Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SapphireSparkle
    • By SapphireSparkle 14th Apr 18, 6:59 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SapphireSparkle
    Removing a Person from Title Deed
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:59 PM
    Removing a Person from Title Deed 14th Apr 18 at 6:59 PM
    I am paying off my mortgage this coming week. I am seeing a solicitor to remove (amicably) by partner from the title deeds to leave me as sole owner of the property. Any ideas how long this may take for this to be changed on the land registry?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 45,314 Posts
    • 54,311 Thanks
    G_M
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    Why see a solicitor? Assuming the ex is in agreement it's straight -forward:

1) Ask lender for a redemption statement
    2) Send the lender the amount required
    3) wait for lender to remove their Charge from the property Title and confirm to you that the mortgage is paid off (and Charge removed).
    4) Send the Land Registry forms AP1, TR1 & ID1, signed by you and your ex, transferring the Title into your name.

Timing?

* Depends how quick/efficient the mortgage lender is

* Depends on the backlog/timescales at the LR

See

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registered-titles-whole-transfer-tr1
    • SapphireSparkle
    • By SapphireSparkle 14th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SapphireSparkle
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    Thank you. I have asked the lender for the redemption certificate and have the details to make the transfer. So then it'll be onto the next steps you have listed.

In answer to the question about why I'm asking about timescale. Its been a rough few months and just want it all sorted out now. Just wanted to know if this was going to be a long drawn out process or something that could go through quite quickly for my own sanity!
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    • 8,490 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    Legally, it happens whenever you get it signed up. How long the Land Registry take to process it isn't really relevant.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 14th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    • 59,777 Posts
    • 53,119 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    Any ideas how long this may take for this to be changed on the land registry?
    Originally posted by SapphireSparkle
    Is there a particular reason that you wish to see their name
    be eradicated from view in public records?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 14th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 2,423 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    For a simple transfer of whole of registered title, which in essence this is once the charge (and any any corresponding restrictions) have been removed, the Land Registry seem to be taking around 5 working days at the moment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,838Posts Today

8,463Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin