Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • petesmile
    • By petesmile 15th Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    petesmile
    Debt Collectors Coming After Person Who No Longer Lives Here
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    Debt Collectors Coming After Person Who No Longer Lives Here 15th Apr 18 at 1:26 PM
    Iíve lived in the property 18 months now; previous tenant (AB) moved out before then.

AB still receives some post, including from bank at my address.

Recently, AB received a chasing letter from a debt collector. I donít see how AB will get this letter since there is no forwarding address and AB doesnít collect mail.

So, I imagine that the debt collector will keep sending mail and eventually even send bailiffs around Ė is that a possibility? I really donít want to have bailiffs coming around disturbing my piece.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? Should I be worried? What can I do to convince debt collector that AB no longer lives here and that they should stop sending mail.
Page 1
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 15th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5812355

Read above thread, might be more recent if you do a search.

I've dealt with a county court bailiff when in same situation, it was no sweat in the end, they soon backed off once they had confirmation I wasn't who they thought lived in the property. 6 months later nothing heard. I was a little worried that the person who's new address I gave out might come after me but that hasn't happened either. Touching wood! It helped getting an alternative address to give the bailiff too.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • petesmile
    • By petesmile 15th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    petesmile
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    Many thanks.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 15th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    Probably best to leave replies on just one of the multiple threads.

I suggest the one linked here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5828599
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 16th Apr 18, 3:37 PM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 5,312 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:37 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:37 PM
    Just returning the letters unopened marked "Return to Sender, Gone Away" will also help your peace of mind.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    • 14,030 Posts
    • 13,286 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    So, I imagine that the debt collector will keep sending mail and eventually even send bailiffs around Ė is that a possibility? I really donít want to have bailiffs coming around disturbing my piece.
    Originally posted by petesmile
    Do not confuse debt collectors with bailiffs, they are as different as chalk and cheese.

A debt collector will occasionally use self employed collectors to call on a client, but they are just ordinary members of the public, with no more power of entry than next doors cat, and there use is usually limited to inner city areas, where a number of clients can be visited at once, they are easily dealt with by telling them to go away.

Only a court can instruct a bailiff to act on behalf of a claimant, bailiff powers are not as far reaching as you may think, they cannot force entry to private property, unless they are chasing criminal fines and certain other debts, these do not include consumer credit debts.

Plus, they will only be county court bailiffs, not high court, as again, only the county court deals with consumer credit debts.

So as long as you do not allow them entry to your property, there is nothing they can do, as you are not the person they are looking for anyway, then usually showing two forms of ID is sufficient to send them on their way.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • bris
    • By bris 16th Apr 18, 11:54 PM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 6,607 Thanks
    bris
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:54 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:54 PM
    Open letter, call them explain the situation, you will never here from them again. RTS doesn't work, it never has, the letters will keep coming until you tell them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,122Posts Today

7,208Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin