Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StayFree
    • By StayFree 15th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    StayFree
    P87 Mileage tax relief
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    P87 Mileage tax relief 15th Apr 18 at 7:28 PM
    hi,
    i am a complete newbie, this is my first post so please forgive any etiquette blunders.
    I have a question about P87 tax reclaim on mileage. I have done this only once before, last year, but had been with my employer only part of a year so did not hit the 2,500 threshold for allowable expenses. This year i was paid just over 3k allowable expenses due to a lot of work related travelling but only get 23p per mile expenses after the first 4000 miles so claiming the difference would be well worth it BUT over 2,500 it hits self-assessment form territory, which i really am not sure I want to venture into. So, my question is - can I just fill in the form claiming the tax relief for just part of the year, therefore keeping me below the threshold? any advice much appreciated.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 15th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 6,373 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    why are you afraid of doing a tax return? Are you hiding something?

at the end of the day you are free to make no claim, partial claim or claim every penny you can get away with. Entirely your free will to choose what you do.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 15th Apr 18, 11:54 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:54 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:54 PM
    To be honest it could be argued completing a P87 is actually more complicated for most people than doing a self assessment return.

As you have done a P87 before a simple approach would be to complete the P87 and then just use the relevant figure (final amount you are claiming tax relief on I think) on the employment part of your return. I think on self assessment you are only required to provide a single figure of expenses you are claiming, not the whole breakdown like the P87 asks for.

As an employee you will likely find HMRC will have populated the form with your P60 details so the only other things you might have to enter are any savings interest you have received and enter your bank details so any refund due can be paid into your bank account.

Remember HMRC have a year from you filing the return to ask any questions they have about your return so you should keep details of how you arrived at your mileage expenses figure in case they ask about it at a later date.
    Last edited by Dazed and confused; 15-04-2018 at 11:57 PM.
    • StayFree
    • By StayFree 16th Apr 18, 6:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    StayFree
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:59 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:59 PM
    why are you afraid of doing a tax return? Are you hiding something?

at the end of the day you are free to make no claim, partial claim or claim every penny you can get away with. Entirely your free will to choose what you do.
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    thanks for your reply - no, nothing to hide, just only ever paid tax through PAYE via my employer and had heard that self-assessment forms are complicated.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 16th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    You only have to fill in the sections which apply to you, if you can manage a P87 I'm sure you will find a Self Assessment return fairly straightforward.
    • StayFree
    • By StayFree 16th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    StayFree
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    Thank you for your advice, that's really helpful. Reassured by the fact that self-assessment form may be simpler - I had assumed they must be otherwise given the annual press coverage regarding delays to people filing them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

1,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin