Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ngh
    • By ngh 14th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ngh
    Google Pixel problem - who is responsible?!
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    Google Pixel problem - who is responsible?! 14th Apr 18 at 8:23 PM
    Hi,

I took out a contract with mobiles.co.uk on the 14/3/2017 for a Google Pixel phone with EE. The phone was working great up until a week or so before the 1 year anniversary of my contract when it restarted about 5 times in a row (each time failing to actually boot). After the 5 times, it finally booted and behaved itself for another couple of weeks so assuming it was a one off 'glitch' ignored it.

A couple of weeks later it restarted it self constantly over the course of a day until finally it killed itself and couldn't be charged or booted. I contacted mobiles.co.uk who said that as I was outside of their returns time I'd have to contact the manufacturer or I could send it to them to have fixed at a price.

I contacted Google Pixel support who offered me a refurbished phone in exchange. I received the refurbished phone and within a week was experiencing random freezing, reboots, not being able to make or receive calls, the fingerprint scanner not working etc etc. I contacted Google again who offered to exchange the phone yet again. I have received the 'new' refurbished phone and within 24 hours I'm experiencing the same issues again (both in normal mode and in safe mode where no other apps apart from stock apps are run - so it's not a third party app problem).

Having Googled the issue it seems like quite a few people are having this problem and it seems to be a problem with the latest version of Android and the Google Pixel hardware not playing ball - I can't posts links because I'm new but Googling 'google pixel oreo reboot freezing' will give you some results

I have contacted Google support yet again who are only offering me another refurbished device. I'm getting sick and tired of sending my phone back only to get another one that doesn't work and there's no end in site.

I'm wondering who I should be directing my anger at and who should be responsible for ensuring that the phone I've paid for actually works (baring in mind I haven't broken it, proved by the fact that these 2 refurbished phones I've received both don't work either) - mobiles.co.uk or Google? On the one hand it was mobiles.co.uk who sold me the phone, but seemingly Google who broke it with their update!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end!!
Page 1
    • d123
    • By d123 14th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 7,181 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    d123
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    Your consumer rights are exclusively with your retailer, except you've now swapped those rights away...

You're going to have to stick with whatever the manufacturer is willing to do now.
    ====
    • ngh
    • By ngh 15th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ngh
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    Well luckily EE didn't agree with that and allowed me to cancel my contract a year early with no fee and no argument.

Win-win for everyone as I get a working phone and they get to tie me in for another 2 years.

If only I'd gone to them in the first place!
    • d123
    • By d123 15th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 7,181 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    d123
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    Well luckily EE didn't agree with that and allowed me to cancel my contract a year early with no fee and no argument.

Win-win for everyone as I get a working phone and they get to tie me in for another 2 years.

If only I'd gone to them in the first place!
    Originally posted by ngh
    That'll be a first for EE, they released you from your contract because a third party handset was faulty?

Either you're extremely lucky or in about 4-6 weeks you're going to be getting a nasty bill from EE.

Hopes it's the former, for your sake...
    ====
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 15th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 18,710 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    As above, that is extremely surprising. I hope you got it in writing!

• ngh
    • By ngh 15th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ngh
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    That'll be a first for EE, they released you from your contract because a third party handset was faulty?

Either you're extremely lucky or in about 4-6 weeks you're going to be getting a nasty bill from EE.

Hopes it's the former, for your sake...
    Originally posted by d123
    Well you've got me worried now! I explained the situation to the lady, mentioned I'd had 2 refurbished phones from Google, asking if they (EE) could exchange for a non-pixel phone. She went to her manager and came back saying they could cancel the contract and let me upgrade early... she asked for the IMEI of the phone I currently had, went away and came back saying it was all done and that she'd transfer me to the upgrades team to get a new phone sorted... At no point was it mentioned I'd get charged for the early upgrade!

Just rang back to confirm and ask for something in writing, spoke to a man who said everything I'd said about it being cancelled with no fee was noted on the system and there were no pending charges on the system but that due to data protection he couldn't email anything out... and then offered 39 off my next bill (the value of that bill) for the inconvenience!!! On the one hand it does seem to good to be true but I don't know what else I can do to check!

Fingers crossed they do as they've said...
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 15th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 7,697 Posts
    • 2,468 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    I hope you noted the man's name and date and time you spoke with him. Sounds like complete nonsense that they can't confirm anything by email. If and when the charges eventually arrive you'll need accurate notes of who told you what and when and hope they recorded the conversations.
    • ngh
    • By ngh 15th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ngh
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    Yep.

From the sounds of what everyone's saying on this thread EE's customer service is pretty bad but unless this all goes horribly wrong (which I'm well aware now could still happen) I've got nothing but good things to say about them. Maybe I'm just being naive! Time will tell.
    • d123
    • By d123 15th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    • 7,181 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    d123
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    Well you've got me worried now! I explained the situation to the lady, mentioned I'd had 2 refurbished phones from Google, asking if they (EE) could exchange for a non-pixel phone. She went to her manager and came back saying they could cancel the contract and let me upgrade early... she asked for the IMEI of the phone I currently had, went away and came back saying it was all done and that she'd transfer me to the upgrades team to get a new phone sorted... At no point was it mentioned I'd get charged for the early upgrade!

Just rang back to confirm and ask for something in writing, spoke to a man who said everything I'd said about it being cancelled with no fee was noted on the system and there were no pending charges on the system but that due to data protection he couldn't email anything out... and then offered 39 off my next bill (the value of that bill) for the inconvenience!!! On the one hand it does seem to good to be true but I don't know what else I can do to check!

Fingers crossed they do as they've said...
    Originally posted by ngh
    Ok, that makes a little more sense, that isn't quite a penalty free cancellation as you've upgraded to a new contract with them.

I wonder if they've added the time left on the old contract on to the new contract (or at least that's how it used to work) or someone really felt sorry for you.

In the MyEE app, what is the end date for your minimum term showing as?
    ====
    • ngh
    • By ngh 15th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ngh
    Ah yes, to be fair she said she'd cancelled the contract before she put me through to the upgrades team but whether that's true or not I'm not sure, but I guess technically if she had I could probably have gone elsewhere. I thought it was only fair to stick with them though, especially as I've had no issue with them over several years.

The EE app is showing contract starts today and ends 15 Apr 2020.
    • d123
    • By d123 15th Apr 18, 8:10 PM
    • 7,181 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    d123
    Ah yes, to be fair she said she'd cancelled the contract before she put me through to the upgrades team but whether that's true or not I'm not sure, but I guess technically if she had I could probably have gone elsewhere. I thought it was only fair to stick with them though, especially as I've had no issue with them over several years.

The EE app is showing contract starts today and ends 15 Apr 2020.
    Originally posted by ngh
    You have been incredibly lucky, maybe consider getting a lottery ticket this week...
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter