Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 15th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,522Posts
    • 297Thanks
    britishboy
    Can you divide ceiling voids?
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    Can you divide ceiling voids? 15th Apr 18 at 11:33 AM
    Weíve recently had a water leak from the bathroom, itís ruined an old kitchen ceiling as per my other post (were not overly fussed about this as it was artexed and woodchip paper anyway)

Some has run above the plasterboard ceiling and over the new lounge ceiling so we have watermarks to overpaint.

Can you separate the void between downstairs ceiling and upstairs floorboards so if we had another leak, it would contain the water to above the kitchen area? Hope that makes sense

I donít mean completely sealed (although would probably be better?), but some sort of divider to keep majority of the water away from the lounge
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    • 24,917 Posts
    • 68,308 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    Water goes where it will.

Plumb your bathroom in properly!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 15th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 3,301 Posts
    • 7,875 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    ...Can you separate the void between downstairs ceiling and upstairs floorboards so if we had another leak, it would contain the water to above the kitchen area? Hope that makes sense...
    Originally posted by britishboy
    How do you propose doing that?

As far as I can imagine, it would be close to impossible to do with 100% success and would cost far more than doing your best to avoid further water leaks.

As DG writes above sort out your plumbing.

Also make sure you have adequate insurance.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin