Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markusvic
    • By markusvic 15th Apr 18, 12:10 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    markusvic
    Neighbour planning velux window facing my bedroom
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:10 AM
    Neighbour planning velux window facing my bedroom 15th Apr 18 at 12:10 AM
    Hi I wonder if anyone can advise me on how can i stop this.
    I m in a typical Victorian mid terrace with kitchen / bathroom in a single storey extension.

My next door neighbour is redesigning his bathroom and he is removing the ceiling and wants a velux above the shower. But that faces my single storey extension and lookimg upwards is my back bedroom window and i feel even with frosted windows is a massive invasion of my privacy.

Also i m using the space betwen his single storey extension and his as a seating area in the summer. I would not want him opening the window and bathroom smells coming on my terrace or steam

Surely this is not right but apparently is permitted development. Can i stop him?

Thanks
Page 2
    • cajef
    • By cajef 15th Apr 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4,744 Posts
    • 3,787 Thanks
    cajef
    Reading all three of their threads with threats of taking people to court the OP sound like the neighbour from hell.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 15th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    He also wants to build a conservatory/orangery in the space he is currently protecting
    Originally posted by warby68
    Groan. Not another one. How many citrus fruits do we need? Or does the OP mean a "conservatory with a roof"?
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 15th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 8,490 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    ..If you want privacy, move to the countryside.
    Originally posted by usefulmale
    Then he really will have some smells to worry about.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    • 25,017 Posts
    • 68,497 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    He also wants to build a conservatory/orangery in the space he is currently protecting - slightly more glass than one obscured velux window!!!
    Originally posted by warby68
    I hope he subsequently lies down on his orangerie floor all day and stares up at the OP's bedroom window, looking for his smiling face.

If I were the OP's neighbour I suspect I'd rather look anywhere but next door.

Edit: I've just seen the thread. **The OP is planning a conservatory**.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 15-04-2018 at 1:18 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • redux
    • By redux 15th Apr 18, 2:47 PM
    • 18,104 Posts
    • 23,884 Thanks
    redux
    Yes this neighbour prooved to make improvements that affect me. So the velux he wants is on single storey extension looking at about 45 degrees towards my upper level bedroom window so i think looking up they can see the bedroom.
    Originally posted by markusvic
    Do you have any bedrooms at the front of the house?

What about the view from the road?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th Apr 18, 3:01 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Yes this neighbour prooved to make improvements that affect me. So the velux he wants is on single storey extension looking at about 45 degrees towards my upper level bedroom window so i think looking up they can see the bedroom. What annoys me if he had it the other side he wouldnt be overlooking my house.
    Originally posted by markusvic
    How will a velux on your next door neighbours house be looking at yours?
    • ashe
    • By ashe 15th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ashe
    How will a velux on your next door neighbours house be looking at yours?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Sounds like OP has built extension with windows looking atbth3ir neighbour, but doesn’t want the neighbour to enjoy the same luxury.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,556Posts Today

8,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin