Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlanB1976
    • By AlanB1976 14th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AlanB1976
    Casual spending bank account
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    Casual spending bank account 14th Apr 18 at 1:03 PM
    Hi all

Can any of you recommend a bank account that may be best for casual spending (no mortgage payments, household debits, salary payments, etc.)?
    I find my main bank account gets flooded with all these small contactless payments and ebay/amazon type little purchases. This makes it a pain when I want to analyse my main account. What I would like to do is set up another account that I basically use as my "cash". I will just pay in what I usually spend in a month on contactless, etc. and use that. That way my main account stays relatively simple and also reduces that which can be taken from me should my card get lost/stolen as there won't be any credit/overdraft.
    So, the question is, are there any accounts that give rewards or make that type of thing more simple? I know I could just open any debit account anywhere but I don't mind where this is and if I can benefit from it, great.

Thanks
    Alan
Page 1
    • MDMD
    • By MDMD 14th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    MDMD
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    TSB classic plus gives interest and cashback of up to 5 per month until December. I use mine for those small spends.

https://www.tsb.co.uk/current-accounts/classic-plus-account/
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 14th Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    18cc
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    If you have/use a smartphone then can't recommend Starling Bank highly enough...
    • AlanB1976
    • By AlanB1976 15th Apr 18, 7:40 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlanB1976
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:40 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:40 AM
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've got a joint account with my wife with TSB already. Shouldn't be any issues me opening a personal account as well.
    I wish I could use a smartphone. I've rooted my phone so android pay won't work due to security risk. Ironically, I rooted so I could add additional security.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 15th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    I very rarely have casual spends. I also have a few accounts. My Tesco account gives interest on up to 3000. I keep an extra 50 in there and use it for the odd coffee and cookie.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 15th Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    datlex
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    OP Coop do cashback https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/currentaccounts/currentaccount (expand the everyday rewards section) You have to pay in 800 a month. So you may have to pay the difference between your monthly spends and the 800 each month to meet the cashback criteria.

Also there is Barclays: https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/blue-rewards/
    • AlanB1976
    • By AlanB1976 15th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlanB1976
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    I wouldn't have close to that. Probably a couple hundred.
    • AlanB1976
    • By AlanB1976 15th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlanB1976
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions
    • socks_uk
    • By socks_uk 29th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 2,096 Thanks
    socks_uk
    • 29th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    • 29th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    I have a Tesco account for the exact same purpose. Very easy to transfer money to it from my Nationwide account and I can put cash in at my local Tesco Extra customer services desk (up to 8pm).
    Clubcard points when I spend on it too!
    Did you wonder where the photo was taken?
    Somewhere above the clouds over Germany on the way back from Prague August 2009!
    Hand typed by me!
    -x-
    • MDMD
    • By MDMD 29th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    MDMD
    TSB classic plus gives interest and cashback of up to 5 per month until December. I use mine for those small spends.

https://www.tsb.co.uk/current-accounts/classic-plus-account/
    Originally posted by MDMD
    Rowing back on this a little now given their recent problems getting into the account. Maybe wait until they have finished sorting problems if you are going to open a TSB account!
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 29th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    Neil49
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've got a joint account with my wife with TSB already. Shouldn't be any issues me opening a personal account as well.
    I wish I could use a smartphone. I've rooted my phone so android pay won't work due to security risk. Ironically, I rooted so I could add additional security.
    Originally posted by AlanB1976
    Monzo works on rooted phones (but not Android Pay so you would have to use their contact less card as usual).

I use Monzo for exactly the reason you want to. The app lists each transaction and also attempts to organise your spending into catagories. Transactions appear on your phone in about a second.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 29th Apr 18, 10:25 PM
    • 19,581 Posts
    • 45,377 Thanks
    peachyprice
    A second vote for Monzo here. I use it for my work expenses, I only use it with the debit card, it gives instant notification of spends and balance, none of this 'available balance' and 'actual balance' nonsense.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • AlanB1976
    • By AlanB1976 5th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlanB1976
    Monzo does sound good in terms of keeping track of spending, but that I would want more for my main account, not so much this account. This one I pretty much only want to track the bottom line (i.e. how much I'm spending over a week/month) and don't really care on where it's going (unless there is a major difference at some stage). Essentially it!!!8217;s just replacing the 100 cash I would withdraw every now and then. That said, it may provide useful information on how I am WASTING my money. But is that worth the few pounds I could get back using one of the cashback accounts for using the card?! I!!!8217;ll need to check into the cashbacks first to see if I would get anything (e.g. there won!!!8217;t be any debit orders, etc. going out so may not qualify).

Thanks for the recommendations.

Alan
    • No_6
    • By No_6 5th May 18, 10:30 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    No_6
    Why keep a extra 50 in a Tesco account over 3K when it earns no interest,
    get a Tesco credit card with ?? months at 0% for purchases
    and you still get points.
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 6th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    radoslaff
    Originally posted by No_6
    No you don't. You only get the points if you do the spending on your debit card.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    • The weedie
    • By The weedie 7th May 18, 11:31 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    The weedie
    I'm using this too, it's perfect for my needs.

If you have/use a smartphone then can't recommend Starling Bank highly enough...
    Originally posted by 18cc
    • HunterStone
    • By HunterStone 7th May 18, 5:13 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HunterStone
    Thanks for the replies.
    Originally posted by AlanB1976
    You don't need to illegitimately modify your device to increase security. Both Android and third parties can provide comprehensive security against threats without rooting.

You are actually being more counterproductive by rooting. Anything installed from an unverified source can contain arbitrary code intended to attack your device - even if the source is still performing what was intended.

Rightfully the finance industry have turned their back on owners of illegitimately modified devices. This poses a massive risk for the bank, in case someone manages to obtain access to your money (which they will have to reimburse) and massive risk for you and any personal data stored on the rooted device.
    • AlanB1976
    • By AlanB1976 7th May 18, 8:29 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlanB1976
    You don't have a clue what I've done so how can you say I could do the same security without rooting? And anyway this is not a discussion on the merits of rooting. I never said it was unjustified that the banks don't allow it. I'm fine with that. I just said I wished I could use it.
    • No_6
    • By No_6 7th May 18, 10:17 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    No_6
    Who need points on a C.Card when you can have 16 months or more at 0% interest on purchases.

Money sits in your account, earning interest , if you have the right one or one's !!
    keep your money until it is due, just set up minimum monthly payments.

Just booking 2019 holidays, at a really good price and have months and MONEY to pay for them
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 8th May 18, 6:53 AM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    Originally posted by No_6
    Because I want to?

I don't shop at Tesco or collect points.

I've a 27 months 0% purchases card with 18 months to go. I'm in the middle of buying a house and was advised to reduce my stoozing debt from 30k to under 10k, so I am not using my credit cards at all until the purchase has gone through.

The 50 is mostly accrued interest and it is useful to know its there for a spur of the minute purchase of a coffee or to treat a colleague to one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

621Posts Today

6,571Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin