Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sam160612
    • By Sam160612 14th Apr 18, 2:47 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Sam160612
    Floodlight wiring
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:47 PM
    Floodlight wiring 14th Apr 18 at 2:47 PM
    Hi Iím new to this website, I have a 10W floodlight and have connected it to a waterproof junction box, I want to put the floodlight near the front door, the garage is also near and has a double socket in the garage. So my plan is to fit the light near the door and feed the cable through the garage (thereís wood around the garage so I would drill a small hole so the wire can fit through the wood) then I would put a plug on the cable and connect it to the double socket. From the light to the garage door is about 6ft then from there to the socket it about 10ft.
    Please tell me if this is a good idea, there would be about 3-4 foot of cable outside going from the light to the garage. I think the cable would be safe as I have done this before and nothing bad happened , but I just want to confirm if itís alright doing this. Thanks
Page 1
    • adonis
    • By adonis 14th Apr 18, 2:58 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    adonis
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:58 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:58 PM
    As a non electrician I have done this but run the cable in plastic conduit to protect it and fit a 3 amp fuse in the plug.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 14th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    I'm not an electrician either, but have also done this - 14 years on and it's still working, no-one's died, but not sure it it actually meets regs!
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    • 6,965 Posts
    • 5,731 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    Remember to add a drip loop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=drip+loop+on+electrical+cable&tbm=isch&tb o=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiY0InvvLraAhWMaFAK HQS4Ab0QsAQIfA&biw=1280&bih=681
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

29Posts Today

3,619Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin