Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shadow7uk
    • By Shadow7uk 15th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Shadow7uk
    Pushy estate agents
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    Pushy estate agents 15th Apr 18 at 9:04 AM
    Hello,

I have placed an offer on a house and the EA have told me that I have to see their Mortage Advisor.
    I have told them I am happy with my AIP of which I am happy to show them. I would even show them my mortgage statement to prove my equity deposit.

I don't want to waste my time and theirs going through their sales pitch and doing further credit checks.

Like I said I'm very happy with my mortgage quite from my bank.

What are my legal rights? Can they refuse my offer of the basis I won't see their MA?

Thank you
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 15th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 6,335 Posts
    • 6,190 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    What are my legal rights? Can they refuse my offer of the basis I won't see their MA?
    Originally posted by Shadow7uk
    The law says that an EA has to pass all offers to the seller, unless the seller has specifically requested otherwise in writing.

So in theory, the seller could have said "Don't forward me any offers unless the buyer has been verified by the mortgage advisor".

But, in your position, I would put my offer in writing in an email, and perhaps say that I will talk to the advisor if/when the offer is accepted.

...And if the offer is accepted, perhaps change my mind about talking to the advisor.
    Last edited by eddddy; 15-04-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    • the_quick
    • By the_quick 15th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    the_quick
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    we have been in exactly same situation, EA said they will not accept my offer unless we see their mortgage adviser - we ended up doing it, which was waste of time. Adviser checked our details and show mortgages they can offer - not better than our broker did. But adviser said that offer was already passed on vendor, to our surprise. There was no financial "checking" just trying to get their mortgage. I guess agents get a cut, from mortgage adviser.
    AIP is already an initial assessment of your finance situation and should be good for anyone.
    Trying to reach office manager and check if you have to come for this meeting.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 15th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    SG27
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    Just go along. If only to keep the agent happy. Ive had to do this and the mortgage broker even told me I way lying when I told her the rate I had!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin