Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lowmiles
    • By lowmiles 15th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 81Posts
    • 15Thanks
    lowmiles
    Help Buy - Are my figures correct? Massive
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    Help Buy - Are my figures correct? Massive 15th Apr 18 at 1:55 PM
    Hi All,

currently looking to second step from 350k house to a 450k house. We have been on the market a few months and have viewed a few new builds. The agent (how helpful of them) said we should consider a 500K house with help buy. Having looked the guidance on the interest rates it looks a shocking deal if you can't pay it off in the first 5 years:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/help-to-buy-scheme-everything-you-need-to-know

Interest rates for paying back your loan

Years 1-5: no fees
    Year 6: 1.75% of the loan
    Year 7 onwards: 1.75% + RPI + 1%
    These fees do not go towards paying off the government loan.

So using my example if I took the max loan 20% 100K and RPI remained the same:
    Year 1-5 : no fees
    year 6: 1.75% = 1750 = 145 per month.
    year 7: 1.75 + RPI (current 3.6)+ 1 = 6.35% = 6350 = 529 per month

Considering most people would use this scheme to get on the housing market as they can't afford a big mortgage it seems crazy to give them house and then charge them a much higher interest rate that most mortgages after 5 years. It seems to defeat the whole purpose of the scheme and would only work if people can pay back the loan within the 5 years in which case they don't need the scheme in the first place.

I wonder how many people have bought this way and are sleep walking into potential bankruptcy. I certainly won't be taking one out.
Page 1
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 15th Apr 18, 3:18 PM
    • 9,973 Posts
    • 5,376 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:18 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:18 PM
    I think it's RPI +1 percent in year seven but that is still 4.6 percent as of today.
    With luck most people will have paid down some of the mortgage in the first 5/6 years and will then be able to remortgage with a lender the mortgage outstanding and the HTB loan.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    • 33,893 Posts
    • 18,394 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    If you assume inflation runs at 5% per annum, the rates are 1.75% in year six, 1.86% in year seven, 1.97% in year eight, 2.08% in year nine and so on.

See page 20 of the Buyer's Guide.

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/Help-to-Buy-Buyers-Guide-Feb-2018-FINAL.pdf
    Last edited by kingstreet; 15-04-2018 at 4:44 PM.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • lowmiles
    • By lowmiles 15th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    lowmiles
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    If you assume inflation runs at 5% per annum, the rates are 1.75% in year six, 1.86% in year seven, 1.97% in year eight, 2.08% in year nine and so on.

See page of the Buyer's Guide.

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/Help-to-Buy-Buyers-Guide-Feb-2018-FINAL.pdf
    Originally posted by kingstreet
    thanks so the RPI is added to the rate rather than the loan? Not clear at all from the link above I posted but is from your link
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    • 33,893 Posts
    • 18,394 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    Always better from the horse's mouth. The maths;-

1.75 x 6% = 0.105.
    1.75% + 0.105 = 1.855 rounded up to 1.86(%).
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin