Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 14th Apr 18, 11:02 PM
    • 414Posts
    • 166Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Halifax remortgage.
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:02 PM
    Halifax remortgage. 14th Apr 18 at 11:02 PM
    Few weeks i asked advice regards remortgage and waiting until defaults come off credit file...obviously its worth waiting until they come off sep/oct time.

Popped into Halifax other day and lady at counter did ask regards mortgage and i explained i was looking at doing it in september...mortgage advisor come over and said they can lock a deal in with agreed rate for 6 months.

Im curious could they lock in a rate now taking into account defaults that come off in September...or would the rate be based on credit history as it is now,which would obviously be pointless.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 14th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    • 58,528 Posts
    • 51,884 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    Based on info at point of application. Though may well check again before releasing funds.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Dan83
    • By Dan83 15th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Dan83
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    I also have a mortgage with Halifax and my deal is due to end in Jan 19, I didn!!!8217;t know they guaranteed rates for 6 months!

Do you have an idea roughly what your property is worth and how much you owe? Work out your loan to value and look the mortgage interest rate up on the Halifax website.

In my experience that is always what they offer and when I!!!8217;ve tried to haggle, never got anywhere.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 15th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    Based on info at point of application. Though may well check again before releasing funds.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir

Which is what i assumed it would be..a lot can change (worse) in six months,hence why i said cant even look at anything until september.

Think i"ll pop and drink his coffee and let him go through the motions,few hours off work and will be interesting in what he has to say.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • Maelwys
    • By Maelwys 16th Apr 18, 3:42 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Maelwys
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:42 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:42 PM
    I also have a mortgage with Halifax and my deal is due to end in Jan 19, I didn!!!8217;t know they guaranteed rates for 6 months!

Do you have an idea roughly what your property is worth and how much you owe? Work out your loan to value and look the mortgage interest rate up on the Halifax website.

In my experience that is always what they offer and when I!!!8217;ve tried to haggle, never got anywhere.
    Originally posted by Dan83
    You're correct in saying that most providers don't seem to like haggling with their publicly listed mortgage rates (I highly suspect that these are set by some Central team and that regular staff have no authority to alter them!), but I have sometimes had a bit of luck getting them to take another look at which LTV band I currently fall into. It seems that there's occasionally a little bit of extra wiggle room over a property's 'estimated value' whenever it comes to retaining existing customers.

(Which obviously is only helpful if you're not already on the best LTV... but otherwise might be worth trying!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

196Posts Today

1,969Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin