Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sammibo
    • By sammibo 15th Apr 18, 1:57 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    sammibo
    DRO queries
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:57 AM
    DRO queries 15th Apr 18 at 1:57 AM
    Hi all, just need a bit of advice.

I'm in debt (11k) and have made some enquiries to StepChange. I'm applying for benefits too, so I haven't made a decision yet as my income may increase. My creditors have accepted token payments so no preferential treatment is being shown.

I want to take a DRO but how difficult will it be to get a mortgage in the next couple of years realistically? When I renew my phone contract in 14 months, will I be rejected? I'm married and my partner doesn't know about my debt...
Page 1
    • debt doctor
    • By debt doctor 15th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 6,004 Thanks
    debt doctor
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    Hi,

Most financial information - good or bad - goes on your credit files and once there will stay there for 6 years.
    You would find it incredibly difficult to obtain a mortgage within a few years of a DRO - however, if your credit debts are on token offers, you wont get a mortgage any time soon on that record either.
    Your credit rating is already damaged, what matters is (if you qualify) what will a DRO do for you?
    If you need protection from the pressure of creditors or you feel these debts could go on for ever if you don't do something then maybe a DRO is a way forward.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
    • Twubble
    • By Twubble 15th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Twubble
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    Probably a good idea to let your husband know about your debt. If you have linked finances a DRO is going to affect his credit rating as well. Six years is a very long time to try and hide something as big as a DRO. Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,448Posts Today

7,995Users online

Martin's Twitter