Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jazzy
    • By jazzy 15th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 863Posts
    • 193Thanks
    jazzy
    Service History with a newly purchased vehicle?
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    Service History with a newly purchased vehicle? 15th Apr 18 at 7:21 PM
    My daughter stupidly purchased a car 2014 BMW 114DS from a large car sales centre in Wales. The salesman told her that the vehicle had a full service history and that the service history is now saved on the vehicles onboard computer and that this is now the normal procedure for service history with no service stamps in the book. Is this correct?
Page 1
    • loskie
    • By loskie 15th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    loskie
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    for a bmw yes it is
    • jazzy
    • By jazzy 15th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    jazzy
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    for a bmw yes it is
    Originally posted by loskie
    So there is no more stamping of the service manual?
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 15th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    JP1978
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    So there is no more stamping of the service manual?
    Originally posted by jazzy
    No, you can however call BMW and ask for details of work carried out, or better still go to a dealer and I am sure they will print it out.
    • jazzy
    • By jazzy 15th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    jazzy
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    No, you can however call BMW and ask for details of work carried out, or better still go to a dealer and I am sure they will print it out.
    Originally posted by JP1978
    Thanks, is there a chargeable service for the vehicle's service history?
    • Money_Grabber13579
    • By Money_Grabber13579 15th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 2,872 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    Money_Grabber13579
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    Not sure about a 2014 model but the service history is stored in the iDrive system on mine (2015 3 series) and shows the type of service along with the mileage at which it was carried out
    Northern Ireland club member No 382
    • jazzy
    • By jazzy 15th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    jazzy
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    How do you navigate the idrive system to locate the service history?
    • Money_Grabber13579
    • By Money_Grabber13579 15th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 2,872 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    Money_Grabber13579
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    I!!!8217;m not in my car at the moment so going in memory here and a little bit of help from Google.

Does the car have the following menus?

Vehicle Information > Service Requirements > Service History
    • jazzy
    • By jazzy 15th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    jazzy
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    Thanks found through google videos
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th Apr 18, 3:43 AM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    Tarambor
    My daughter stupidly purchased a car 2014 BMW 114DS from a large car sales centre in Wales
    In other words she bought a car you didn't agree with? You know she's an adult?
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 16th Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    • 4,999 Posts
    • 4,697 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    My daughter stupidly purchased a car 2014 BMW 114DS from a large car sales centre in Wales. The salesman told her that the vehicle had a full service history and that the service history is now saved on the vehicles onboard computer and that this is now the normal procedure for service history with no service stamps in the book. Is this correct?
    Service stamps in a book are becoming redundant because people can buy fake ones on line. I keep paper invoices from the garage that does the servicing.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • jazzy
    • By jazzy 16th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    jazzy
    In other words she bought a car you didn't agree with? You know she's an adult?
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    She regretted purchasing the car straightaway it was not the car she wanted paid something like £2000 over the price. She told me that she was pressurised by the car salesman to make the purchase who took a non refundable £5k deposit.

She also agrees she was stupid to go ahead with the sale, so it's not just me..
    • jazzy
    • By jazzy 16th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    jazzy
    How does this idrive system work? The system appears not to record the history of all of the vehicle's services, or does it?
    Checking the brake pad service check it advises to check the pads in 70,000miles (which seems a very high figure) looking at the brake pads they are worn with about 25% of the pad material left, so what is going on?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 7,665 Thanks
    neilmcl
    How does this idrive system work? The system appears not to record the history of all of the vehicle's services, or does it?
    It does. As mentioned go into Vehicle Information -> Vehicle Status -> Service Requirements -> Service History, then select the appropriate entry. BMW don't have regular, annual services, they perform what they refer to as "Condition Based Servicing" or CBS, whereby you only need to take the car in for a service when a particular item is flagged up on the Idrive system as and when it needs servicing. Depending on how you drive you could be seeing 18K between services.

I suggest your daughter registers on the babybmw.net forums for answers to all the questions she may have.
    • Money_Grabber13579
    • By Money_Grabber13579 16th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 2,872 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    Money_Grabber13579
    She regretted purchasing the car straightaway it was not the car she wanted paid something like £2000 over the price. She told me that she was pressurised by the car salesman to make the purchase who took a non refundable £5k deposit.

Any particular reason she doesnít like the car, other than potentially having paid a bit too much for it? If itís just the price, thereís probably not much that can be done now.

However, if the salesman has misled her into thinking the car had features which it doesnít, it may be worth kicking up a bit of a fuss. Not saying it will get you anywhere as I suspect proof will be the issue, but you wonít know if you donít try.
    • Money_Grabber13579
    • By Money_Grabber13579 16th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 2,872 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    Money_Grabber13579
    Checking the brake pad service check it advises to check the pads in 70,000miles (which seems a very high figure) looking at the brake pads they are worn with about 25% of the pad material left, so what is going on?
    Not sure how the distance left on the pads is measured however, my car has 18k on it and the distance left on the pads is showing 50k. The pad depth was measured at the service, where it had 9mm left on them. Apparently they start about 14mm. How do you know what percentage of the pad material is left, unless you compared it to a new pad?
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 16th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    eschaton

Initially I thought you were being a bit harsh on your daughter until I read this post.

Maybe not an adult then.

Bought a car she didn't want

Overpaid by £2k

Was pressurised?

Paid a £5k NON refundable deposit

Does it get any worse? Hope she liked the colour.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin