Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • taka
    • By taka 14th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 3,184Posts
    • 16,665Thanks
    taka
    Veg prep and freezing question
    • 14th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    Veg prep and freezing question 14th Apr 18 at 12:29 PM
    Hi! My Dad needs to eat a lower potassium diet these days due to health problems. According to his dietician it means the majority of the veg he eats needs to be parboiled in lots of water (to release some of the potassium into the water) before then being cooked by what ever method the recipe dictates (eg roasted / boiled (in new water)/ fried or whatever!). It is mostly me trying to help him with this as mum passed away last year and my sibling isn't great with this type of support and Dad can't cook!

I've prepped and parboiled a bunch of assorted veg for soups, stews, veg curries etc and frozen them for future use. Would it then be ok to use this parboiled, frozen veg a few weeks later in soups / curries / stews etc and then freeze the (now fully cooked) meals too? We are vegetarian if that makes a difference.

It would be great if I could do that ! It would mean I could prep /parboil /freeze veg (at my home) whenever I have spare time, cook a family sized meal of his choosing using it at a later date (at his house) then sling a few portions in his freezer for days I'm not there AND get to spend more time with him on the days I visit (since less prep time needed then).

Thank you!
    MFiT-4 no 30

You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
Page 1
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 14th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 4,241 Posts
    • 9,322 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    Hello,

Yes it will be perfectly fine to do that.
    • taka
    • By taka 14th Apr 18, 10:12 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 16,665 Thanks
    taka
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:12 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:12 PM
    Thank you Linda32 - that is great!
    MFiT-4 no 30

You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,319Posts Today

7,209Users online

Martin's Twitter