Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • howticklediam
    • By howticklediam 14th Apr 18, 2:54 PM
    • 329Posts
    • 67Thanks
    howticklediam
    Used car description does not match V5
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:54 PM
    Used car description does not match V5 14th Apr 18 at 2:54 PM
    We have just been to look at a used car which was listed as a Galaxy Titanuim X. The V5 says it is a Titanuim X. But the trim actually matches a plain Titanium, i.e no leather seats, no sunroof, no electric tail lift etc. It has the correct wheels for the Titanuim X though.

The garage owner was very open about it and pointed it out to us that is actually Titanium despite what the V5 says.

But how could it be shown on the V5 as a different car, and how will it affect insurance? It comes up as a Titanuim X on insurance websites so presumably we'll pay more and if it is a different spec from what it is listed as, it could invalidate our insurance.

Thanks for any guidance on this, we like the car but smells a bit fishy.
Page 1
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 14th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 2,134 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    Walk away

But that is too short so here is some rubbish
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 14th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    Agreed with Nodding, walk away, if it smells like a fish etc
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 14th Apr 18, 3:35 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:35 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:35 PM
    The biggest risk would be that the car you're looking at isn't really the one listed on the V5, but a ringer.

I'n not saying it is, but in that position, I would be looking really closely at all the VIN markings and the engine number.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 14th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 11,239 Posts
    • 6,442 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    We have just been to look at a used car which was listed as a Galaxy Titanuim X. The V5 says it is a Titanuim X. But the trim actually matches a plain Titanium, i.e no leather seats, no sunroof, no electric tail lift etc. It has the correct wheels for the Titanuim X though.

The garage owner was very open about it and pointed it out to us that is actually Titanium despite what the V5 says.

But how could it be shown on the V5 as a different car, and how will it affect insurance? It comes up as a Titanuim X on insurance websites so presumably we'll pay more and if it is a different spec from what it is listed as, it could invalidate our insurance.

Originally posted by howticklediam
    When you put the registration into a site like say cazana or even eurocarparts, what does the description show?
    I'm semi certain my V5 just shows the base name of the car and not the trim level.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 14th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • 14th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    .....walk away.....
    "We only have one world, But we live in different worlds"- Mark Knopfler Brothers in arms, Miss you gramps.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 14th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    • 3,665 Posts
    • 4,243 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 14th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    If you can get hold of the VIN number then I'd suggest looking on the Ford ETIS system which will tell you the spec that it came out of the factory with.

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 14th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 14th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    I'm semi certain my V5 just shows the base name of the car and not the trim level.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    I've just has a look at the V5's for my 2 cars. Both list the specific model and spec level. So the Freelander is listed as a "FREELANDER TD4 ES".
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • howticklediam
    • By howticklediam 14th Apr 18, 4:57 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    howticklediam
    • 14th Apr 18, 4:57 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 4:57 PM
    Phoned the guy to check the VIN and it matches and an Experian check shows the same VIN. Also looked at online sales and there are few listed as "X" but without the sunroof so maybe just a quirk of Ford that it's not such a clear distinction between Titanium and Titanium X when you customise the options. I'm happy to proceed now, so thanks for all the help.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 14th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    • 11,239 Posts
    • 6,442 Thanks
    DUTR
    I've just has a look at the V5's for my 2 cars. Both list the specific model and spec level. So the Freelander is listed as a "FREELANDER TD4 ES".
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    My bad....I just checked mine and as you say it does show the model etc.
    So yep, OP should continue searching rather than waste time battling with the seller and leave it for someone else to worry about.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 14th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    markudman
    Take a walk away from it, this will only be the start of your problems, If you cannot walk away check it on the Gov website https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
    check the mileage, and MOT history https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
    if it due.
    Also service history, and make sure it matches the mileage,
    is easier to clock a car less that 3 years old, due to no MOT history
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 16,439 Posts
    • 9,696 Thanks
    motorguy

Its not terribly unusual for mistakes to happen.

I'd a brand new 535d BMW that according to the V5C was green when it was actually silver. Had to get that changed.

Not impossible for the trim level to have been recorded wrongly.

In theory you could get the DVA to change it - cant see why they wouldnt.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 14th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 13,492 Posts
    • 8,570 Thanks
    arcon5
    All these walk away comments are massively melodramatic!!

Everything seems to Match up legit ie vin. So if you like the car, happy with insurance price then no reason to not take it as it is.

Nothing suggests your being robbed blind here
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 14th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    As Johno100 says, check etis. It gives the definitive answer to what that VIN should be.
    • howticklediam
    • By howticklediam 14th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    howticklediam
    Thanks for the replies again. MOT checks out, https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ checks out. ETIS doesn't help much because it says S-Max/Galaxy, but has the colour and engine spec correct so altogether looks OK.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 18,331 Posts
    • 12,511 Thanks
    molerat
    If you can get hold of the VIN number then I'd suggest looking on the Ford ETIS system which will tell you the spec that it came out of the factory with.

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do
    Originally posted by Johno100
    Not any more. Just gives basic model, engine size and colour.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 14th Apr 18, 8:15 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Originally posted by molerat
    When did they change that? Gave the full build spec for our Mundano a few months back - probably October or so (don't have the VIN to hand to check again)
    • markudman
    • By markudman 14th Apr 18, 8:25 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    markudman
    Thanks for the replies again. MOT checks out, https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ checks out. ETIS doesn't help much because it says S-Max/Galaxy, but has the colour and engine spec correct so altogether looks OK.
    I hope this has helped and you have found your happy.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Apr 18, 11:13 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 1,916 Thanks
    Tarambor
    If you're really thinking about buying it get a cheap bluetooth ODBII reader, get Torque or Forscan on your mobile phone, plug the reader into the OBDII port and use the app to get the VIN number rather than trusting the tag on the dashboard or what is on the paperwork or what you're told. At least then you'll know whether it is the right car or not.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 14th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Originally posted by molerat
    When did they change that? Gave the full build spec for our Mundano a few months back - probably October or so (don't have the VIN to hand to check again)
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    Without an account, ETIS will only give the model, engine and colour, as well as outstanding recalls (Field service actions).
    If you create a (free) account (register as an IO) you get the full build, as well as stuff useful for doing your own servicing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,350Posts Today

6,471Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Kirsty_M_N: KFC Take off the disgusting skin & coating and eat the chicken with salad (lettuce) I presume they'll have. https://t.co/YF?

• OK. Im taking a break from discussing today's poll to go for a run (i'll need it with all those calories to come!)

• There's always one! Dave. You can't have Nando's. You've been shipwrecked. The choice is what it is. This real l? https://t.co/rBadHIHM0e

• Follow Martin