Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 15th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 20,402Posts
    • 231,951Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 16th April 2018
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 16th April 2018 15th Apr 18 at 6:49 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1

Clean table - don't forget the legs!
    Wipe mats and/or change cloth
    Wipe sockets and switches
    Clear worktops and wipe down
    Wipe kettle/clean toaster
    Clean/wipe whatever lives on worktop
    Put everything else away

Level 2

Clean drawer and cupboard fronts
    Clear moulding/rotting furries from fridge and wipe out
    Ungunge drain holes
    If you've time remove shelves etc and wash out properly

Level 3

Wipe hob and oven
    Sweep/vacuum/mop floor
    Clean windows and wipe sills

Extras

peg out some washing
    open some windows
    wipe windowsills and gungy tracks outside (because I de-grotten my pation window on Saturday)
    Plan an outing - it's going to be a lovely week and life's too short to spend working - and little coffee shops need your support! Or some other form of me-time.

Tuesday Boudoir Day

Level One

Strip the bed; leave it to air - open the window wide
    Remove the floordrobe - everything away or in the wash
    Remake the bed before moving up a level!

Level Two
    Remove everything from surfaces, wipe and dust things and where they are
    Wipe - with a barely damp cloth switches and door handles

Level 3
    Vacuum thoroughly - don't forget the curtains!
    Vacuum cloth lamp and light shades
    Check for, and deal with, cobwebs!

Extras
    Mad Half hour in the garden OR

H2H Challenge -Sort through shoes and boots - sort them into piles -

Pile 1 (keep)- clean, polish, put away
    Pile 2 (keep but need attention)- cobblers - bag them up ready for repair
    Pile 3 (no longer wanted on voyage) - FERLINNNG

Slinky Challenge meal plan and include salads

Scrimper challenge - Check your smellies stash and plan to use something up rather than buying

HHI

Wonderful Wednesday - hump day - and bathrooms

Level 1

Throw the windows wide open
    If you have a shower curtain that can be machine washed get it in the machine and on the live
    If not - then wash towels/bathmats/facecloths
    Flush the loo and fling some cleaner down
    Scrub inside and out - don't forget the handles/buttons
    Empty bathroom bins

Level 2

Get a clean cloth; wipe pull switches and lighting
    Scrub the bath/shower and polish the screen too
    Polish taps and brightwork - don't forget hoses!

Level 3
    Scrub the sink
    Wipe and cupboard tops, doors, drawers and handles
    Sweep/vacuum/mop floor

Extras

HHI
    S&S kitchen
    MAD half hour - challenge work OR pull some weeds or cut some grass

Have a lovely Wednesday x

Thrurday - love your lounge

Level 1

Open the windows w-i-i-i-d-e
    Take out the garbage
    clean the windows

Level 2
    Wipe/vacuum sofas etc
    clean the floor

Level 3
    Dust & de web

extras
    Peg out soem washing
    Mad half hour
    Get ourside for some vitamin D

Freaky Friday..I like it hot but...

Hall, Stairs and Landing

Level 1

Take the mats outside for a beating and an air in the sunshine
    Dust any furniture in this area
    Polish mirrors
    Dust pictures

Level 2

Check all lighting is fully functional inc. outside lightimg
    Get your cobweb brush in the corners
    Clean windows

Level 3
    Vacuum/sweep/mop floors
    wash any coats, hats, scarves and gloves and dry them in the sunshine

Extras
    Send kids to school with suncream applied and refilled water bottles (please!)
    If you're not washing coats - sleeping bags? Duvets? wwooly jumpers? carpe diem!
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour - in the garden with a long, cold drink!
    Last edited by Valli; 20-04-2018 at 7:20 AM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 2
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 16th Apr 18, 1:33 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Just back in from work and had lunch, but bad news on the scrimpy front (I haven't joined the challenge offically but had been trying), after a great March with no unnecessary spending and taking lunch in instead of buying and using free parking which is further away so has the added bonus of more steps I went and blew it today by buying a new pair of 3/4 jeans, ok I only have short shorts or full length jeans so they will get a lot of use and could be classed as necessary, am I trying to make excuses?!

This afternoon I will clean shelves in the fridge, throw more out of kitchen cupboards, do the ironing and lesson plan for tomorrow morning.

Now for a coffee!
    xx
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 16th Apr 18, 2:12 PM
    • 36,682 Posts
    • 472,355 Thanks
    pigpen
    LW.. is it likely you aren't eating enough to lose any weight? Would something like WW or SW help? you don't have to go anywhere but they have online communities where there is a lot of support and advice and people of all sorts of abilities.. I just wonder if it is worth looking at. Bills and alarms are necessary.. like food etc.. you need them.. it is the non-vital things... like 3/4 jeans *nudge nudge point finger!!* that count.

Washing out
    WM x 2 on
    DW emptied and refed.
    lunch scoffed

Pan cupboard emptied.. I had DS3 do it so I have no choice except to put it all away.. after wiping out the spideroos!!

Folding laundry first though and Twinkle has woken up from her nap so I need to feed her too.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    24/03/2018 53974.15 (5.15% int.)
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 16th Apr 18, 2:24 PM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 19,854 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Loads done so far:
    • Volunteering done
    • Two loads of washing dried on line
    • Two dog walks done
    • Various emails sent for DH and invoices paid
    • Boiler service booked
    • Woodburner cleaned out

Phew! School run shortly - will mop kitchen floor beforehand x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 17.4.18 - 103,870
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 16th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 49,762 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    WM x 1 and out on the line, all pots out of the greenhousy things and watered, superking made, Kelps taken the field for an hour's exercise and another animal rescue visited searching for the right cat.

I. Must. Dust.
    Keeping it AF
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 16th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 37,852 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Great news atb and Dizzy.

Standard Monday here so far - beef in sc for tea, gym, paid stuff 1, Mr T delivery taken in, paid stuff no. 2. Off to put tea together and feed myself and DS1. DS2 and OH probably wont be home until 6.

Then back to job no. 1 for a meeting. Gonna be a looonnng day!
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 16th Apr 18, 4:25 PM
    • 9,622 Posts
    • 121,676 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Old bbq dismanteled and taken to tip
    Shower room tray scrubbed
    Window seals in shower room also cleaned.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -10 so far and counting!!
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 16th Apr 18, 4:37 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Thanks for poke Pigpen, made worse by finding a pair of old 3/4 in the wardrobe, to be fair they are quite worn and not sure I would be able to wear them for work.

I have cleared out 2 bin bags of rubbish and 2 big bags to go to charity.

A few more bits gone out of kitchen too. Some old leftovers used up. Space made in cupboard to get one of the pots off the side. I want clear surfaces.

Been good with food today, egg salad for lunch, bolognaise cooking and will do a sort of lasagna but using aubergine slice as am trying to be low carb.

Fridge still to wipe down and lesson to plan.

Xx
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 16th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 24,105 Posts
    • 95,043 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Hmmm. The morning scramble for work trousers failed to elicit my two pairs that Himself should have washed a fortnight ago - but a pair that I don't ever remember fitting since I was given them, do.

That's - interesting.

Work (as always) was a bit weird with new staff and previous decisions being reversed - and complete denial of the original decisions ever having been made. Ah well, I shall just shrug and get on with it, as it's far easier to go with whatever way the wind is blowing this week.

Himself has thoughtfully put a new bulb in the bathroom light - as it's the only one that is a normal BC fitting in the house (other than the kitchen light which I got replaced as soon as I moved in), it's handy, considering I have not yet been able to find a supplier of the particular very rare CFL variant the builders shoved in everywhere else; hence why I have no lighting on the way upstairs until I actually get into a bedroom. If they blow as well, which they may do, seeing as they're all the same age, I'll be left for a week in pools of darkness.

He's just started cooking for our last meal together for a week( whilst he's off to a tropical paradise). I've been staaarving since 10.30am when I ate my sandwich.

Here's hoping we eat before 9pm.

And it looks like, from the kitchen floor, at any rate, he's leaving me a present of a load of mess to spend the week cleaning up.

Sigh.
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 16-04-2018 at 6:56 PM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • mummy2threeboys
    • By mummy2threeboys 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 754 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    mummy2threeboys
    Dizzy..Pineapple on pizza counts for sure..as does liquid grapes right (wine?) x

Jojo hope the fitting i the trousers was because of slimming rather than expansion..I for some reason fit a 12 now not a 14 but haven't lost weight..answers on a postcode?

All stuff done..apart from table, did manage to wash and change two lots of bedding and add on all passport details to booking as an extra though.
    Just off to wash and wipe up , so it's nice and ready for the morning. Have a good night all.
    Compers challenge 13/70
    285/2018
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 16th Apr 18, 8:55 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 6,224 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Hellooo. Thankooo muchly for the new thread
    I'm in for the week.. Playing catch up after being poorly sick for over a fortnight
    Today was wonderful, took full advantage and filled up the washing line, did my bedding, dried it & re made the bed with it
    Attended Drs apts with my mum, prescriptions collected, sorted her PIP application and after making a copy of it all it got posted it off. (been a mahoosive source of stress for my mum & myself)
    Found a book for myself in the library (while copying forms)
    Mowed the front lawn & my elderly neighbours (as they have been poorly) borrowed the mower from my other neighbour, I'm very grateful for the lovely street I live in.
    Made tea, chomped a small ice cream & then grumbled quietly as I need to loose the 10kg that attached itself to me after my thyroid went it's a work in progress.. Mainly uphill.. I will get there!
    Ooh, booked myself in for a massage at the beginning of May.. It'll be free as was a gift at Xmas.. Also booked car in for her quarterly valet.
    Living life happily! Debt Free date: 2018!!!
    Jan 18 GC Feb 18 GC Mar 18 GC Apr 18 GC: 225.40/300
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 16th Apr 18, 8:58 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Flying done for the day here

Fridge nearly finished, 2 shelves done, just the drawer left
    Lesson prepared for tomorrow
    Several phone calls this evening
    Cat sick cleared up
    Recycling out and DW put on

Kettle on for camomile and verbena tea to take up to bed with me.

Night night
    x
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 16th Apr 18, 9:16 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    Fayolle
    It's been a long old day, and I don't feel as if an awful lot has been achieved.
    A random dinner concoted from the fridge contents. As nobody else seemed to be bothered to do anything about it, I figured they could just put up whatever I put in front of them. Kitchen duly tidied, and dw running.
    Towels washed.
    Recycling out for the morning collection.
    A few bits of gibble collected and rehomed.

I still haven't done anything about the dining room as DH has taken up residence in there again as an "office". I have to work for a half day (in theory, but that often turns into a whole day) tomorrow, so I need to make some time in the afternoon to wield the duster when DH isn't at home.

LW - have a squishy virtual hug. It is true that sometimes you can be eating too little to lose any weight. X
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 16th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 24,105 Posts
    • 95,043 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    And I have my suspicions on how the trousers fit me.

Lasagne. Just been presented with it.

Simultaneously uncooked and burned to beggary. And no bechamel to be found anywhere. I think there was cheese. But that's now resembling something I'd draw a picture with. There might have been sauce, but I think it may have been substituted with a thin line of red glue to stick the burned bits to the uncooked bits.

Plus three cherry tomatoes and a half handful of Iceberg.

I ate the salad and the merely chewy bits, but I wasn't able to even get into the top quarter inch (the entire thing being about 7/16ths of an inch thick), so it's gone in the bin.

Oh, what a lovely, romantic meal.

More tea. Lots more. It'll get the taste of seawater (did I mention the amount of salt added?) out.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 16th Apr 18, 11:02 PM
    • 36,682 Posts
    • 472,355 Thanks
    pigpen
    Jojo.. I think I would just ban him from cooking he is clearly trying to kill you off lol... or send him to college to learn
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 16th Apr 18, 11:32 PM
    • 24,105 Posts
    • 95,043 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Jojo.. I think I would just ban him from cooking he is clearly trying to kill you off lol... or send him to college to learn
    Originally posted by pigpen
    I'm not letting him flump round the house all day for me to come in from work, go back out to shop and then cook dinner (and he can make some very nice food, which is the most frustrating thing about it - not everything is vile).

Anyhow, I've got a week of potentially edible food from tomorrow if I can be bothered - and he's got some temp work starting in May, so I'll probably, in the interests of 'it's only fair, you're out at work too' try and regain some control over the kitchen.

Hopefully, he'll find that he rather likes having money he has earned and something to do each day. And he'll have no excuse once he's done it to not get something else, because he'll have a reference.

Just got to get him through the door and actually working at last. Then I'll have leverage.

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 17th Apr 18, 12:07 AM
    • 36,682 Posts
    • 472,355 Thanks
    pigpen
    Jojo.. I understand why he is supposed to do the cooking.. but he just seems to be making the worst job possible of it.. probably so you tell him not to bother and do that as well.. Does he simply do nothing at home all day? I think I'd murder him.. my OH had a few years out of work but he would go to the gym and help around the house and then started college just to do something... I don't understand how anyone can sit and do nothing! .. Though, my stepdad does and spend 18 hours of the day asleep through sheer boredom so I know some do.

Think how tidy your kitchen will be while he is away.. and fingers crossed his temporary work leads to something permanent.. before you stuff him and pose him as part of a set.

DW on again.. I am washing all the pans and stuff before putting them away in the nice clean cupboard.. so far to leave I have :-
    4 cake storage things
    some cookie cutters
    a silicone muffin pan (I found a gingerbread man one too which I am keeping)

binned I have :-

a plastic container that matches my tea/coffee ones but the lid is broken and it is gross... complete with 2 dead spiders and a bit of web.
    the innards from my old, dead long since binned pressure cooker.
    2 lids from pans I haven't had for at least 2 years

And I am being indecisive over.:-

2 loaf tins
    6 cake tins of varying sizes
    4 huge cauldron pots... I am wondering now if a soup kitchen or somewhere might be able to make use of them.. they are catering sized.

and that is one of my 2 pan cupboards.. I am ashamed!!
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 17th Apr 18, 6:55 AM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 37,852 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Up early but wasting time browing about on t'internet instead of doing anything. Paid stuff x 2 today then gym class tonight.

Got in from my meeting at 9pm last night and quickly hoovered and mopped kitchen and utility then scrubbed shower while I was in it. Well, actually I came in to find a seat box, fishing barrow and a bike in the kitchen (dont ask) so I cleaned around them. I am told they will be gone today.

Oh and there have been some days when DH has been home this winter when I think "what have you actually been doing?" when clearly there are things to be done. He has always been busy mind.

Right, best get ready for the paid stuff. WM on, will pop home between jobs to hang it out and throw curry in SC. Have a good Tuesday everyone x
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 17th Apr 18, 7:09 AM
    • 2,211 Posts
    • 20,793 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Morning all

Foggy and damp here today....so I'm still waiting for the predicted "heat wave". Ah well, at least I won't get all got and sweaty flying later.

Jojo - has your OH recently taken out life insurance on you? I'd be wondering...

Glad to see you back fit and fighting Madam Mim x

My ironing pile is now taller than me I must do some this morning. Some of it is DH's work shirts, which he will no longer be wearing next month due to his new job, so I'm rather reluctant to bother with these. However, I suspect we will need to go shopping for new shirts as he's bursting out of his current smart ones (he claims like Superman, but it's more Jim Royle if I'm honest ).

Diets start 1st May...for both of us

Cup of Earl Grey to calm my nerves, then we're off...
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 17th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning everyone.

Up early, or maybe that is just on time, because today was the day that DH decided to fair leap out of bed. Noisily. In spite of that, I haven't been as productive as hoped. Last night's DW has been emptied and yet more detritus removed from the kitchen surfaces. Given that I did that twice last night, it drives me spare that nobody else listens when I chant the Valli Mantra at them.

WM loaded for when I get back from work. Clean clothes sorted and allocated back to their rightful owners. Purse and shopping vouchers sorted out, ready to do a shop tomorrow. I need to meal plan from the list at some point today.

On the subject of OHs and cooking - mine operates on the premise that if he does it badly enough, he will never be asked again. 28 years later, he is still trying to use that excuse. It is a battle of wills...
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 17th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 19,854 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all,

Woken up full of a heavy cold, not ideal but the show must go on! Kiddies dressed, fed and watered; DW about to go on; chilli in the oven on low for dinner; DDs bedding stripped and in the WM.

Taking the dog straight to the groomers from school run, and I am getting my eyebrows done

Got a meeting after school at 3.30 which both kids are attending with me so it will be a later tea for them than usual. The lovely weather is meant to arrive tomorrow, cannot wait, the grey skies make my mood just that!

Have fab days all x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 17.4.18 - 103,870
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

8,433Users online

Martin's Twitter