Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • petesmile
    • By petesmile 15th Apr 18, 1:24 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    petesmile
    Debt Collectors Coming After Person Who No Longer Lives Here
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:24 PM
    Debt Collectors Coming After Person Who No Longer Lives Here 15th Apr 18 at 1:24 PM
    Ive lived in the property 18 months now; previous tenant (AB) moved out before then.

AB still receives some post, including from bank at my address.

Recently, AB received a chasing letter from a debt collector. I dont see how AB will get this letter since there is no forwarding address and AB doesnt collect mail.

So, I imagine that the debt collector will keep sending mail and eventually even send bailiffs around is that a possibility? I really dont want to have bailiffs coming around disturbing my piece.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? Should I be worried? What can I do to convince debt collector that AB no longer lives here and that they should stop sending mail.
Page 2
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 16th Apr 18, 6:47 AM
    • 6,902 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I've opened debt-chasing mail and called the company from time-to-time. Generally I've found they stop sending them. In some cases people have used my address for fraud and I really don't like them getting away with it.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 16th Apr 18, 9:34 AM
    • 5,501 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    We had this at university in student housing, a previous tenant had not bothered to pay a phone contract. Eventually when the debt collector letters started I rang them up and explained this was shared housing and the person wasn't there and suggested they speak to the university to get the person's new contact details/parent's home and they stopped sending them. Amused me that the debt went up and up and up and then dropped back to the first amount when they changed firm chasing
    • petesmile
    • By petesmile 16th Apr 18, 11:18 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    petesmile
    Amusing, indeed! Thanks for the responses.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    • 32,595 Posts
    • 20,512 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Amusing, indeed! Thanks for the responses.
    Originally posted by petesmile
    Rather than post the same thread twice just post it once, if it needs moving let the board guides move it.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 16th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Rather than post the same thread twice just post it once, if it needs moving let the board guides move it.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    It was at least three!
    • J B
    • By J B 16th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    J B
    We bought a cottage in N Wales a few years back - it was a repossession (turned out that the previous tenant had been growing whacky baccy in the shed!)

There came an 800 leccy bill as well as a few K credit card bills.
    I contacted all the senders and they stopped after a while.

*we were doing holiday lets, so didn't really want the unsuspecting guests giving the TV away to an over enthusiastic bailiff!
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 16th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    davethorp
    Debt collector letters kept coming for my ex girlfriend who moved out a year or so ago, Initially I passed them on to her. Then I started marking them as not at this address and to return to sender as the OP has been advised. They seem to have stopped now so suspect they!!!8217;ve got the message.

Debt collectors will eventually do a credit search on a debtor which usually gives them their current address at which point they will send their threatograms there instead

• daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 16th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 6,220 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Depends on the paperwork and the reason for the debt, but if it gets to Court with an incorrect address, the address will be provided to the bailiffs and they will call as they only act on instruction.

Been there, got the T shirt, this despite sending all mail back.

I was out when the bailiffs called so called them. Told them the person didn't live at the addess and it was a mistake. I had a suspciion who they were after so went and saw him and left the bailiffs number.

After that I heard nothing more, but had I not had an idea who it was it would have meant calling the police to see them off.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 17th Apr 18, 8:07 AM
    • 6,902 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I've usually found bailiffs quite easy to deal with in these situations. Obviously they are concerned that you're not the debtor "pretending".
    • pimento
    • By pimento 17th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 7,122 Thanks
    pimento

I assume though that you have opened the envelope which was not a good idea as this suggests that you want to pry into someone else's affairs which doesn't really demonstrate good faith.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    What a load of old baloney. Good faith? What law is that, then?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,262Users online

Martin's Twitter