Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AnnieP6
    • By AnnieP6 14th Apr 18, 3:10 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 1Thanks
    AnnieP6
    Skywire TV
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:10 PM
    Skywire TV 14th Apr 18 at 3:10 PM
    On the freepostcodelottery.com page, there is an advert for Skywire TV. Does anyone know anything about this, please? It is clearly a US company but says it works in the UK.
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    • 3,194 Posts
    • 1,655 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    It just appears to be an internal aerial, whether it works or not depends on the signal strength you already get. If it's a poor signal then the odds are greatly in favour of this not helping at all as you need an external or at least a loft aerial for poor reception.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 14th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    Pretty sure it is another variation on the TV Fox Antenna, see this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5676501
    • zucccchini
    • By zucccchini 15th Apr 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    zucccchini
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:36 PM
    No returns-no contact after purchase.
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:36 PM
    Buyer beware here. I wasn't sure if I could get any channels on my tv with an indoor antenna. I chose to purchase an over priced piece of plastic and wire from SKYWIRE ($40.00) to, indeed, find out, NO, I cannot get channels where I am, the house I am in. Would it work under normal circumstance...perhaps. I have used indoor antennas many times before but NOT in this location. Sad part is, this particular business, SKYWIRE, does not only NOT make returns, they are incognito once your purchase is complete. NO contact whatsoever. And no phone. BUYER BEWARE HERE.
    • orrery
    • By orrery 10th May 18, 4:24 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    orrery
    • 10th May 18, 4:24 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:24 PM
    On the freepostcodelottery.com page, there is an advert for Skywire TV. Does anyone know anything about this, please? It is clearly a US company but says it works in the UK.
    Originally posted by AnnieP6
    Looking at it, I'd guess it works as well in the UK as it does in the US. i.e. about as well as hanging a random piece of wire on your aerial socket will achieve - very little.

If you have very little signal, then an outdoor aerial is about the only answer. Or get a FreeSat box and a dish.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control
    • jpatquercus
    • By jpatquercus 1st Jun 18, 8:51 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jpatquercus
    • 1st Jun 18, 8:51 AM
    Forget it.
    • 1st Jun 18, 8:51 AM
    My experience was very similar to previous reports. The aerial took over two weeks to arrive and, despite following instructions to the letter in two completely different locations, it failed to pick up a single channel. I did get a response from 'Customer Service' - Tanya - who inforrmed me that, unless the unit was defective, no refund would be due. Given that the return address was NY, USA, I decided that I would not throw good money after bad by sending it back - so I have written it off to experience.

However, I have opened a dispute via PayPal.

Incidentally, the seemingly exact same device can be bought on Amazon - and if it doesn't work for you, your money is sure to be returned.
    • jpatquercus
    • By jpatquercus 1st Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jpatquercus
    • 1st Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    Refund!
    • 1st Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    Further to my previous comment, I sent a message saying that I was seeking a dispute resolution through PayPal and they immediately agreed to a full refund.
    Hope this information is useful.
    • TekPete
    • By TekPete 16th Jun 18, 11:08 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TekPete
    • 16th Jun 18, 11:08 AM
    • 16th Jun 18, 11:08 AM
    Seems to me it's a FreeView Box with it's own aerial (unless someone can tell me different). If you already have a roof aerial you'd probably be better off buying any FreeView Box that has a coax socket fitted or you could get an aerial rigger to fit an aerial - I don't think they charge too much.

I'm sure this SkyView Box will work fine in certain situations as long as the aerial is correctly positioned.
    • MJK123
    • By MJK123 19th Jun 18, 3:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MJK123
    • 19th Jun 18, 3:26 PM
    False Claims
    • 19th Jun 18, 3:26 PM
    The Ad I saw seems to insinuate that the channels you see on cable TV are now available over the air.
    This is just not true.

The best reception you will ever get over the air with any antenna are ABC NBC CBS PBS CW Fox MyTv and their sub channels. If you live close to more than one major city you may get some overlap adding to the claim of hundreds of channels. In reality there are about 21 channels available give or take a few depending on where you live.

Just about any antenna will get you reception of these channels. If you live in an area of poor reception then an outdoor antenna will be necessary .

But bottom line is you can't receive over the air what doesn't exist.

Cable channels do not come in over the air.

I hate that these rip off artist are allowed to do false advertising.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 19th Jun 18, 4:31 PM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    The best reception you will ever get over the air with any antenna are ABC NBC CBS PBS CW Fox MyTv and their sub channels.
    Originally posted by MJK123
    Wrong country, this is a UK based forum.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 19th Jun 18, 5:08 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Roger1
    Wrong country, this is a UK based forum.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Perhaps so, but I saw the ad when reading the online version of the Daily Telegraph.

I don't know how it got there, but the Telegraph is clearly a UK website.

I clicked and got the message that MJK123 reported. Clearly a US offer and irrelevant to UK viewers.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 19th Jun 18, 5:13 PM
    • 3,194 Posts
    • 1,655 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Perhaps so, but I saw the ad when reading the online version of the Daily Telegraph.

I don't know how it got there, but the Telegraph is clearly a UK website.

I clicked and got the message that MJK123 reported. Clearly a US offer and irrelevant to UK viewers.
    Originally posted by Roger1
    Clearly not...

Originally posted by AnnieP6
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 19th Jun 18, 10:20 PM
    • 22,620 Posts
    • 12,157 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It works in UK just as well as a coat-hanger!

Don't waste any money or time with this!
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 20th Jun 18, 8:38 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Roger1
    Clearly not...
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I don't understand your comment.
    • orrery
    • By orrery 20th Jun 18, 3:55 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    orrery
    I don't understand your comment.
    Originally posted by Roger1

I think he means that, when you said it was "irrelevant to UK viewers", it was that the advert being quoted was on a UK site and said it would work in the UK.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 21st Jun 18, 9:24 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Roger1
    I think he means that, when you said it was "irrelevant to UK viewers", it was that the advert being quoted was on a UK site and said it would work in the UK.
    Originally posted by orrery
    Yes, that was my experience, too, seeing the ad in the UK when reading the UK Daily Telegraph online.

CBS, NBC, ABC etc are not available over the air in the UK, which is why the ad is irrelevant to UK viewers.

Of course, the Telegraph probably did not realise that their website was being used for such a misleading offer. AIUI ads are placed by the likes of Google.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

437Posts Today

3,602Users online

Martin's Twitter