Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oligopoly
    • By oligopoly 14th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 292Posts
    • 74Thanks
    oligopoly
    Orchid
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    Orchid 14th Apr 18 at 8:00 PM
    Hi. I don't seem to have much luck with these beautiful plants.

My oldest one turned a bit poorly and someone suggested I cut the stems right back to stumps which I did. This must be a couple of years ago now. It hasn't grown back since although, surprising to me, the leaves are still nice and green (and I think they may have grown bigger). Will these stumps ever grow back or should I just admit defeat??

Here are two photos:

Increasingly money-conscious
Page 1
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 15th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    It looks like it could do with the dead roots trimmed and repotting in an orchid mix.

Orchids also need fertilizer to flower. I find mine do best on a west facing window-sill, out of cold draughts. Mist them often from May to to Oct.

There's many orchid care videos on YouTube
    • JulieM
    • By JulieM 15th Apr 18, 6:01 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    JulieM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:01 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:01 PM
    It's unlikely that the stumps will grow back but a new shoot should eventually appear at the base of the leaves. From my experience, they don't flower at the same time each year, so a new shoot could appear any time.

As Debbie says, it might help to repot, you could also try moving it to a different spot, this sometimes shocks the plant into putting out a new shoot.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 15th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 24,115 Posts
    • 95,082 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    FIL is a bit of an orchid fan. He reckons that every one that you bring home from the supermarket is already so stressed and damaged from the transport and storage that not dying immediately after purchase is a miracle, especially as most people's first thought is to get them flowering again when they were cossetted into producing the ones they were sold with.

You've got nothing to lose by repotting it and then leaving it alone other than occasional watering when it's dry (and draining thoroughly) - he describes it as more like looking after cacti than anything else, as although many come from rainforest situations, they don't actually get much in the way of water due to the other plants.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • madjackslam
    • By madjackslam 16th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    madjackslam
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    That looks pretty healthy to me. As others have said, I'd be tempted to repot. But keep those lovely plump roots at the top out in the light and air. Regular feeding, from now until the autumn, seemed to encourage my orchids to flower.
    • oligopoly
    • By oligopoly 16th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    oligopoly
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    Thanks everyone. I've covered the lower roots in compost and have put it outside overnight just to let it get some sun and air. Will bring it in tonight and move it to west-facing window and see how it goes!
    Increasingly money-conscious
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 31,902 Posts
    • 19,123 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    We got a mini one from Waitrose around Xmas reduced to 99p still got the same flowers and looking healthy.
    if we remember it gets a soak/drain
    Very shaded south window in the kitchen.

Another from M&S a bit bigger and 1.50 has decide to shed its flowers , got a new leaf and the flower stems have 3 growing tips, it was at the other end of the window, trimmed the stems back to leave the growing tips and moved to a cool north facing window that gets a lot of light and late sun(!).

No idea a what I am doing yet but I think the later could do with something, a repot or feed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter