Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 7firearcade
    • By 7firearcade 14th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    7firearcade
    Windows in extension
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    Windows in extension 14th Apr 18 at 6:48 PM
    Our neighbours are building a side extension and the window placement doesn't seem right to me. We have only just moved in and the party wall agreement was agreed by the previous owners so I don't know what it said.

They have installed velux windows at about a 45 degree angle, so we can see directly into their living room from our bedroom, and vice versa. Anyone know anything about planning law?!
Page 1
    • z1a
    • By z1a 14th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    z1a
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    I thought that side windows need to be obscure glass.
    • 7firearcade
    • By 7firearcade 14th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    7firearcade
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    I'm not sure whether they qualify as side windows or not - they are in the extension roof but at a roughly 40-45 degree angle
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 14th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 26,102 Posts
    • 70,507 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    You're overlooking them, presumably when you go to your window. It doesn't sound like they're going to be staring at you in bed; that sounds impossible. The privacy issue is that of their privacy.

You might want to point out that you can see straight in, just in case they fancy any bedroom olympics in the lounge. . They might want to obscure the glass with film.

The party wall agreement has absolutely nothing to do with their window placement. It's a bit of bad design, not really picked up by the planning system as the rules on Velux windows account more for them being on top floors. There might be some places where they need to start 1.7m above floor level to avoid overlooking the neighbours, but there isn't huge thought given to neighbours overlooking Velux.

The rule on new side windows is actually obscure glass OR 1.7m above head heigh. It will meet that requirement!

You have the 45 degree angle rule from the centre of the neighbours' windows, but it may well meet that too.

A word, I think, about their own privacy.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 14-04-2018 at 7:14 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ic
    • By ic 15th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    • 2,614 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    ic
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    Perhaps when the work is finished they'll fit blinds and close them at night (remote models are available). Or perhaps they like to be overlooked?
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 15th Apr 18, 7:08 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:08 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:08 PM
    Our next door neighbour has a single velux on his side extension that I can see into if I look out of my bedroom. Their view is no different from somebody standing on the ground looking up. if the neighbours are concerned they'll get blinds but it has no impact on you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

2,864Users online

Martin's Twitter