Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 14th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,789Posts
    • 907Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    Is there a maximum number of addresses that a single email can be sent to?
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    Is there a maximum number of addresses that a single email can be sent to? 14th Apr 18 at 7:57 PM
    A friend of mine runs a walking group where there are about a hundred members, some of them do not get the monthly email, I always get mine.

Is there a maximum number of addresses to which one email can be sent?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 11,458 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    Yes there are limits, depends on the email client/service being used. The limit is usually based on emails sent in a given period, eg, 100 emails per day etc.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    There is (theoretically) no upper limit to how many people you can feed into the BCC field, however in reality as above the limits of the provider will be key here.

Gmail has a limit of 500 recipients per mail (or 100 if you use a client ie Thunderbird or something like that), Yahoo, like most Yahoo Mail things, varies depending on the age of your account - older accounts could send 100 per mail, newer accounts about 50. Outlook/Hotmail 300 messages a day and 100 recipients per mail.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 14th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 10,250 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    The various RFCs (821,, 2821, 5321) that define SMTP do not specify a limit on the number of RCPT commands that can be issued in a single SMTP envelope, so there is no theoretical limit imposed by the protocol that is used when email transits the Internet.

As advised by previous responses, individual mail providers may impose limits by their own policy, but there is no standard for these. The sender would have to ask their mail provider.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 15th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 5,918 Posts
    • 11,337 Thanks
    dealer wins
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    Maybe consider getting a paid for email service/domain. They are cheap?
    Choose life
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 15th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    A friend of mine runs a walking group where there are about a hundred members, some of them do not get the monthly email, I always get mine.

Is there a maximum number of addresses to which one email can be sent?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot
    Originally posted by Fortyfoot
    Get them to use :

MailChimp (Free service for up to 2,000 subscribers and 12,000 emails per month)

https://mailchimp.com/
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 15th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    Or host the group on Facebook or Mobilize or Google+ or similar so you don't need to email at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,031Posts Today

8,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin