Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Amara
    • By Amara 14th Apr 18, 10:58 AM
    • 1,978Posts
    • 7,299Thanks
    Amara
    Telephone interview for call centre job
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:58 AM
    Telephone interview for call centre job 14th Apr 18 at 10:58 AM
    Hi!
    I'm having a telephone interview for customer advisor job in the contact centre. What kind of questions can I expect? How to prepare myself? This most awful one: What can you offer to company? I've been running my own , small cleaning business for seven years.
    Tackle your debt, take a part in 1 debt vs 100 days challenge.
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 30
    0/500
    Gaining assets
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 14th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 6,348 Posts
    • 13,527 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    https://www.monster.co.uk/career-advice/article/what-are-the-most-common-job-interview-questions

With it being for a phone based job make sure your phone manner is tip top
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 14th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    If you have been running your own cleaning business for 7 years, you have quite a lot to offer them: you should make points about your reliability, your maturity, that you are used to having to work quickly but to a high standard, and that you have knowledge of running a business, complying with legislation and taxation rules, managing customer interactions (I wouldn't talk about any customer complaints unless you have a really successful story you can tell - any situation where you have been able to turnaround a customer complaint into a successful relationship and/or obtain referrals via the customer would be worth highlighting).

Good luck with the interview.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 14th Apr 18, 5:03 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    Les79
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:03 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:03 PM
    When I got interviewed for a call center (applied for a few) a few years ago, they generally asked basic competency questions. Things like "give an example of when you have provided good customer service" etc.

Depends on the type of call center you are applying for as well.. Some of them operate a bum on seat policy, whereby they'll be happy to pick up Mr/Ms A. Smackhead off the street.... They may just ask you questions designed to get you on the books rather than competency-based.
    • Amara
    • By Amara 14th Apr 18, 11:04 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 7,299 Thanks
    Amara
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:04 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:04 PM
    Thanks for your replies.
    Tacpot12, I've just realised how experienced I am Maybe it's my problem, I'm not able to demostrate my skills. I've got customers who stayed with me from very beginning of my business, so I have to do something right
    It's a vacancy for large bank, so , hopefully, it's competency test rather then something else.
    0/500
    Gaining assets
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 14th Apr 18, 11:48 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:48 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:48 PM
    As above, its pretty much all going to be competency based.

Basically you need to google "competency questions for telephone advisor" and write down lots of examples (they love asking you for examples) and have them in front of you for the phone call. Make them up if you want, they wont know. Just dont read them off word for word, add a few erms and hmms for effect.

Its pretty easy really, as long as you have done enough work before hand.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 15th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    You may also get asked about how you're going to transition from a position of running your own business to becoming what sounds like a small cog in a big machine - they may have concerns that you'll get fed up and leave very quickly. Worth having a think about how you'll answer this if it comes up...
    • Amara
    • By Amara 15th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 7,299 Thanks
    Amara
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    You may also get asked about how you're going to transition from a position of running your own business to becoming what sounds like a small cog in a big machine - they may have concerns that you'll get fed up and leave very quickly. Worth having a think about how you'll answer this if it comes up...
    Originally posted by Ja7188
    Good point. I enjoy running my business and , to be honest, I'm not entirely sure is it a right move for me. I've tried to grow it, but finding right staff is very hard. I want to figure out, what is the best for me.
    0/500
    Gaining assets
    • Woolco
    • By Woolco 15th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Woolco
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    Hi. I cant add much but good luck and I hope you get the job!
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 16th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 4,024 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    My experience of working in some call centres is that they often have such high turnover levels that they will take anyone capable of stringing a few words together.

The most important thing for the telephone interview is to show that you have a clear, calm and friendly voice. You can train people about what they say about the company's products and services but it's hard to deal with someone who mumbled, gets flustered or sounds like they don't care.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 16,777 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Hi!
    I'm having a telephone interview for customer advisor job in the contact centre. What kind of questions can I expect? How to prepare myself? This most awful one: What can you offer to company? I've been running my own , small cleaning business for seven years.
    Originally posted by Amara
    When I got interviewed for a call center (applied for a few) a few years ago, they generally asked basic competency questions. Things like "give an example of when you have provided good customer service" etc.

Depends on the type of call center you are applying for as well.. Some of them operate a bum on seat policy, whereby they'll be happy to pick up Mr/Ms A. Smackhead off the street.... They may just ask you questions designed to get you on the books rather than competency-based.
    Originally posted by Les79
    Good point Les - Amara, you might want to google for competency questions.

With these, you always need to think in terms of "STAR" or "STAR-L": S = Situation, Task, Actions, Result (, Lessons Learned) and phrase your answers to fit with these.

And it's a good idea to make notes to help you. The nice thing about a phone interview is that the interviewer can't see you referencing them so you can glance at them while you speak or while they're asking the question.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 17th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    It depends on the type of call centre and what they do. If it's outbound sales that's very different to an inbound council call centre for example.
    In all call centers it's obviously important to speak clearly. Speak with a smile! Be professional by not being too familiar with the person you speak to and don't use slang or street talk ( I know that sounds obvious but I've interviewed people who have said bro, man, innit etc! ) . Listening is really important. I'd have a notebook to hand as they might ask you questions based on something they read out.
    Good customer service obviously. How would you deal with an angry caller? what would you do if you didn't know the answer to a question or if someone with a speech difficulty was on the line. Think of answers in advance. Good luck!
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 17th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    I would avoid the use of the horrible word !!!8220;Obviously!!!8221; altogether.

When I hear it used by inbound agents I just want to cringe, sorry!

There is nothing obvious about anything.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Amara
    • By Amara 18th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 7,299 Thanks
    Amara
    I didn't get a job. I've received an email stating they won't be taking my application further. I've sent an email asking for a feedback, but it bounced back. Oh well. Just carry on looking. I thought I did well.
    0/500
    Gaining assets
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 19th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 8,857 Posts
    • 6,595 Thanks
    pmduk
    Just treat it as a learning experience and try again elsewhere. They probably didn't deserve you anyway!
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 19th Apr 18, 6:31 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Ja7188
    That's a shame - but onwards and upwards. If you want feedback, give the company a call and see if you get anywhere - the e-mail you got probably came from an automated system that doesn't accept incoming e-mails.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin