Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Golden_Glow90
    • By Golden_Glow90 15th Apr 18, 3:21 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Golden_Glow90
    Desparetly need some advise about my boiler
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:21 PM
    Desparetly need some advise about my boiler 15th Apr 18 at 3:21 PM
    So I had my system boiler serviced today. This is the 4th year so Iím unsure why no one else has picked up on the problem. Basically, my overflow pipe is leaking, the gas pipe and condensate pipe go into the cavity wall and not outside (which apparently is against gas safety regulations) and the expansion vessel on the unvented cylinder which was fitted is not big enough for the number of radiators we have which is why we keep loosing pressure and have to top it up every couple of weeks. I have a 5 year warranty with David Wilson Homes but they say the warranty is voided since the system has been installed incorrectly! Even though it was their fault. What can I do? How much is it going to cost to fix?
Page 1
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 15th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    Your contract is with David Wilson homes who I presumably contracted the work out. Regardless of whether their subby installed it correctly or not they should pay for the corrective work. Do you have legal cover with your home insurance?
    I had a system installed incorrectly by a gas safe registered subcontractor, it had to be ripped out and a new boiler installed. Unfortunately, in my case the company I'd contracted with had gone bust.
    • Golden_Glow90
    • By Golden_Glow90 15th Apr 18, 4:25 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Golden_Glow90
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:25 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:25 PM
    So since DWH won't do anything, and I don't have legal cover included on my home insurance policy, what should I do? I've never had to seek legal advice before so I don't really know how it works or if I even have enough evidence. I'm concerned that I'll end up paying 100s, maybe even 1000s getting it fixed which I can't afford.
    Last edited by Golden_Glow90; 15-04-2018 at 4:42 PM.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 15th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    boliston
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    I can't imagine fitting a larger expansion vessel would be expensive
    • Golden_Glow90
    • By Golden_Glow90 15th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Golden_Glow90
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    It's not just the expansion vessel. That would cost about £200-£250 to fit (based on quotes I've had) but the engineer has recommended that the condensate pipe and gas pipe are re-sited as they weren't installed as per the installation instructions.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 15th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 3,696 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    I have a 5 year warranty with David Wilson Homes but they say the warranty is voided since the system has been installed incorrectly!
    Originally posted by Golden_Glow90
    Doesn't make sense to me but I'd try local Citizens Advice (best to visit if they are local and not fully booked)
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/search-for-your-local-citizens-advice/
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    I guess the gas pipe being in a cavity there is a concern someone could drill thru it and not know its there. Would I bother to change it? No.

If the condensation pipe isn't venting outside or into an internal drain then this does need fixing. Shouldn't be an expensive job.

Note that many people had problems with this outside pipe freezing up this winter (and the boiler stopping working). So best to go into an internal drain pipe if there is one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,562Posts Today

4,582Users online

Martin's Twitter