Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kimberley1234
    • By Kimberley1234 14th Apr 18, 8:13 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Kimberley1234
    Dla to pip
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:13 PM
    Dla to pip 14th Apr 18 at 8:13 PM
    I have received the letter saying that my dla is stopping in May and have to now apply for pip.
    I telephoned them to my the claim and was told that I will be contacted in the next two weeks and if I don't get a from by the 2nd of May then to ring back. Does any one know what happens next.

Thanks

Kimberley
Page 3
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 21st Jun 18, 10:51 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 2,796 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    You can get a perching stool, and .......
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    A perching stool is classed as a aid for the preparing meals activity , and would score two points.

1. Preparing food.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points.

This is from the PIP assessors guide:
    "In this activity, aids and appliances could include, for example, prostheses, perching stool, and spiked chopping boards."
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#daily-living-activities
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Kimberley1234
    • By Kimberley1234 24th Jun 18, 10:23 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kimberley1234
    If i did cook i would need to use a stool but theres alot more in cooking then just peeling a potato. Unless you lime eating raw potatoes.

Kim
    • Ames
    • By Ames 24th Jun 18, 10:58 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 30,945 Thanks
    Ames
    If i did cook i would need to use a stool but theres alot more in cooking then just peeling a potato. Unless you lime eating raw potatoes.

Kim
    Originally posted by Kimberley1234
    I think they use peeling a potato for two reasons. Firstly, for a lot of people it's the hardest part. It needs manual dexterity, you have to be safe with a sharp implement, pressure on hand and wrist joints. Secondly, because of all those reasons, it means they can extrapolate it to other tasks and descriptors. If you can peel a potato you can probably use a pen, you probably have awareness of common hazards, can probably turn taps and fasten buttons...

That's just my opinion, not something official I've read.

If you tell us what problems you do have with cooking we'll be able to suggest whether or not it might apply for PIP.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Kimberley1234
    • By Kimberley1234 24th Jun 18, 11:10 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kimberley1234
    I cant walk or stand without crutches and i am in pain when doing it.

I havent attempt to cook for years husband does every thing. I can help with cutting vegetables and salads but thats done in another room not the kitchen.
    I have never said there is any thing wrong with my hand even though i get wrist pain from using the crutches.

Kim
    • Ames
    • By Ames 25th Jun 18, 12:09 AM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 30,945 Thanks
    Ames
    I cant walk or stand without crutches and i am in pain when doing it.

I havent attempt to cook for years husband does every thing. I can help with cutting vegetables and salads but thats done in another room not the kitchen.
    I have never said there is any thing wrong with my hand even though i get wrist pain from using the crutches.

Kim
    I'm afraid that for PIP you're going to have to be a lot more detailed and specific. We've covered needing a perching stool (or sitting in another room). Think about everything involved in making a 'proper' meal and the problems you'd have at each step. That's what you need to make clear to the DWP/Tribunal.
    • w06
    • By w06 25th Jun 18, 8:37 AM
    • 743 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    w06
    choosing not to cook isn't in anyway the same as not being able to cook. You'll have to wait and see what you were awarded, but it sounds as though maximum of 2 points, for needing to sit down whilst preparing a meal
    • Kimberley1234
    • By Kimberley1234 25th Jun 18, 10:44 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kimberley1234
    To make a meal you have to move around a lot in the kitchen from sink to fridge to cooker etc. Then theres bending for cooker which i cant. I cant walk without crutches or support and it would take ages for me and leave me tired.

I have just rung them to ask for the report so will see what that says.

But dont expect any points on that.
    Plus i didnt really aim for points which i knew now i was supposed to and i only really wanted to keep the car as thats needed more than anything unless my husband leaves me.

Kim
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 25th Jun 18, 1:18 PM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 12,058 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I was refused points on cooking because I can put a Tupperware dish in the microwave even though taking it out and burning myself is a huge risk.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Kimberley1234
    • By Kimberley1234 25th Jun 18, 6:09 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kimberley1234
    I thinks thats what they do. I have help with dressing and washing by my husband and they where trying to say i could buy a long handle brush and the shops sell aids to help with dressing. But if i use them i probably wouldnt get points for them.

Kim
    • Ames
    • By Ames 25th Jun 18, 7:46 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 30,945 Thanks
    Ames
    I thinks thats what they do. I have help with dressing and washing by my husband and they where trying to say i could buy a long handle brush and the shops sell aids to help with dressing. But if i use them i probably wouldnt get points for them.

Kim
    You would get points for using aids, but not as many as for needing help from another person.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 25th Jun 18, 9:42 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 2,796 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Kim,

I wonder if it's worth editing your opening post to explain your present situation?
    Because of the length of this thread (and time since your op), it's not easily identifiable where you now are in the process of moving from DLA to PIP.

Are you still awaiting the decision from your PIP assessment?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • easy
    • By easy 26th Jun 18, 2:01 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    easy
    I was refused points on cooking because I can put a Tupperware dish in the microwave even though taking it out and burning myself is a huge risk.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    But in that case Jen, you answered the question incorrectly. You can't heat up a microwave meal, because you can't deal with it once it is hot (exactly the same for me).
    Putting a tupperware box into the microwave isn't preparing a meal.
    If I was asked "can you put a tupperware box of food into the microwave?" I would answer no. If they followed that up with "why not" I would tell them it was because I couldn't safely take it out again.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • Kimberley1234
    • By Kimberley1234 26th Jun 18, 2:45 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kimberley1234
    I had my assessment last monday and haven't heard any thing as yet. But know it take awile any way.
    I now do think that when i was told the froms there to trip you up then the assessment is there to trip you up its true.
    Honestly i filled in the froms telling them what i can and cant do.

I did what i did with my sons dla he gets middle care and lower mobility even when every professional i have spoken to says he should be on full.
    Maybe because i didnt get help filli g in the froms.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 26th Jun 18, 2:52 PM
    • 7,947 Posts
    • 17,352 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I did what i did with my sons dla he gets middle care and lower mobility even when every professional i have spoken to says he should be on full.

Professionals often don't understand the criteria for DLA, in my experience. To be awarded DLA, a child must have more care and/or mobility needs compared to another child of the same age. Middle rate care is awarded for substantial care needs either day OR night. High rate care is awarded for substantial care needs both day AND night.

High rate mobility is usually for those who are virtually unable to walk, although it can be awarded for severe behavioural difficulties if high rate care has been awarded. Low rate is for help with supervision.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 26th Jun 18, 4:48 PM
    • 3,413 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I had my assessment last monday and haven't heard any thing as yet. But know it take awile any way.
    I now do think that when i was told the froms there to trip you up then the assessment is there to trip you up its true.
    Honestly i filled in the froms telling them what i can and cant do.

Last Monday is only 6 working days ago because you don't count weekends. I know you're anxious but 6 days isn't long at all. Have you rang for a copy of the assessment report? This will give you a good idea what the decision will be, as they mostly go with the report. It's also useful to have if you're refused and have to go down the MR/Tribunal route.

DLA and PIP are totally different. The forms aren't there to trip you up but you do need to have some understanding of the descriptors and going by your previous comments i don't believe you fully understand it.

You will also need relevant evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone, as has been stated.

You stated that it was only the mobility part you were wanting because of the car but the criteria for this is different to DLA.

There's lots of advice on the internet all about PIP, the descriptors and what they mean. Having some knowledge most certainly helps.
    • Kimberley1234
    • By Kimberley1234 26th Jun 18, 7:43 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kimberley1234
    I am not really that worried i am more what will be will be sort it out after. Probably the pain killers i take make me more relaxed.
    I have enough evidence to prove why i cant stand or walk with out pain and have sent it to them.

I was happy with the award my son gets he can walk but needs constant supervision and he sleeps through the once asleep. Thats why its middle rate.

I went to the assessment thought it went well but started to wonder why i was only asked to example why i cant do certain things.
    I just wanted to know other people experiences and i didnt know you can get points from using a aid.

I think i will use a few days to read up properly i have only experience pip through other people talking about it.
    • Kimberley1234
    • By Kimberley1234 5th Jul 18, 12:15 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kimberley1234
    Another update still no report yet or decision yet.

how long should it take for the report to arrive or should I ring them again.
    Kim
    • Kimberley1234
    • By Kimberley1234 6th Jul 18, 6:40 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kimberley1234
    I decided to ring them this morning and apparently the report has to be approved before they can send a copy. So they havent sent it yet and i was told its still in a pile to be looked at and that it will at least the end of july before i hear any thing.

Kim
    • Kimberley1234
    • By Kimberley1234 19th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kimberley1234
    Hi i got my report and think i was scored 16 on mobility and 12 care. What are the chances a award if i get one will same the same points or well it be knocked down.

Any advice
    Kim
    • Ames
    • By Ames 19th Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 30,945 Thanks
    Ames
    They usually go with what the healthcare professional recommends. Nobody can say for sure, but it's encouraging.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,160Posts Today

7,751Users online

Martin's Twitter