Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevie1958
    • By stevie1958 15th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    stevie1958
    Pay Issues
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    Pay Issues 15th Apr 18 at 2:17 PM
    I am hoping someone could give me some advice on a issue I have with my pay, I started a new job a few months ago, I donít work on the same premises as my employers, as I am a security officer. When I started work I scanned and emailed my P45 to HR, when I got paid I was on emergency tax, so I phoned HMRC who sent my tax code electronically to my employer, as well as sending me a new tax code in the post, I phoned payroll a cple of weeks later who said I was still on emergency tax, so I scanned the tax notification I received and emailed to HR, that night I phoned HMRC who sent the tax code again to my employer, HMRC also told me my employer has not registered me as an employee, apparently that should be done within 35 days. I got paid again this month although late, it looks like I am still on emergency tax going by the amount I was paid, although I have not received my pay slip yet, we get them via email and still donít have it, I am not sure what to do now.
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 15th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    I think you probably aren't on an emergency tax code.

The emergency tax code is exactly the same as the code most people have, the "emergency" bit is that what you earned previously is ignored so if you had a period out of work the emergency code prevents you benefitting from any unused tax allowances you might have from the period out of work.

If you simply moved from one job to another with no real gap then the emergency code will probably make no difference. If anything though it is likely to mean you owe some extra tax, not be paying too much.

Is the tax being deducted 20% of your taxable wage?

If so that probably means you are on a BR (basic rate) tax code which is not emergency tax, it is the code often used for second jobs.

Also, you can look at your personal tax account to check what information your employer's have been sending to HMRC.
    • stevie1958
    • By stevie1958 15th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    stevie1958
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    Hi, last month I earned £540.00 and I paid £108.00, they have my tax code as 0T M1, I was not unemployed before this job I moved from another company.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 19,896 Posts
    • 15,603 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    Hi, last month I earned £540.00 and I paid £108.00, they have my tax code as 0T M1, I was not unemployed before this job I moved from another company.
    Originally posted by stevie1958

I'd say that it's very likely that HMRC think that rather than move from the old job to the new one you took the new job in addition to the old one. If that is not the case, and your new job is the only one that you have, then you need to tell HMRC so that they can correct the tax code at the new job.
    • dalo
    • By dalo 15th Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    dalo
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    What was the tax code on the P45 from your previous employment? If HMRC are saying they canít see you on their books then check the NI number on your last payslip is correct (if you have one) employers should be working on Real Time Information so HMRC should be getting notified of how much tax and NI is due from every employer as soon as you get paid.

Also by law they must issue a payslip on or before the money goes into your account.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 16th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 3,555 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    Originally posted by stevie1958

The tax code OT M1 means they are deducting 20% (basic rate) tax in respect of all your earnings for the month and will do the same every month until this is sorted.

When you say "they have my tax code", do you mean that that is what the employer is saying they are using or what they say they have been notified by HMRC. What did HMRC tell you your tax code would be for this tax year?
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 16th Apr 18, 9:36 PM
    • 7,130 Posts
    • 7,783 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:36 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:36 PM
    Surely earning that little you shouldn't even be paying tax
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 16th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    If the op was on the emergency tax code then no tax would be payable on a monthly payment of £540.

But they aren't on an emergency tax code and need to sort this out with their payroll people.
    • stevie1958
    • By stevie1958 17th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    stevie1958
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    Hi, well I would just like to clarify HMRC sent my new tax code to my employer, who admits they do have it, though say they will not use it until may, they said my tax code starts April but what I get paid in April is actually what I earned in March, I contacted HMRC again and they said that my employer should be using my new tax code,they gave me a phone number to give to my employer and said they need to speak to them as they still have not given any information about me to HMRC. Just to top it off they have not paid me for a days holiday I had last month, they have also deducted work place pension but the pension provider has sad my employer has not enrolled me in the pension.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,991Posts Today

6,213Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin