Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nikki2009
    • By Nikki2009 14th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Nikki2009
    Intentionally homeless
    • 14th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    Intentionally homeless 14th Apr 18 at 4:49 PM
    I have to go the council on monday .. i have 3 kids and have split up with my partner , we was renting privately And after speaking to the landlord he cannot accept housing benefit tenants due to his mortgage company! So my ex is staying on as we were still contracted and i am having to move back with my dad into a bungalow and my mom also has a terminal illness so cant really stand alot of noise. I would not of wanted to stay in the house anyway as the relationship came quite toxic! So im back to square one living in a living room out of bags but after reading up im afraid the council may deem me intentionally homeless and wouldnt know what to do after that

Any advice appreciated
    Thank you
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 14th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 11,737 Posts
    • 13,614 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    It is possible that they will find you intentionally homeless as in theory you have a contract for your rented property (I am presuming that you are a joint tenant)
    The council may expect you to go back to the property and your ex partner to move out, particularly since you have children.
    Depending on the length of your tenancy (fixed term/periodic?) the landlord would then have to issue you with a section 21 to gain possession.

You say the relationship was toxic? Would you mind being more specific? Was there domestic violence - physical/emotional/financial?
    This may be a reason for the council to find that you have not made yourself intentionally homeless.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 14th Apr 18, 5:04 PM
    • 6,318 Posts
    • 13,452 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:04 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:04 PM
    Your land lord would never have known you were claiming HB.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 14th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 11,737 Posts
    • 13,614 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    Are you working?

Is there any way you can find private accommodation?

Even if the council do accept your claim they may only offer you temporary accommodation in a B&B/similar.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 14th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 17,429 Posts
    • 30,687 Thanks
    Ames
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    Even if the council can't home you they should be able to give you a list of landlords who do accept tenants on benefits.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Nikki2009
    • By Nikki2009 14th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nikki2009
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    Thank you for your reply!

I wasnt made as a tenant on the letting form as i wasnt working at the time so my partner was the only one named although they knew i was going to be living there .

There was emotional and verbally abusive although i have no proof of this.

I wouldnt of been able to find the rent for the property anyway even with benefits help as my partner was on good money and was able to afford a nice house
    • Nikki2009
    • By Nikki2009 14th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nikki2009
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    I was working and now on maternity leave but wont be able to go back now due to childcare (i used to do nights ) but will look for another job although it will take me a while to save.. i have temporary accomadation for now as i said my dad has let us stay but its not ideal
    • Nikki2009
    • By Nikki2009 14th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nikki2009
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    In my district when i claimed housing benefit before the council actually used to get in touch with landlord and even if they dont as i approached the landlord first he would now know
    • venison
    • By venison 14th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    venison
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    Worth a read.

http://m.england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice
    Former Board Guide
    • LocoLoco
    • By LocoLoco 14th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    LocoLoco
    It might be worth contacting Women's Aid as well for some advice on help with housing if you have to leave a home due to domestic abuse:

https://www.womensaid.org.uk/

Different councils have different policies but the more information you have before you speak to them the better, I think.
    • Nikki2009
    • By Nikki2009 14th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nikki2009
    Thank you for this i will be contacting them aswell i need all the help i can get
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,859Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin