Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • petesmile
    • By petesmile 15th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    petesmile
    Debt Collectors Coming After Person Who No Longer Lives Here
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    Debt Collectors Coming After Person Who No Longer Lives Here 15th Apr 18 at 1:23 PM
    Iíve lived in the property 18 months now; previous tenant (AB) moved out before then.

AB still receives some post, including from bank at my address.

Recently, AB received a chasing letter from a debt collector. I donít see how AB will get this letter since there is no forwarding address and AB doesnít collect mail.

So, I imagine that the debt collector will keep sending mail and eventually even send bailiffs around Ė is that a possibility? I really donít want to have bailiffs coming around disturbing my piece.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? Should I be worried? What can I do to convince debt collector that AB no longer lives here and that they should stop sending mail.
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 15th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    Just write "Not known at this address" on the letters and stick them into a post box.

Will that help? Almost certainly not, but it's about the only thing you can do. There's no point entering into a dialogue with these people. I've had this at every address I've ever lived at.

It's unlikely anyone will turn up on the doorstep. The debt collector will send a bunch of letters then sell the debt on, the next debt collector does the same and so on. Even if you persuade them the person no longer lives there you have to do it all over again each time the debt is sold on.
    • petesmile
    • By petesmile 15th Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    petesmile
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    Interesting insight - thank you!
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 15th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    Probably best to leave replies on just one of the multiple threads.

I suggest the one linked here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5828599
    • spotify95
    • By spotify95 16th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    spotify95
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    For the first few months after moving into my flat I was getting credit card application letters addressed to the previous occupier.
    • pafpcg
    • By pafpcg 16th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    pafpcg
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    How long will mailings still come for previous occupants?
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    For the first few months after moving into my flat I was getting credit card application letters addressed to the previous occupier.
    Originally posted by spotify95
    A few months? That's nothing!

In the first flat we bought, we got yachting magazines for about a year and the free accountancy weeklies for about two. For the house we've lived in for three decades now, once the mail redirection finished, we had lots of mail for the previous family: the annual school magazine and fundraising appeal letters from the public school attended by the son (and the father) kept coming for about ten years, the cricket club must have been fifteen years at least and it's probably only about ten years since the hockey club sent their last fixtures mailing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,367Posts Today

7,887Users online

Martin's Twitter