Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wifefaefife
    • By wifefaefife 14th Apr 18, 1:42 AM
    • 341Posts
    • 1,582Thanks
    wifefaefife
    House renovation -how much will it all cost?
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:42 AM
    House renovation -how much will it all cost? 14th Apr 18 at 1:42 AM
    Hi,

We are looking at a house ( 3 bed detached, east Scotland) but it needs complete renovation and we have no idea of the costings (nothing flashy). It needs:

- new kitchen (including wall knocking down to make kitchen-diner)
    - making a large cupboard into upstairs shower room (keep downstairs loo as is)
    - rewired
    - new boiler and central heating throughout
    - new windows and external doors
    - internal doors
    - re-plastering
    - new carpets/flooring throughout
    Also all the old stuff would need ripped out.

Seeing it all listed even without costings makes it look a lot

Thanks in advance for your help
    I love MSE freebies and comps. Thanks posters
Page 1
    • OUNN
    • By OUNN 14th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    OUNN
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    A lot of that depends on the specs you go for.

We did very similar, but down in the south East. So I don't know about Scotland. But for a rough guide:

- New Kitchen (look at DIY Kitchens) was about 5k including appliances and installation. But it depends on the size of your kitchen. Regarding taking down the wall, is it structural? Will it need an RSJ? This will add to the cost.

- Rewire. This was about 4k for us. (South east prices) But I put in a lot of sockets, and CAT6 cable.

- New Boiler and heating. Are you going for a combination boiler? An unvented system? All of these things will affect the cost. Fancy or plain radiators? With a new system boiler, pipework and 10 radiators, ours was about 3.5k.

Having the whole place replastered was about another 3k including boarding the ceilings after we ripped out the old ones.

Will you be living there while all of this is going on?
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 14th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 4,988 Posts
    • 11,249 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    Kitchen is a "how long is a piece of string" question. Factors will include size of the kitchen, number and types of units, quality of the units, type / size of worktop (melamine faced chipboard is thousands cheaper than corian, for example), number and quality of appliances, is more wiring needed, are you going to change the floor covering at the same time (and if yes, to what) and so on.

Mine cost 10k, but I got the bulk of the units and appliances s/h from ebay in as new condition for less than 15% of the new price (bought two units new as it is a current range, and bought a warming drawer and dishwasher as those weren't in the s/h kitchen) and did all the work myself appart from electrics and plastering.

Internal doors can be had for under 50 each, then it's your labour in fitting and painting them.

Carpets / flooring are again a how big, how much do you want to spend question, and so on. So far in this house I've done engineered wood in one bedroom and the hallway, cost me about 35/sq metre for 21mm thick (15mm ply base and 6mm oak) + underlay, fitted by me. The kitchen floor was much more expensive, I spent 800 for slate flags and the adhesive and grout for 12 sq m (including surplus for cutting, none of which I needed) and it took me a couple of weekends to install it. If I'd have gone for lino it would probably have been way cheaper.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • wifefaefife
    • By wifefaefife 14th Apr 18, 12:17 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    wifefaefife
    • 14th Apr 18, 12:17 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 12:17 PM
    Thanks both for replying. I think it!!!8217;s all going to be too expensive. Need to keep saving.
    I love MSE freebies and comps. Thanks posters
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 14th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    For an acceptable spec. I'd budget for 40,000 to 45,000; 55,000 for German units, 100% wool carpets etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

856Posts Today

5,757Users online

Martin's Twitter