Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gman1988
    • By Gman1988 15th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gman1988
    Signed to have work carried out after completion
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    Signed to have work carried out after completion 15th Apr 18 at 10:01 AM
    Hi,

I’m not sure if this is the correct part of the forum to be posting but here goes!

We’ve recently completed on our first home !!!128522;

Prior to completion we had to sign a letter which stated that we would have damp proofing carried out within 3 months of completion. During the lenders valuation “rising damp was noted”

I’m our naivety we rushed and got two free damp & timber reports. One came to £6,000 worth of work & the second was quoted at £4,500. After more research it would seem that these company’s will always quote for work on a free report.

Our issue is that in the letter we signed we have stated we would get the work carried out by the cheaper of the two contracters.

The previous occupants of our home stated they had no issues with damp and we’ve been here for a month now and there is no sign of damp whatsoever. We’ve looked everywhere and there is no build up of condensation even throughout the house.

Are we within our rights to get a third opinion from a company who has no interest in carrying out out the work so we can get a genuine quote?

What if we refuse to get the work carried out? What can our lenders do?

Thanks
    Last edited by Gman1988; 15-04-2018 at 5:18 PM.
Page 1
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 15th Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    • 4,306 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    Old Git
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    Lots of surveys show damp with no real damp problem .I had a similar survey 25 years ago .i did nothing never seen damp .
    For your own peace of mind you could ask a local builder to have a look or get another company (and pay) to have a look.

If mortgage ask (they probably wont ) just tell them its sorted .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • Gman1988
    • By Gman1988 15th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gman1988
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    Unfortunately we have to send damp proofing certificates to our lenders when the work has been carried out. We had to sign a letter to say that we would do this.
    Last edited by Gman1988; 15-04-2018 at 5:18 PM.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 34,117 Posts
    • 18,511 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    Pay for an independent report by someone who doesn't fit damp courses to earn a living. Follow the recommendations and forward the report and invoices for any remedial work to the lender.

http://www.independentdampsurveyors.co.uk/
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

331Posts Today

2,152Users online

Martin's Twitter