Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mowermick
    • By mowermick 15th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mowermick
    Start Working Again After ESA Permitted Work
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    Start Working Again After ESA Permitted Work 15th Apr 18 at 4:18 PM
    Greetings!

For the past few years I have been unable to work due to long-term illness. Because of this, up until last autumn, I received Employment Support Allowance. That has now come to an end. As my condition improved I managed to take on some "permitted work" which involved simple gardening jobs for older ladies who I already knew socially. Jobcentre Plus managed all this and provided a P60 each year.

With the arrival of Spring I am being asked if I can continue to help out. I can manage around 4 hours per day, 3-4 days per week. I expect to receive less than 4000 total income for the year.

Now that I no longer receive benefits, how do I move on without Jobcentre Plus?
    Do I need to register as self-employed or register with HMRC for self-assessment or both?
    (What else do I need to know: I've checked the relevant websites but am still unclear.)

Thanks in advance for your patience and wisdom.
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 15th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 11,756 Posts
    • 13,623 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    Confused, sorry!

When did your ESA end? And why? I am reading your post and believe that ESA stopped last Autumn?

So what have you been living on since?
    • mowermick
    • By mowermick 15th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mowermick
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    Ended last autumn.
    I no longer satisfy all the new criteria: DLA/ESA has been replaced.
    My partner has a modest income and somehow we make ends meet.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 15th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 11,756 Posts
    • 13,623 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    Ended last autumn.
    I no longer satisfy all the new criteria: DLA/ESA has been replaced.
    My partner has a modest income and somehow we make ends meet.
    Originally posted by mowermick
    Thanks.

So you will have to register as self employed and for self assessment. Useful guide here:

https://startups.co.uk/how-to-register-as-a-self-employed-sole-trader-or-freelancer/

You may also be entitled to some further help depending on your wife's income and savings etc.

Put your and your wife's details into the benefits calculator on www.turn2us.org.uk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin