Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maggiemoo55
    • By maggiemoo55 14th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    maggiemoo55
    Neighbour sabotaging sale
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    Neighbour sabotaging sale 14th Apr 18 at 1:06 PM
    Hi all
    I have lived here in a converted mansion for nearly 11 years at one end and the neighbour in question lives at the other end with 5 flats in between. The building is surrounded by a communal garden and drive. It is a leasehold property but we all own the lease and run our own management company of which we are all directors.
    Weve had our property on the market for nearly 12 months and had one offer but the buyer pulled out days before exchange of contracts. Incidentally the buyers solicitor is the same solicitor that my bad neighbour works for.
    Weve had about 10 viewings and 6 of them this neighbour has seen them off telling them that the place is falling to bits and in need of money spent on it.
    The neighbour is also part of the Management and has taken a dislike to me since I put the house on the market. She is determined to make my life hell. The other neighbours have fallen foul of her too but everyone is scared of her as she is very verbally aggressive. My health has suffered badly in that I have had 2 heart attacks and now cancer of which Im having treatment. I desperately want to move but dont have the funds to rent or buy until I sell this place.
    PLEASE HELP WHAT CAN I DO
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    Explain the problem to others who manage the property. Also explain you are not willing to speak to her due to a combination of your health problems and her verbal aggression.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • maggiemoo55
    • By maggiemoo55 14th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    maggiemoo55
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    I!!!8217;ve tried that. She is mentally unstable and now treats all of us as something she!!!8217;s trod on. I think it will have to be the legal route as we are all in the dark about how to handle her. I just need to know what to do and how to do it.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th Apr 18, 2:03 PM
    • 33,359 Posts
    • 28,236 Thanks
    custardy
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:03 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:03 PM
    Is there potential to drop the price before going legal?
    Make it a great deal someone will be keen to snap up.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 7,368 Posts
    • 7,428 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    If she doesn't like you then why is she trying to stop you from moving out?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th Apr 18, 2:35 PM
    • 6,132 Posts
    • 5,954 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:35 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:35 PM
    I think it will have to be the legal route as we are all in the dark about how to handle her. I just need to know what to do and how to do it.
    Originally posted by maggiemoo55
    I'm not sure what legal route you could take... perhaps make a harassment complaint I guess?

But, realistically, then you would have to declare to any buyer that you were taking action for harassment against their prospective neighbour, and their prospective joint-freeholder.

I suspect the buyer might run away fairly quickly.

FWIW, I occasionally have to deal with somebody who behaves in the way you describe (my theory is that it stems from a Narcissistic personality disorder). The way people get round her is by 'stroking her ego'... telling her how clever she is etc. She wants to be superior, so if people pretend that she is superior, she becomes relatively amiable.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    I!!!8217;ve tried that. She is mentally unstable and now treats all of us as something she!!!8217;s trod on. I think it will have to be the legal route as we are all in the dark about how to handle her. I just need to know what to do and how to do it.
    Originally posted by maggiemoo55
    Group action explaining her behaviour is unwelcome and disruptive and removing her from any management role may help although it does need to visibly be a group action rather than a few residents sticking their neck out while others hide behind them.
    She may be telling herself she's working for the greater good. Explaining her involvement is unwelcome may restrain her.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 14-04-2018 at 3:35 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Auntie-Dolly
    • By Auntie-Dolly 14th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 1,191 Thanks
    Auntie-Dolly
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    How is she getting access to your viewers?
    • waveneygnome
    • By waveneygnome 14th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    waveneygnome
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    Could you sell your flat/house at auction?
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 14th Apr 18, 11:03 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 3,642 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I'm sorry, I really don't trust any threads at the moment that come with a dramatic over-detailed story.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 15th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    m0bov
    Its half term! Well just finished.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

7,656Users online

Martin's Twitter