Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • howticklediam
    • By howticklediam 14th Apr 18, 2:54 PM
    • 329Posts
    • 67Thanks
    howticklediam
    Used car description does not match V5
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:54 PM
    Used car description does not match V5 14th Apr 18 at 2:54 PM
    We have just been to look at a used car which was listed as a Galaxy Titanuim X. The V5 says it is a Titanuim X. But the trim actually matches a plain Titanium, i.e no leather seats, no sunroof, no electric tail lift etc. It has the correct wheels for the Titanuim X though.

The garage owner was very open about it and pointed it out to us that is actually Titanium despite what the V5 says.

But how could it be shown on the V5 as a different car, and how will it affect insurance? It comes up as a Titanuim X on insurance websites so presumably we'll pay more and if it is a different spec from what it is listed as, it could invalidate our insurance.

Thanks for any guidance on this, we like the car but smells a bit fishy.
Page 2
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 15th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    • 7,206 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    Herzlos
    I thought incorrect v5's we're pretty common, so it's most likely just a DVLA input error.
    Telling your insurer "the v5 says it's an x but it's not" should be enough.
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 15th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    davidwood681
    If you're really thinking about buying it get a cheap bluetooth ODBII reader, get Torque or Forscan on your mobile phone, plug the reader into the OBDII port and use the app to get the VIN number rather than trusting the tag on the dashboard or what is on the paperwork or what you're told. At least then you'll know whether it is the right car or not.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    If I was selling a car there's not a chance in hell I'd let some know nothing punter start messing about by plugging in
    • prowla
    • By prowla 15th Apr 18, 11:59 AM
    • 9,744 Posts
    • 7,801 Thanks
    prowla
    If the VIN matches the V5 and there is a full MOT history, then that should mean the vehicle is correct.

As to the trim level, it could well be a mistake and it'sup to the OP whether it's a deal-breaker.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Apr 18, 2:47 PM
    • 26,934 Posts
    • 10,837 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Not always, someone asked me to check a vehicle recently and it had ben messed around with quite a bit.

Sold some of the high spec standard kit and replaced with items from a lower spec model.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Apr 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Not always, someone asked me to check a vehicle recently and it had ben messed around with quite a bit.

Sold some of the high spec standard kit and replaced with items from a lower spec model.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Yes could be that one of the previous keepers has sold the leather seats and replaced them with cloth from a breaker's
    • facade
    • By facade 15th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    facade
    Or it could be that the "leather" was in fact "crack-o-matic" plastic, and it is cheaper to replace all the seats with far superior cloth from a breaker than buy a new seat.
    My Renault Nee-San "Leather" seats are 800 each, and no trimmer worthy of the name will repair them.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • david a
    • By david a 15th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    david a
    Many years ago I had a Cavalier.

Under fuel type it said steam.

In its defence it did go like a train!
    • howticklediam
    • By howticklediam 16th Apr 18, 1:33 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    howticklediam
    Just registered with ETIS and it checks out. It has a lot of things not on the spec so almost not worth having the "X" trim. It's more like a standard Titanium, but only one insurance group higher so not a major difference. Good to know that car is OK, but whoever chose the options might as well have chosen the standard. Very confusing from Ford.

Less Roof Line Conversion
    Less Rear Mudflaps
    Less Cargo Stowage Device
    Less Interior Pack
    Less Front Mudflaps
    With Standard Liftgate
    Less Special Front Seat Covers
    Less Special Rear Seat Covers
    Last edited by howticklediam; 16-04-2018 at 1:38 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,212Posts Today

7,539Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin