Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gen_Y_Saver
    • By Gen_Y_Saver 15th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 60Posts
    • 64Thanks
    Gen_Y_Saver
    Cost of removing residential oil tank
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    Cost of removing residential oil tank 15th Apr 18 at 7:55 PM
    Hi all,

Just a quick one.

I have a circa 1000 litre residential oil tank in my back garden which I need removing. I have searched a few websites, but none of the providers give a general idea as to the cost of removing an oil tank (only removal, not installation of a new oil/gas heating system).

There is good access to the tank, so shouldn't be problematic to get to.

Could anyone give a general sense of the cost I will be looking at? Will call websites directly tomorrow morning.

Thanks all

Gen_Y
    MFW! Original loan (Aug 2015) = £65000
    Current debt = £43000
    Interest saved so far = £13930
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Apr 18, 5:48 AM
    • 44,106 Posts
    • 52,282 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:48 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:48 AM
    Is it completely empty? Half full? Some 'residual' oil inside?

Getting rid of any oil is more difficult than the tank itself. There are regulations around how you do that - and who you let do it for you.

Is it steel or plastic? If steel a scrap merchant will probably pay you for it.

Is it plastic but it in good nick?Again, someone might buy it and remove it themselves. Just like that perectly good but dated washing machine you replaced & put on Ebay.

Or just ring some OFTEC registered tank installers for prices.
    • J B
    • By J B 16th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    J B
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    As above ...

Metal = scrappy

Plastic = ebay

If you ask too many people too many questions, you may get too many answers!

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Apr 18, 8:20 AM
    • 25,057 Posts
    • 92,620 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:20 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:20 AM
    I sold mine in 2014 for £80. Nothing wrong, but it was single skin and I wanted something less likely to fail and somewhat larger.

The residual 100l of oil went into 25l plastic containers and I'm still using it to light bonfires.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin