty for piece of mind and from a cost perspective. Domestic & General will charge 115 a year which seems steep. This includes the call out fee, all parts and labour.

I wondered if there are any other firms people could recommend I try for a quote please? Would rather pay a little more for a decent warranty. Thank you
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 15th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    or self finance and put away some money for a brand/model with a long warranty that you find reasonable
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • molerat
    • By molerat 16th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 19,325 Posts
    • 13,530 Thanks
    molerat
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    I am sure that if you put away the money for the extended warranty every time you purchased a new item after a few years you would easily afford to repair or replace the items as the break or wear out and probably have a free holiday thrown in.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • daggy
    • By daggy 19th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    daggy
    • 19th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    Have you considered selling it and paying the extra for something like a Samsung? Samsung's usually come with a 5 years (standard 2 year and further 3 year warranty included).

Make sure you register for the additional 3 years ( I got stung with this once), fortunately we bought it on a buy now pay later so ended up getting the washer replaced anyway.

Or do what other people suggest - save the warranty fee up and you'll likely enp up with enough to replace or repair.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 19th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    • 1,989 Posts
    • 2,751 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 19th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    I have a rule. If it breaks during the warranty period it is carp, repair it under warranty & waste no more money on it. If it survives the warranty period it isn't going to break down for years so it isn't worth paying for an expensive extended warranty.

I exclude from this anything which is new. Like (many many years ago) I bought a (very early model) video recorder & I did get extended warranty from a local store (not Currys etc), I used the warranty & then it was fine for years.

This is what an emergency fund is for. I know it is all in the mind but once you can manage to replace broken stuff (without borrowing) it really doesn't break as often!
    Last edited by badmemory; 19-04-2018 at 5:26 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

504Posts Today

4,921Users online

Martin's Twitter