Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mladuk7
    • By mladuk7 14th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mladuk7
    2 different types of meters!!
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    2 different types of meters!! 14th Apr 18 at 2:43 PM
    My Gas meter is a credit meter, i recieve a bill every 3 months and pay it. My electricity is a prepay meter, both with british gas and both on their standard tarriff. So obviously im paying through the nose!!
    I'm finding it difficult to switch because the two meters are different, and british gas say they cannot change my electric meter to a credit meter because it is a relatively new account and do not know my history.
    Can i switch with MSE Switch Event or do i need to get my meter changed first??
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    You do not have to have both gas and electric with the same supplier - indeed the general consensus is that you shouldn't.

Use the comparison site to swop the gas first - you will need two actual readings 12 months apart - look at your bills and that will give you the kwh figure you need.

Get that sorted and then turn your attention the prepay gas.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 15th Apr 18, 7:43 AM
    • 3,019 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:43 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:43 AM
    BG are very picky about credit history when swapping PAYGO meters for Credit meters - So much so that the higher profit earned on PAYGO meters seems to to have a bearing.

EDF have a much more relaxed attitude, so a Switch to them could solve the problem, followed by Switches other suppliers for best prices
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 15th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    My Gas meter is a credit meter, i recieve a bill every 3 months and pay it. My electricity is a prepay meter, both with british gas and both on their standard tarriff. So obviously im paying through the nose!!
    I'm finding it difficult to switch because the two meters are different, and british gas say they cannot change my electric meter to a credit meter because it is a relatively new account and do not know my history.
    Can i switch with MSE Switch Event or do i need to get my meter changed first??
    Originally posted by mladuk7
    I'm finding it difficult as to why you are finding it difficult to switch.

Register here, and then take your pick
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

2,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin