Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 15th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 20Thanks
    ozaz
    Noise when turning steering wheel to its limit
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    Noise when turning steering wheel to its limit 15th Apr 18 at 4:11 PM
    Hi,

I'm currently looking around for a used car. Whilst testing a car today I noticed a whining or screeching noise when turning the steering wheel to its extreme (done when maneuvering out of a tight space). The noise wasn't present at any other time. I was told that this was normal for cars with hydraulic power steering and steering wheels should not be turned to their extremes.

I'm not knowledgeable about cars but have never noticed this on any other car I've driven and have never heard that steering wheels should not be turned to their extremes.

Was the dealer fibbing/ignorant or is there truth in what he says?

If the noise is indicative of a problem, what the best and worst case scenarios for a fix?

Cheers
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 10,599 Posts
    • 8,822 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:18 PM

If the noise is indicative of a problem, what the best and worst case scenarios for a fix?
    Originally posted by ozaz
    Look for another car rather than this one, would be the best case scenario.
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 15th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    ozaz
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    Look for another car rather than this one, would be the best case scenario.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Thanks. So from your reply I take it that its likely to indicate a problem of some sort even if only present when wheel is turned to its extreme?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    I was told that this was normal for cars with hydraulic power steering and steering wheels should not be turned to their extremes.
    I'm not knowledgeable about cars but have never noticed this on any other car I've driven and have never heard that steering wheels should not be turned to their extremes.
    It may have been the belt slipping, I have had that issue before.

• facade
    • By facade 15th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    facade
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    Probably needs a new drive belt, the dealer is correct, you shouldn't hold power steering against the stops. It causes a huge load on the system, as it is trying to turn the wheels through a physical stop, which can burst pipes, overheat fluid or cause a marginal belt to slip.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 15th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    ozaz
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    Thanks. So just to clarify...

Dealer was correct to say its not good practice to turn the wheel to its limit but he was not correct to say that the whining noise is normal and nothing to worry about?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th Apr 18, 7:10 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:10 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:10 PM
    Thanks. So just to clarify...

Dealer was correct to say its not good practice to turn the wheel to its limit but he was not correct to say that the whining noise is normal and nothing to worry about?
    It normal if you abuse it.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 16,454 Posts
    • 9,704 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    Probably needs a new drive belt, the dealer is correct, you shouldn't hold power steering against the stops. It causes a huge load on the system, as it is trying to turn the wheels through a physical stop, which can burst pipes, overheat fluid or cause a marginal belt to slip.
    Originally posted by facade
    Hes right in that you shouldnt turn them to their extremes however they shouldnt make screeching noises when you do.

That suggests it needs a new power steering drive belt at very least - not much fun if it snaps.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th Apr 18, 3:46 AM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:46 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:46 AM
    Whining or screeching, which was it? If its whining then that is normal at full lock when you're still applying pressure to the steering wheel.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 16,454 Posts
    • 9,704 Thanks
    motorguy
    Whining or screeching, which was it? If its whining then that is normal at full lock when you're still applying pressure to the steering wheel.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Good point, but either way if the whining was noticable to the extent it could have been mistaken for screeching or was combined with screeching then there is an issue there that needs to be resolved.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 3,467 Posts
    • 13,252 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Dealer is lying to you, walk away.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 76.4
    Total so far - 1237.9
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 16th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    My knackered old Fiesta does it....and has done for as long as I can remember!!
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 16th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Some cars seem to make that noise but if you have a choice, buy one that doesn't.
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 16th Apr 18, 10:28 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    ozaz
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    I guess I must have felt it was something in between when I wrote it.
    In any case it was a high pitched noise very obviously audible above the engine noise. So obvious the dealer mentioned it before I did.

After returning home I tried momentarily holding the steering wheel to its extreme position on another car and I could barely hear any noise from the steering, certainly nothing I would have noticed if I wasnt trying to listen for a non-engine sound.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 16th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    If you are turning in tight spaces it is perfectly reasonable to turn steering to its extreme and hold it for the duration of the turn.

A bit of grumbling is normal, but screeches and nasty loud noises are not.

Dealer is gilding the lily - he's right you shouldn't sit there holding it against the stops for extended periods of time, but he's making it up suggesting it is wrong to use the steering to its full extent.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 17th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    markudman
    How old is the car you are looking at?
    what is the make, model?
    Get the dealer to check / put a new belt on and check the steering pump,
    if he is unwilling to do this, he will be a problem if you have problems later.
    if its a newer car it may have electric steering and if it has walk away.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we dont protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 17,189 Posts
    • 15,496 Thanks
    AdrianC
    There's no reason not to turn the steering to full lock. There are lock stops to prevent any travel outside of the normal range, and the assistance isn't "trying" to do anything - it's simply reducing the effort required for you to do it.

Healthy hydraulic power steering will make a little more noise on lock - but very little, a bit of a hissy-whine. Nothing will break, no matter how long you hold it on full lock, as you would do in many perfectly normal driving manouvres.

If it's making a squealing, then it's probably the belt. It may simply be a little loose or it may need replacing (both are a routine service job - if that's been neglected, what else has?). If it's been slipping for a while, the pulleys may be glazed, causing a new correctly tensioned belt to slip - a quick sanding of the pulleys will help. Modern multi-v belts are massively less likely to be slipping.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 17th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 3,306 Posts
    • 7,881 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Surely all power steering systems are designed to allow the driver to apply full lock without stressing the system?

I regularly apply full lock during three point turns, reversing and parking manoeuvres etc.

I've never heard an unusual noise or had a problem in many different cars over many decades.

Be very cautious with this car and be prepared to walk away.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 17th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 6,707 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    "They all do that sir" is the standard secondhand car dealers answer to problems.
    Personally, if I'm not happy with anything on a car I'm looking at I walk away.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

879Posts Today

6,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Follow Martin