Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bdog922
    • By bdog922 14th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bdog922
    Unable to open a bank account - Please help
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    Unable to open a bank account - Please help 14th Apr 18 at 6:07 PM
    Hello guys unsure if this is the wrong thread but here it goes...

In 2014 I was convicted of fraud and was handed a suspended sentence and maximum community service, not only that but I was handed a 9,000 fine. I havent paid the fine but have a payment plan set up now.

In early 2017 had a serious mental break down and ended up sectioned for stress and was diagnosed Bipolar - In september I felt it was time to get away as I had a thriving online business and was able to work anywhere in the world and earn money - Things were going great... Until LLOYDS bank closed me down NOV 2017 - I can not even go into how stressful it has been. - since then I have been living off western union, been suffering from nothing but stress and mania. I had to come home a few weeks ago and since then I have been re-admitted to my local hospital and under supervision of the mental health team again.

I have tried everything. My credit is not bad, its not great, but experian say my credit score isn't bad enough to open a simple current account.

What am I doing wrong please advise?? I have had enough seriously I'm drained. My health has to come first now and I've stopped panicing as much thanks to meds.

P.s sorry if this is in the wrong thread...
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 15,917 Posts
    • 14,992 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    If you have a conviction for fraud, you most likely have a CIFAS marker on your credit file, which may be stopping you from getting a bank account.

Search for a basic bank account, no credit check is made with those accounts as no borrowing is allowed, most banks do them, although they are not readily advertised.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • John-K
    • By John-K 14th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    John-K
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    You!!!8217;re using the wrong tense, it is not what you are doing wrong now, it is what you did wrong. Banks do not want to deal with people convicted of fraud. The only way in is for you to get an account which they cannot turn you down for, and even then they may try to frustrate you. No-one wants to do business with someone who feels that they have the right to cheat them out of money.

Open the basic bank account, and never again commit major crime, and time will be the great healer.
    • Richey_
    • By Richey_ 15th Apr 18, 9:05 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    Richey_
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:05 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:05 AM
    Just out of interest how legal was your business that Lloyds shut down?
    Just seems weird so many years after your conviction Lloyds got spooked, just wondering if this was fully legit? Have Lloyds placed a CIFAS marker on you for shutting down your bank account?
    Please say if I am wrong, it just sounds suspicious how easily you were making money all around the world, with your criminal history. What was Lloyds reason?
    Have you checked your credit reports to see if you have a CIFAS marker on them?
    • John-K
    • By John-K 15th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    John-K
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    What do you mean living off Western Union?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 33,157 Posts
    • 20,880 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    What about Monzo, Starling ?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 15th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 13,128 Posts
    • 10,190 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    There are a couple of ideas at the end of this article

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts

also this

https://www.thinkmoney.co.uk/account/

You will be paying a monthly fee though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,869Posts Today

7,645Users online

Martin's Twitter