Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 26,087Posts
    • 55,615Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Smelly cushioned chair
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    Smelly cushioned chair 15th Apr 18 at 7:11 PM
    I have been gifted a nice piece of furniture which I would dearly love to keep, but the problem is it stinks to high heaven of cigarette smoke!

It was given to me in good faith, but I realised as soon as I put it in my vehicle that it once belonged to the home of a smoker. No big deal, I thought - it's just a question of airing it thoroughly. So it's been outside intermittently this last week (not for very long admittedly, as it was so damp) and when inside its stunk my large conservatory out! It's back in there this evening with a lit candle, but the smoke is well ingrained into the cushioned fabric so I'm wondering what next.

YouTube has plenty of amateur advice, mostly around baking soda, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and gentle washing detergent, but most techniques seem a bit hit and miss. I'm happy to use baking soda but not keen on having a vinegary-smelling item of furniture. I've got a lot of faith in chemical peroxide, but don't want to inadvertently bleach the fabric. I can also steam it, or wash it down with a mild soap solution.

My question is which of these, or which combination of these is going to work first time round, and in what order? TIA.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 1
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 15th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    You could get it recovered and replace the upholstered cushions at the same time.

If the budget doesn't stretch that far, lots of Febreeze might be your answer. It is recommended for cat spraying areas, so should work on fag smoke.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 16th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    • 24,418 Posts
    • 51,560 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    I fear you will never get rid of the smell enough to make it acceptable to you.
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 16th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Katapolt
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    I had a similar issue, although not with fabric items, and sadly 3 months on they still stink.

It might be worth trying to get it cleaned, or using a steam cleaner. Ive also heard shaking over with baking powder and vacuuming up works, but havent tried this myself.

unfortunately it may cost more to remedy than its worth to you.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 26,087 Posts
    • 55,615 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 19th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    My New Years resolution was to stay positive lol. All I can say is I'm not beaten quite yet.

It's been outside for 4 warm and days in a row, tomorrow will be day 5. I shall then attempt the deep clean.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 20th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 25,612 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    We spent one night sleeping on an airbed borrowed from a pipe smoker. I can say there wasn't a hope in hell of the smell ever being removed from that however much one tried to air it. Yeeuuuchh.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 20th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    • 7,411 Posts
    • 6,176 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    not keen on having a vinegary-smelling item of furniture
    The smell of white vinegar fades quite quickly.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    • 26,087 Posts
    • 55,615 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 21st Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    • 21st Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    Update: it was in the sun all last week, and I hoovered and then brought it back into the glasshouse last night. This morning I was pleased that the smell had subsided considerably, so progress has been made .

It's back out there today whilst the sun's out, I'll steam clean it several times afterwards, and then resort to Febreze before it's moved back in properly.

The smell of white vinegar fades quite quickly.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I remain unconvinced but readily agree that it will be an improvement on cigarette smoke. The combination of both will mean it's consigned to the tip.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Apr 18, 8:56 AM
    • 26,087 Posts
    • 55,615 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 23rd Apr 18, 8:56 AM
    • 23rd Apr 18, 8:56 AM
    Update: 6 days in the sun and it's improved a lot although the cushioning is still undeniably smoke-y. It's out again today, as the risk of precipitation is almost negligible. I'm going to carry on down this path until such time as it does rain, at which point I will be forced to move onto the steaming stage.

Yesterday I ventured into Poundland to buy some Febreze as suggested, the only one available was a vanilla blossom scent which I'm not too wild about, I put it back when I noticed Neutradol further along the aisle, now that looked far more convincing. Next to it sat Shake N Vac, Lily of the Valley. I eventually bought that because the smell was bearable, compared to the Neutradol which smelt rank!

Also came away with some chocolate to take the pain out of my traumatised olfactory glands

• Pa Ja
    • By Pa Ja 23rd Apr 18, 10:46 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Pa Ja
    I was in a similar situation and eventually gave up.
    You may do well at getting the surface clean and fresh but eventually the fibres within the upholstery will takeover.
    You'll never be 100% rid of the nicotine smell.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 23rd Apr 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    dunroving
    My small wardrobe was bought from a charity shop and it wasn't until it was delivered I realised it came from a smoking household. It took about 3 years for the smell to disappear.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th May 18, 11:53 AM
    • 26,087 Posts
    • 55,615 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Well I thought I had it cracked, but clearly not. I'd left the piece in the conservatory for a couple of weeks and it seemed ok, slight smell but nothing too bothersome. Then I made the mistake of opening the conservatory door to the main house and could smell it upstairs . Gross.

It's now been banished to the back garden and plenty of fresh air whilst the weather stays fine. I can see my optimism was misplaced on this occasion.

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th May 18, 6:02 PM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 25,612 Thanks
    Slinky
    We stored some Christmas decs for a few months in my brother's shed which had been liberally preserved with creosote. The plastic items picked up the smell and it took about 3 years before it disappeared.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 39,030 Posts
    • 35,913 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I'd get a quote for recovering and replacing the cushion before giving up completely. If there's any fabric / padded bits on the rest of them get them included too. You might be surprised at how reasonable the costs are.

Or go to an evening class and DIY!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 6th May 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,179 Posts
    • 8,705 Thanks
    Callie22
    I wonder if it might be worth trying something like Simple Solution? It's sold to get rid of pet odours but as it's enzymatic it might work on this too. It's not that dear (under 10 a bottle) and you can get it online or from places like Pets at Home. I'd try it somewhere inconspicuous first just in case it makes the fabric run, but if it's a final resort before chucking it then it might help.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th May 18, 10:20 PM
    • 26,087 Posts
    • 55,615 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'd get a quote for recovering and replacing the cushion before giving up completely. If there's any fabric / padded bits on the rest of them get them included too. You might be surprised at how reasonable the costs are.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    I did...it gave me 120 reasons not to buy. The whole sodding thing costs less to buy BN!

• ashe
    • By ashe 8th May 18, 7:07 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    ashe
    I guess there!!!8217;s a reason people always write !!!8216;comes from a smoke free home!!!8217; on things on ebay! As said above the issue will be even if the top of the chair starts to smell less there will be deep pdpiesnin the rivers of the padding which will just repermeate?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,301Posts Today

6,972Users online

Martin's Twitter