Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdamPD
    • By AdamPD 15th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    • 90Posts
    • 17Thanks
    AdamPD
    When sharing the expenses 50/50, isn't 50/50.
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    When sharing the expenses 50/50, isn't 50/50. 15th Apr 18 at 8:29 AM
    Hi all,

So I co own my home with my father, we split the bills 50/50, although there have been numerous times my father has "accidentally" charged me more for a bill and pocketed the cash for himself, so I make a point of going over what we have coming in, vs going out.

We have lodgers in our home to take care of all the bills and mortgage.

The problem I'm faced with right now and it's been an issue for a while, is when an item of expense, such as an appliance, needs to be replaced.

When an appliance is coming to the end of it's life, I replace it before it breaks down, because we have lodgers, they need to be able to wash their clothes, cook their meals and of course keep their food frozen/fresh in the fridge freezers they each have.

So I've basically been the one who's bought ALL the appliances in the house, the oven, the dishwasher, the washing machine, the tumble dryer, the two fridge freezers for the lodgers and my dad didn't offer to pay anything towards the cost of any of them.

And anytime he does offer to replace something that's broken down completely, he always buys it as cheap as possible and rarely, if ever, brand new, it's always second hand crap that's dented/damaged and never lasts more than a few months.

So now our washing machine's bearings are going, it's 8 years old, is used by 4 people, so it has done pretty well.

But it cost me around 700 and I've mentioned four times now that it needs to be replaced, but he hasn't offered to buy one, or asked me to help him buy one, he just shrugs it off.

And I know what's going to happen, it will break down, like the fridge freezer and he will go and spend 100 on a defunct, damaged one from a local shop which deals with damaged second hand goods, then it will last 6 months, tops a year, then he'll expect me to buy the next one.

It just drives me nuts.
Page 2
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 16th Apr 18, 2:37 PM
    • 4,498 Posts
    • 7,154 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Have you considered taking out a large life insurance policy on Dad and Uncle - and then inviting them on a walk along Beachy Head?
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Probably a waste of money as I don't see an insurable interest here. Even if the OP got away with it, the insurance wouldn't pay out as the OP does not suffer a loss on his dad's death.

Personally I would do what the OP's uncle has apparently done, and walk away from the whole mess.

I know, I'm just trying to make it work here you know? I don't want to sell because when he dies (IF he eventually gets his will sorted), his share will pass to me.
    by AdamPD
    What does that have to do with it? If you sell, you will have cash (which you could use as a deposit on a mortgage) and your Dad will have cash. On his death, the cash would pass to you, exactly the same as the share of the house would. IF he sorts his Will out.

The "IF" suggests that you don't actually stand to inherit anything at the moment, which makes this even more irrelevant. What's the point of basing your decisions on an inheritance which you may never get?

You might say "If we sell he might spend the cash" but that makes no difference as he could spend his share of the house if he wanted, by borrowing money. Whether you sell the property or not makes no difference - either way you could receive nothing, if he spends all the cash or if he borrows money and the debt swallows up the value of his 1/3rd of the house.

Is your area so outstandingly fabulously desirable that it's better to live with your Dad and two lodgers in an arrangement you dislike, than to have your own place somewhere you can afford to buy using your third of the money from selling the house?
    • AdamPD
    • By AdamPD 16th Apr 18, 2:45 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    AdamPD
    Is your area so outstandingly fabulously desirable that it's better to live with your Dad and two lodgers in an arrangement you dislike, than to have your own place somewhere you can afford to buy using your third of the money from selling the house?
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    Heh, truthfully the only reason I Stay here is because my mum lives 2 minutes up the road by car.
    I would love to move out and get a place up north personally, it's something to consider for sure
    I'm going to try the remortgage route next April and if that doesn't work, then I'll ask my dad to sell.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 16th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    andydownes123
    I would move house. Who wants to be living with their dad and lodgers!! Move out, get own place with own lodgers.
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 16th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    barbarawright
    How long are you planning to live in a bedsit, putting your life on hold until your father dies? High price to pay for a *possible* inheritance.
    • Detroit
    • By Detroit 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    Detroit
    'Aah-rold...

Put your hands up.
    • Bellisima
    • By Bellisima 18th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Bellisima
    I have heard of kids sponging off their parents, but never parents sponging off their kids. My dad was tight as a****oles and was a nightmare when an appliance broke down. He acted as though buying a new washing machine was a luxury item, my poor mum........the sad thing was he had plenty of money but was just a miser. I left home pretty sharpish and never regretted it. I do not know how you can stick it - get out now!
    Last edited by Bellisima; 18-04-2018 at 9:38 AM. Reason: Grammar error
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 18th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Indout96
    Do you do your tax return as a partnership or as individual people ?

A decent quality washer should be in the region of 300 max (Hotpoint Aquarius is 280 at currys)so 150 each and by the time you offset that against tax you are not far off the figure you say your father is willing to pay.

if you want to spend 800 on an overpriced that's your choice
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • shapala
    • By shapala 18th Apr 18, 11:23 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 14,543 Thanks
    shapala
    Do you do your tax return as a partnership or as individual people ?

A decent quality washer should be in the region of 300 max (Hotpoint Aquarius is 280 at currys)so 150 each and by the time you offset that against tax you are not far off the figure you say your father is willing to pay.

if you want to spend 800 on an overpriced that's your choice
    Originally posted by Indout96
    Yeah, totally agree. Even 8KG LG Titan is 349 at Currys and Sammy 9Kg Ecobubbles can be had for circa 400. Absolutely no reason to be spending 800 for a washing machine.
    • AdamPD
    • By AdamPD 18th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    AdamPD
    No I completely agree about buying a normal priced machine, at the time I was buying items for this house as a home, rather than a business, I wanted the best, to make it feel more homely, but at the end of the day it's just not worth it.

I'm probably going to buy the Samsung Ecobubble one at 419 from appliancesdirect, as it has the 9kg drum and 5 year warranty.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin