Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sallyanncustard
    • By sallyanncustard 14th Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    sallyanncustard
    What is mine and what is the landlord's?
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    What is mine and what is the landlord's? 14th Apr 18 at 10:37 AM
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me on something. Are the rules in an unfurnished rented property this simple?
    If it is fixed, like curtain rails and the shower - even though I purchased them - they now belong to the landlord.
    If it is not fixed, like the carpets and attic ladder - which I also purchased - I can take them with me?
    Looking forward to your replies, thanks

UPDATE: To all of you asking what was in the inventory, there wasn't one...as far as I can remember, and I am very good with paperwork and cannot find anything in my 'rent' folder.
    The house was an unpainted, bare-walled wreck, with no curtain rails, no carpeting, not even any lightbulbs! So, really, not much to put in an inventory anyway.
    Last edited by sallyanncustard; 15-04-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Page 1
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 14th Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    The first thing you need to do is read your tenancy agreement and see what it says about return of the property at the end of your tenancy.

It will probably say that you are required to return the property into the condition it was in at the beginning of the tenancy, except for reasonable wear and tear.

I think anything you installed belongs to you and can be removed - whether it is fixed or not. Hopefully an inventory was taken at the start of the tenancy showing was in the property at that time.

However, if removing those items causes damage to the property, you may have to pay for that damage.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 14th Apr 18, 10:54 AM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 11,306 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:54 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:54 AM
    If you bought it it!!!8217;s yours. Attaching it to someone else!!!8217;s property doesn!!!8217;t change ownership.

Just make sure that you fix any holes left by anything you put in and leave it as to find it plus reasonable wear and tear.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 43,778 Posts
    • 51,731 Thanks
    G_M
    • 14th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me on something. Are the rules in an unfurnished property this simple?
    No. Much simpler.
    If it is fixed, like curtain rails and the shower - even though I purchased them - they now belong to the landlord.
    No. You bought them they are yours (unless you choose to give or sell them to him).
    If it is not fixed, like the carpets and attic ladder - which I also purchased - I can take them with me?
    Yes of course.
    Looking forward to your replies, thanks
    Originally posted by sallyanncustard
    What is on the inventory you received, and signed, when you moved in? The LL owns all those things. You own everything else.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 14th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 9,442 Posts
    • 12,654 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    Oops! Got it rong ... again..!
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 14-04-2018 at 1:49 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 43,778 Posts
    • 51,731 Thanks
    G_M
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    artful - your link relates to a property purchase, and the related F&Fs.

The OP appears to be a tenant (AST?).

Different kettle of fish!
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 14th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    jackomdj
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    You bought it so it is yours. But you must return t to its previous state, so if there were curtain rails at the start there need to be curtain rails at the end, you could replace the originals (assuming you kept them) or replace with a similar fitting.

Same with carpets, were there any to start with?
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 14th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,079 Posts
    • 1,886 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    What was in the inventory when you moved in?
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 14th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    As people have said if it was bought by you its yours, I would say though if for example you replaced a curtain rail with a curtain pole, you need to return the curtain role.... The landlord may be happy if you leave the pole instead.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Apr 18, 10:19 PM
    • 43,778 Posts
    • 51,731 Thanks
    G_M
    Also relevant is any damage you may cause.

Efg if you put up curtain poles by drilling holes in the walls, those holes need to be made good when you leave.

Similarly, if while installing the shower you damaged tiles etc, then when you remove your shower, you need to make good the damage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,350Posts Today

6,471Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Kirsty_M_N: KFC Take off the disgusting skin & coating and eat the chicken with salad (lettuce) I presume they'll have. https://t.co/YF?

• OK. Im taking a break from discussing today's poll to go for a run (i'll need it with all those calories to come!)

• There's always one! Dave. You can't have Nando's. You've been shipwrecked. The choice is what it is. This real l? https://t.co/rBadHIHM0e

• Follow Martin