Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pepperpop
    • By pepperpop 15th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 5Thanks
    pepperpop
    Help understanding credit file
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    Help understanding credit file 15th Apr 18 at 12:47 PM
    Hi my husband and I checked our credit file rating on mycreditfile the ratings are 855 and 868 (very good) but on Experian mine is fair hubbys is good - we are close to limits on our credit cards and are trying to remortgage to consolidated debt as we are only really to afford minimum payments and it will take us years to pay off (and cost loads). We have always paid everything on time bar last year was 2 days late making a loan repayment (still in same calendar month). No CCJs or DMP. How else can we improve our rating? Also how do I know if a search is hard or soft? Some searched say money laundering some say quotation I can see 2 searched by our potential lender saying money laundering and quotation? How do i know if its a hard search and if it will look bad on our credit file. Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 18,111 Posts
    • 19,316 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    Don't try to change the rating as it doesn't exist.

Manage your credit responsibly so that lenders view you more positively. Pay on time and as much as you can, even if only a pound over the minimum.
    • pepperpop
    • By pepperpop 15th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    pepperpop
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    Don't try to change the rating as it doesn't exist.

Manage your credit responsibly so that lenders view you more positively. Pay on time and as much as you can, even if only a pound over the minimum.
    Originally posted by zx81
    thanks I had recently read that even paying a little over helps - mind you sometimes if i pay a bit over they then reduce my direct debit by the extra I've paid..... But i will definitely do this now even if it only 1.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,019 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    Paying over helps with what?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 32,346 Posts
    • 20,343 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    You say you were late with a payment, why was a direct not setup, either that or put it into your phones calender that you need to make a payment on a set date.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,569Posts Today

9,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin