Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KerryGold
    • By KerryGold 14th Apr 18, 1:08 AM
    • 82Posts
    • 16Thanks
    KerryGold
    Friends and Family Railcard- Forced to buy duplicate - What can I do with it?
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:08 AM
    Friends and Family Railcard- Forced to buy duplicate - What can I do with it? 14th Apr 18 at 1:08 AM
    Hi there,

After a period of illness, I took my kids on a day out today and forgot to bring my F&F Railcard. The people at the station told me that even though I could prove I was a cardholder by logging into my account, I had to buy another card for my tickets to be valid.

My original card only cost me 23 but I had to pay 30 today (cheaper than the non-discounted fare).

In my opinion, it's beyond ridiculous that I now have 2 valid cards. Do what can I do with the spare one?

Can I get a refund? Or give it to someone else?

I'm furious and so can't cope with the wasted money...

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    • 38,012 Posts
    • 22,109 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    You agreed the TS and cs when buying the card.

Spilt milk now.

Nothing you can do except make sure you have it with you next time.

(And learn to accept responsibility for your own mistakes. Presumably you are "furious" with yourself!(
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 14th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    Keep the one with the longest time left on it obviously.
    • KerryGold
    • By KerryGold 15th Apr 18, 12:04 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    KerryGold
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:04 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:04 AM
    Wow, the least friendly reactions I!!!8217;ve ever had here.

I don!!!8217;t need 2 cards and was hoping to see someone get some use out of the spare.

I think it!!!8217;s ridiculous in this day and age that electronic proof does not suffice. However, I just wanted to know if there was anything legal I could do with the spare to save such waste...
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 15th Apr 18, 2:17 AM
    • 6,546 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:17 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:17 AM
    from the website FAQS;
    Q: What happens if I don't have my Railcard with me and I have to buy a new ticket or pay a Penalty Fare?

A:
    If you are travelling by train on a ticket with a Railcard discount, you must travel with your valid Railcard. If you forget your Railcard you will either be required to buy a new ticket or you may on certain services be liable for a Penalty Fare. However, a train company will normally allow you to claim back this extra expense on the first occasion in each year where this happens. Each train company will have their own process for doing this. You will need to provide proof of your Railcard and either the original and additional tickets that you have purchased, or if you have not yet paid, details of the notice to pay or notice of Penalty Fare. Where you have already paid for additional tickets you should contact the relevant train company!!!8217;s customer services department; in the case of a notice to pay of notice of Penalty Fare, you should follow the instructions included on how to challenge or appeal the charge.

https://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/refunds-replacements/

Note the link above also includes contact details (e-mail address, phone & post)to get in touch with the railcard office
    Last edited by p00hsticks; 15-04-2018 at 2:20 AM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Apr 18, 5:14 AM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:14 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:14 AM
    Wow, the least friendly reactions I!!!8217;ve ever had here.

I don!!!8217;t need 2 cards and was hoping to see someone get some use out of the spare.

I think it!!!8217;s ridiculous in this day and age that electronic proof does not suffice. However, I just wanted to know if there was anything legal I could do with the spare to save such waste...
    Originally posted by KerryGold
    You mistake unfriendly with factual.
    you hoped but its not the case.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Apr 18, 10:11 AM
    • 38,012 Posts
    • 22,109 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:11 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:11 AM
    . , I just wanted to know if there was anything legal I could do with the spare to save such waste...
    See #2

There is nothing you can do legally with the spare.( If you wanted to pass it on to someone else you needed to name them when buying it)

Couldn't you get a refund for the unused tix?

Also try for a goodwill gesture over the second card you bought but didn't needm
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 15th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6,546 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    Couldn't you get a refund for the unused tix?

Also try for a goodwill gesture over the second card you bought but didn't needm
    Originally posted by Quentin
    From my reading there aren't any 'unused tix' - the OP bought a second F&F card in order to make the tickets they already had valid for travel
    • KerryGold
    • By KerryGold 13th Jul 18, 11:57 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    KerryGold
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:57 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:57 PM
    Correct. I have an unused railcard, not unused tickets.

Seems as though I should have been advised to buy full price tickets and get them refunded as a one-off first time offense gesture.

I always try to help people and simply saying "tough luck" doesn't help anyone. There are friendlier ways to share the same bad news.

I won't make the same mistake again!

K.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    • 21,753 Posts
    • 17,636 Thanks
    agrinnall
    There are friendlier ways to share the same bad news.

But it doesn't make the news any less bad. Perhaps you should have told us what you expected to hear and then we could have just said that.

Are you sure you're cut out for interacting on the internet?
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 15th Jul 18, 10:54 AM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 6,230 Thanks
    kinger101
    I believe you were entitled to buy a replacement (i.e., not new) family and friends railcard for a fee of 10.

https://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/help/lost-stolen/

Seems like a staff training issue. They should have known this.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 15th Jul 18, 11:05 AM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 4,164 Thanks
    unforeseen
    I believe you were entitled to buy a replacement (i.e., not new) family and friends railcard for a fee of 10.

https://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/help/lost-stolen/

Seems like a staff training issue. They should have known this.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    As it was neither lost nor stolen then it does not apply. If OP told them they forgot it then they would not even consider the lost/stolen scenario. It falls squarely into attempting to use a railcard discounted ticket without proof of entitlement to the discount.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jul 18, 11:39 AM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    But it doesn't make the news any less bad. Perhaps you should have told us what you expected to hear and then we could have just said that.

Are you sure you're cut out for interacting on the internet?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Maybe wanted buttered up.
    • nomorekids
    • By nomorekids 15th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    nomorekids
    I m shocked at the station staff attitude to be honest. You could prove you had one afterall. I would have thought the station staff be more understanding.

I am about to buy a family and friends railcard and need it for this saturday. I ll happily have your spare one.
    If you want to be rich, never get married and most definitely never have kids
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 15th Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    I m shocked at the station staff attitude to be honest. You could prove you had one afterall. I would have thought the station staff be more understanding.

I am about to buy a family and friends railcard and need it for this saturday. I ll happily have your spare one.
    Originally posted by nomorekids
    As long as you can prove when asked that the name on the card is you??
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 15th Jul 18, 5:12 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    Hi there,

After a period of illness, I took my kids on a day out today and forgot to bring my F&F Railcard. The people at the station told me that even though I could prove I was a cardholder by logging into my account, I had to buy another card for my tickets to be valid.

My original card only cost me 23 but I had to pay 30 today (cheaper than the non-discounted fare).

In my opinion, it's beyond ridiculous that I now have 2 valid cards. Do what can I do with the spare one?

Can I get a refund? Or give it to someone else?

I'm furious and so can't cope with the wasted money...

Thanks!
    You are furious with yourself for not checking you had your railcard with you??
    Or furious that the station staff enforced the terms and conditions that you agreed to on purchase??

Enquire to see if the railcard company will give you a goodwill refund because of your mistake.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy

Originally posted by nomorekids
    So you could simply have multiple people logging into an account to prove they have a railcard.
    These systems work by adhering to very easy T&Cs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,168Posts Today

7,013Users online

Martin's Twitter